Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
AngelicG
Currently Reading: Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelicg.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by AngelicG »

I love paperbacks so much. But I read so quickly and it used to be a hassle to carry so many books when I was travelling. I have learnt to love the convenience of having an e-book and the instant gratification of downloading a new book whenever I want. Given how many books I read, I also feel that it is reducing my environmental impact.
char8877
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-char8877.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum

Post by char8877 »

I love flipping the pages of a book but I must admit I started using my Kindle. I especially like the ebook that simulates a turning page. The main reason I enjoy the Kindle is note taking. I can take noted then review the listing of notes and go back for clarification or reference. So much easier than writing down the page number and notes on a sheet of paper.
maiiii_maii
Currently Reading: Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maiiii-maii.html
Latest Review: The Stolen Heir by Tayma Tameem

Post by maiiii_maii »

I prefer paper books because they don't stress my eyes out like what e-books do. Also, I like having physical bookmarks. However, e-books have their pros, too. I like that I can bring them everywhere and have them in just one place -- my phone!
bre2014
Favorite Book: The Stolen Heir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bre2014.html
Latest Review: The Stolen Heir by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by bre2014 »

I would not say no paperback because that's how I started my reading journey, but I like ebooks because I can adjust the front size and the screen light. Ebooks also cause less strain on my eyes.
RazanG
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RazanG »

Paper books are old fashion and are much easier to read, On the contrary ebooks are better than carrying and lugging around.
Lil D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Lil D »

I like to switch between ebook and paper books. The beauty of reading on my phone is the weightlessness and no worries about losing a library book when reading while waiting for an appointment or other activities when away from the woods; or, when reading in the woods. For really long books the weight difference is enormous and I can carry 1000 or more page books around with ease.
Paper books are far easier for prolonged reading (2-3 hours nonstop). It’s less strain on eyes. Normally I can read library books in designated time allotment but it’s easy to renew if a really thick book. I keep the borrowed books right next to my bed so I know that there is a time restraint on them.

As I am usually reading 3 or 4 books at a time, switching back and forth between ebooks and paper bound books keeps me centered on which books I’m reading during different times of the day.
RavingReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravingreads.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by RavingReads »

Having a full bookshelf is definitely something I miss. However, I always remind myself that e-readers are better for the environment. Plus, you kind of still have that library, just online.
Lil D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Lil D »

I live in the forest in a very small home. Ebooks are a life saver. No way could all those books I read each year in here. The library is my other source for books.
Since virus struck, trips to town are not too frequent.
NashTanui
Favorite Book: The Trafficking Murders
Currently Reading: The Not So Great American Novel
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nashtanui.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by NashTanui »

I find joy in flipping the pages of a paper book but I also appreciate the convenience of ebooks. When I am home I read paper books. When I leave the house I prefer ebooks since I can carry lots of books without straining.
bee_16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by bee_16 »

I more prefer having a book. I love seeing my not-so-called-minishelf having a lots of books, but before I used to read some eBooks and it brings me headache and my sight gets blurry. Still, I prefer books than eBooks, but I can still go with eBooks if I didn't find hand bound version of what I want to read. :tiphat: :techie-studyinggray: :lol2:
mariyawu1683
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mariyawu1683 »

I read ebooks :D when I am in the bed
Rie_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rie-reader.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by Rie_reader »

I love both. I love it when I hold and smell the paper books in my hand. But I sometimes prefer the ebook because I can carry my device everywhere and I can read the books anytime, anywhere.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I found it interesting that you said something about liking a full bookshelf! I feel the same way. It means a lot to me to see all of my completed books in one area and the other books that I would like to read in another. It is extremely satisfying.
Leverage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leverage.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Leverage »

Paper book .. my eyes hurt with ebook
SweetSeraphim
Currently Reading: A Brush with Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetseraphim.html
Latest Review: A Search For Truth (2nd Edition) by Sylvia L. Lewis, M.A.

Post by SweetSeraphim »

I actually prefer a hard copy book, but I love having an e-reader especially for trips. I can carry a lot with me in electronic form. My library also has copies only available in the e-format so I would definitely not want to do without it. There is nothing like a good hard copy of a book though.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”