Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Hunter Tester
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by Hunter Tester »

Kindle hands down for me. I say this because I travel a lot, and don’t have to pack any books with me. And with a library card, I can read books for free and never run out. I also like how you can look up definitions of words quickly, as you are reading. It’s good for reading in the middle of the night too, because you can have the brightness super low. You don’t have to wake up anyone else either, by turning a light on. These are all the reasons I love my kindle.
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

I am not a convert yet. For now it will still be the feel of the book, the action of turning of the pages . I wonder to what an extent the e-book and paper copy differ in how brain mapping happens. Disregarding the sensory experience and the slight differences, how different is the brain imaging and the commitment to memory perhaps?
cogitononsum
Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogitononsum.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by cogitononsum »

I love the smell of books, honestly, but on the other hand, ebooks are so much easier to carry around, you can adjust their size, and you're saving the enrionment! I'll have to choose ebooks.
Vanessa Leong
Currently Reading: Finish what you start
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessa-leong.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Vanessa Leong »

I think each has its own advantages. I used to be religiously against reading books through digital means. I just didn't like the idea of reading a book through a screen because I grew up reading physical books so that was what was more familiar to me. However, ever since I started commuting to work, carrying a thick and often heavy book with me on my journeys encouraged me to explore the option of ebooks. After purchasing one, I fell in love with it. Yes, it doesn't have that paper smell that we all love and you can't physically flip the pages but it also makes reading so much more convenient and easy when you're on the go. I use a Kindle and it's so light and fits into even my smallest bag. I've read so many more books because of my E-reader and I have had no regrets about getting it.
Shanaian
Favorite Book: Unexpected Enemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanaian.html
Latest Review: Unexpected Enemy by Tim Cagle

Post by Shanaian »

I prefer paperbooks but it takes too long to get newly released ones in the book stores back home, so I have settled for e-books.
mrkhrrn
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mrkhrrn »

I will now take it a step further. If a paperback is your preference, then do you prefer paperback or hardback. In my opinion, I always feel so much more scholarly and cerebral when reading a hardback. Regardless of the genre or author. It is just the heft of the tome that seems to give it credence
smadura4310
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by smadura4310 »

For myself, the paper book idea has come and gone now that we have children. It is all about space management now with toys and children's games.
Khaiden T
Favorite Author: Olaf Stapledon
Currently Reading: The Return of the King
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaidentajigen.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem
fav_author_id: 39743

Post by Khaiden T »

What e-ink readers have done for humanity cannot be underestimated. I think books should continue to be printed on paper as long as it doesn't cause a crisis with the environment. Personally, I am phasing them out of my life for good because I want to detach myself from material things and have the space. But that's where renting comes in! I'm hoping to find a good library once the current situation is over and get physical books here and there while I still have my Kindle as the main reading medium. Before that, though, I have like a couple dozen physical books already that have been sitting on my shelves for years. I'm hoping to read them soon and then donate/sell them.
Last edited by Khaiden T on 10 Apr 2021, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I would go with books, I already get enough screen time as it is. I just want things to not have to look at it.
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

I like both. Having thousands of books in your pocket sounds magical but holding the book is a different kind of joy. Also, I don’t like marking paper books so having the highlight option for ebooks made it easier to save my favorite quotes.
“Just keep swimming.”
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Paper books work soo much better for me. One, I don't feel the strain, which I do when I stare at the screen for too long.
Two, it's super comfortable, I can take it absolutely anywhere with me.
Three, turning pages feels so good.
Four, it doesn't take as long as reading an Ebook does. It's weird but I find that, I take longer when I'm reading on the screen versus reading paper.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

Definitely paper books. I know it is harmful for earth as they use trees to make paper, but staring at a screen is not my favourite too. An e book can never give the feeling of a paper book. Also I love to donate my books to school libraries. And I can't do that with e books.
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

I'm also a fan of real books - nothing feels better than sitting down with a blanket, cup of tea, and book in hand. However, practical reasons have led me to appreciate ebooks over time: I travel a lot and cannot always carry heavy books with me. Ebooks tend to be cheaper than paper books and accessible on multiple devices, which was an important factor for me when I was a broke college kid. And as someone who cares about sustainability, I tell myself that ebooks are better for the environment. That's how I turned from a paper book lover to an ebook lover!
Natalia Nazeem
Favorite Book: The Amulet of Samarkand
Currently Reading: We are Volhuire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalia-nazeem.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Natalia Nazeem »

I love my e-book because of its convenience. The screen isn't like the screen of a phone, or a laptop - so it's much easier on the eyes. The backlight means I'm able to read at night without turning on a light, or disturbing other people. The best part is the fact that I'm able to carry an entire library with me, wherever I go. It means that I'm able to switch books (which I do a lot) without having to get up and find the next book.
The built-in dictionary and translator is also pretty useful, and it means I can learn new words on the fly, or look up sections that are written in Latin or other languages pretty easily. My Kindle is my favorite possession, and though I do love a good paperback for those easy weekend afternoons, I don't think I'll be able to give up the convenience of the ebook.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

I mostly read e-books now but I want to have more physical books. As soon as I have a space of my own and a job, I will start making my library.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”