Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by shreyagupta »

though, e-book or kindle seems convenient and advanced there are still some things that make a paper book better.
while reading a paper book i don't have to worry about the RF radiations that can damage my eye sight. also, paper books make concepts like library possible which helps in building communities.
redknitcapgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redknitcapgirl.html
Latest Review: The ultimate love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by redknitcapgirl »

TaraCheshire wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 14:27 This is a very valid point. Why does an Ebook (which costs nothing to send a file out) cost MORE than a physical copy, which had to be printed and shipped?

redknitcapgirl wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 21:21 I would have switched to ebooks for convenience and space saving but, their prices are not much different from physical books. Just the other day while I was looking for a particular book in amazon, I saw that the book's kindle edition in $2 more than the paperback.
I certainly thought about the same. We also have to take into account the e-reader/digital device you'd have to buy just to read e-books, and it simply was not worth it for me.

When they were first released, I honestly thought it'd be the end of paper books. Boy am I glad I was wrong. They would have been more appealing if they were cheaper. But to be honest, I still wouldn't get one because there's no other joy for me (reading-wise) besides flipping pages of a book.
shirleym89
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirleym89.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by shirleym89 »

I strongly believe that both are equally great and carry equal substance. I do not believe any one over the other.
Cosmobrown1968
Currently Reading: The Light Ages
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Cosmobrown1968 »

I wouldn't be without my Kindle app on my phone and tablet. Physical books take up so much space and you are limited when travelling to just a few titles. There are also so many good quality free ebooks available that I'm never without something to read.

I'll admit that ebooks are not so good for reference books so i would still prefer these as a hard copy.

I've just discovered that my local library will lend ebooks and audiobooks via an app so I can borrow and return them without leaving my armchair
amandaabend
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by amandaabend »

I used to feel the same way about introducing technology into the classroom, and then I became a teacher. LOL. I once thought that e-books were in danger of replacing paperbacks, but now I can truly see the value in tablets. True, e-readers decrease the sale of paperback books, but that does not mean that books aren't being sold or read. They are being read just as much, only in a different format! There are tons of benefits that come with digital readers now... it makes annotating easier, and there are options for students and teachers to access materials more quickly, both for learning and grading. And I love having a built-in reading lamp for night reading!! Of course there are drawbacks, like not being able to monitor their internet access, or for adults maybe having too much screen time, but there are lots of positives that e-readers have brought. Paperbacks will never go out of style, collectors and libraries will always have a market for them, but I also cannot dismiss the benefits of e-reading.
Misslokey
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: B08GZG9747

Post by Misslokey »

:D I prefer ebooks. It's simple and easy to use. Don't have to worry about pages ripping. Or kids getting to it. Easy to use when on the road. Paper Books are over rated, and old school
laurenmcnew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by laurenmcnew »

I love having the actual book in my hand. I have tried an ereader and didnt really like it. I like the smell of old books and the ability to just sit and look at my collection on the shelves.
beatrice_mom

Post by beatrice_mom »

I prefer traditional paper books, but they need a lot of storage space, and they cost a lot now. I buy my favorite works, but such that it’s just for acquaintance, what I’m not sure if I want to read it again, I read it in electronic form.
prachi29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prachi29.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by prachi29 »

I just love the feel of a book. It helps me relax.
Swamp witch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swamp-witch.html
Latest Review: Evolution's Edge by J.K. Pascall , Aaron E. Davis

Post by Swamp witch »

I do enjoy holding my book. But I have the misfortune of having fibromyalgia, which basically means pain and fatigue. Sometimes the pain is so severe I cannot hold a book for very long. The logistics of balancing, tilting, turning pages etc agrivates my struggling muscles and amplifies all my symptoms a hundred fold. When it gets that bad the e-reader can assist by being propt against a pillow, requiring the lightest of touches to scroll up the page. A real book when well will always be my first choice, but I am eternally grateful for being able to continue to read courtesy of an e-book when I am unwell and struggling.
waelen

Post by waelen »

I noticed that my answer depends on what I'm reading, some books I'd rather read them in paper while others are better on my ebook. It might sound weird but it works for me lol
+Grammy

Post by +Grammy »

E books have become the best way for me to enjoy reading. I’m not a TV watcher, so I read every evening for 2-3 hours. I also live in a rural area, local library just can’t provide me with enough choice! And my closest bookstore is over a 2 hour drive. I do order some ‘real’ books online/Amazon. But most of my reading is on my Kindle.
christydistel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by christydistel »

I personally like both. A good book is a good book. That being said, ebooks are more convenient, where paper books are just lovely. They smell geat and just have a cozy appeal.
EmerwenC
Currently Reading: Ballet Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 54

Post by EmerwenC »

Of course, a paper book is much more enjoyable to read than an ebook! Ebooks have their place, but they aren't really an experience to read.
Paper books are so immersive! They feel nice, and sound nice, and even smell nice!
I don't know about anyone else, but there's also something special about a second hand book store as well! It feels like each book not only contains a story, but also has a history to it. I always wish I could know who owned an old book before I found it somewhere, unwanted and forgotten. I wonder if someone else felt the same reverence and love for it's crinkled brown pages as I feel? I don't really mind if an old book has someone's name written in it, or if it's a bit stained or torn. It all adds to the personality of each book!
And you also don't need electricity to read a paperback, it doesn't run out of battery!
So, yeah, long story short: books are better than ebooks.
Mhanlon2

Post by Mhanlon2 »

I love a good book. I've tried ebooks once or twice but it doesn't compare to the feel of real books. Being able to curl up with a good book and warm tea. Reading on real pages doesn't strain my eyes as much. I also love real books because of the smell of the books between the pages. One of my favorite smells.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”