Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by Magnify3 »

I have always liked paper books and still do. My shelves are too small and there are books in so many places in my room. I recently took to ebooks but I just can not help the feel of flicking a page and holding a book and curling on the bed with it in my hands. I don't enjoy reading on the tablet as much. Neither do I enjoy the battery going low. So paper books still come first.
B_evans
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-evans.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by B_evans »

I usually prefer physical books so I can collect them and see them on my shelves, but e-books do have advantages. Portability and easy access are great, as well as the way they create their own light. It wasn't until I started reading almost exclusively ebooks to review them that I realized how much I really like hardbacks. The smell and feel can't be beaten. I miss them!
dbraden5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by dbraden5 »

I definitely prefer a real book; however, my Kindle is lighter to hold. As the arthritis in my hands get worse, I may have to use my Kindle more.

I love the look and feel of a real book. I love seeing the outside cover, and I love the feel of turning a real page. I like seeing how far I am in the book. My eyes also prefer real pages vs. electronic pages!
bobbyRG
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bobbyRG »

I do prefer ebooks most of the time, but sometimes take a paper book with me in the vacation.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

I prefer ebook, only because it’s easier to store lots of books on one device. Rather than having lots of paperback books, which will take up a lot of space.
beatricemanuel
Currently Reading: L'Étranger
Bookshelf Size: 586
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatricemanuel.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by beatricemanuel »

I would choose a paperback over an ebook any day.

I love the feel of having a book in my hands and snuggling in for a good read after a long day. I also love the smell of the pages (as weird as that sounds). You can't get that with an ebook.

That being said, given the fact that I travel around a lot and it became problematic for my family to ship a thousand books around from country to country (I'm not kidding about the thousand), my parents gifted me a Kindle and asked me to cut down on buying paper books until we settle down in one place.

Fair enough. E-readers are practical but can't replace the magic of a book in its flesh!
JT1989
Currently Reading: The Scent of Distant Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by JT1989 »

I prefer the real thing but use both. If I want a book and it’s unavailable for any reason I will buy ebook. Also don’t want to risk my books when I’m out of the house (bags are hard on books) so I’ll read ebooks when I’m out and actual books at home.

On top of that I have a baby at home who is too young for her own room yet so reading an ebook with the lights off at night is a lot easier than having the light on for an actual book.
Caryn castle
Currently Reading:

Post by Caryn castle »

I have found a serious need for both. My physical book is good for the beach and when I’m in bed or bathroom, lol :D I love the smell and feel of a physical book. It also doesn’t require batteries.

I find that the Kindle app on my iPad is great for traveling. I can have several books to choose from. I can adjust the font size, page color and other things for day or night. It’s not easy to read in the dark but I can do that with my ebook.

Honestly..... the older I get I can see the increase use of my ebook simply for visibility.
Zion Mesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zion-mesa.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Zion Mesa »

Hard copy, but since I moved to a place with no library I've had to switch to ebook. I'm grateful for whoever invented them.
Claudia Thornton
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-thornton.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Claudia Thornton »

I agree with one of the authors opinion about an e-book reader. I love to read all kinds of books, I have discovered authors I never knew about and have never seen in a bookstore and I'm really loving them. I have so many favorite authors and I'm having trouble keeping up. I have read at least 50 books over the last few weeks. I have also discovered many authors that ordinarily bookshops don't carry and that you would have to special order. Also by having an e-book reader some authors tend to be cheaper than getting a paperback copy. This is not true for all authors of course, not for the popular and well known ones anyway like Nora Roberts or Catherine Coulter, but certainly for a lot of the authors I'm currently reading. Mostly those that write about the paranormal supernatural, though I do like mysteries and thrillers as well. My Samsung Galaxy is so convenient and easy to carry. I can ready one and immediately start another. The only problem with it is the Internet connection is rather poor and a lot of times websites will not come up even if you're somewhere that has a decent Internet connection. Still I download what books I want when I can and that's mostly at home, where the Internet connection works properly.
Charli Burn
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Charli Burn »

Personally, a paper copy of a book is always superior( at least to me ).
Books provide some comfort, and relaxing with a good novel in your hand is the greatest way to spend an afternoon.

That’s why I joined this site, to discuss books with likeminded book lovers. :D
S169-45z

Post by S169-45z »

I do love paper books but have an allergy to paper dust. Since I love to read favorite books again and again, my Nook allows me to re-read. I also love the convenience of having over a hundred books to choose from when I am traveling.
Geist39
Favorite Book: The Soul Thief
Currently Reading: Spells & Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geist39.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Geist39 »

Honestly, I prefer paper book. But some paper book are expensive and I can't afford it. I dream to have a big book shelf or owned my own library. Right now I can only read book in ebook. Not only priceless, I know where to download it and I can read anywhere everywhere just using my phone.
***I don't read books to get smart I read to escape reality**●~●***
SirLaddie
Favorite Author: Brian O'Hare
Favorite Book: Beneath the Dark Ice
Currently Reading: The Everything Creative Writing
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirladdie.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 46107

Post by SirLaddie »

I love an actual paperback or hardcover book but I also love my Kindle app on my tablet. Ever since grade school, I have carried a book with me everywhere I go. I still do. Kindle allows me to not only carry my book with me but I have all of my books available to me. I also love the ability to purchase a book anywhere anytime. If I finish a book and want to start another one I can immediately.
James Edwards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-edwards.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by James Edwards »

Call me old fashioned but I prefer to hold a real book in my hands when reading. I like a physical book to put on my bookshelf so that I can show off my collection and reread anytime I want.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”