Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Gabsterella_bella
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by Gabsterella_bella »

I LOVE the feel of paper. I just love being able to hold a tangible book. It makes me feel smarter and more accomplished to have the tangible book in front of me instead of using a tablet or an e book reader. I have a Kindle and an iPad, but it is just not the same. I don't think I could ever fully switch to a virtual e reader due to the fact that I just love the physical book so much. I also love seeing the collection of hardcover or paperback books come together. There is something so satisfying about it. I also get headaches quite easily from the lighting which makes the physical book more appealing to me as well.
imaginesunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imaginesunshine.html
Latest Review: Voice of the Elders by Greg Ripley

Post by imaginesunshine »

I personally like both. I love paper books because it's exciting to hold a new book. And you can tell just how long it is just by looking at the thickness of it. There is nothing better than getting into a good series that has nice thick books. The longer the book, the more you can hang onto the story.

On the other hand I also love my Kindle. It has helped me save so much space in my room. I used to have boxes of books. I'm one of those people that doesn't want to let go of a book once it has been read. I want to keep it in case I want to read it again one day. The Kindle lets me hold on to books while not having to sacrifice floor space. And as much as I love a good thick book, it does tend to hurt my wrists after holding them for a while. My Kindle also has an adjustable light built in so I can read no matter how bright or dark it is where I am.
Brianna_Buchert

Post by Brianna_Buchert »

I find it satisfying to look over a collections of paper books and to feel and hear the pages. But, I must admit, I appreciate the easy transportation of Ereaders and being able to fall asleep with one without worrying that I crumpled it.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

I am mostly an E-reader. It is definitely simpler with ebook to take a book or many while travelling without any extra weight. For some people it is also a less expensive way to read novels.
Hugo_W
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyj.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Game Ever Played...Maybe by Otto L. Wheeler

Post by Hugo_W »

Paperbacks are really nice to me and i like collecting them on shelves and things like that. Plus book smell is one of the best things to me.

That said, though, i prefer reading later in the day (read: very late) and since my parrot is inside of my room, i can't have the lights on...so it's either sitting in a kitchen chair or an ebook. I honestly like both!! Physical copies in the room certainly remind me to read more, too. And i have these cute little fake sproutling page markers...so i can't choose.
Lorriebritt27
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Lorriebritt27 »

I like both ebooks and paper back though if I have to choose I'm for paper back. For me there is something claiming when I have 1 of my books in my hand seeing me holding it, feeling its weight and being able to flip through the pages and being able to smell the pages.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

E-book is my thing cause I read it anytime anywhere, I don't mind.
robinburtch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by robinburtch »

Hands down, a real, solid page turner! There's something about marking your spot in a book, or perusing to find your place. The weight of a book in your arms, or pack. I love having a paper book in hand. Ebooks are fine, and I have my share of them downloaded, but I do like a nicely stocked bookshelf in my home.
cosmic_juno

Post by cosmic_juno »

I prefer physical books because I like holding the actual text in my hands, turning the pages, etc. It just feels more real to me. That might sound obvious but it’s the best way I can explain it lol. Also I’ve found I focus better when I have the physical book instead of using my phone since if I get a notification or think of an app I can get sidetracked.
And I find it is far more convenient for annotating!
spirituallove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirituallove.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by spirituallove »

I will always love paper books. There is no way that an e-book can ever compare to the multi-sensory experience of a paper book. First, you have the texture of the book, the feel of it's cover. I always love to see the intricate binding of a book. You can actually feel the weight of the book, and this makes it feel real, thus adding to the sensory enjoyment. This may seem strange, but I always like the smell of a brand new book. E-books are convenient, but the joy they provide is incomparable to a real paper book.
spirituallove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirituallove.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by spirituallove »

Gabsterella_bella wrote: 18 Jul 2019, 23:08 I LOVE the feel of paper. I just love being able to hold a tangible book. It makes me feel smarter and more accomplished to have the tangible book in front of me instead of using a tablet or an e book reader. I have a Kindle and an iPad, but it is just not the same. I don't think I could ever fully switch to a virtual e reader due to the fact that I just love the physical book so much. I also love seeing the collection of hardcover or paperback books come together. There is something so satisfying about it. I also get headaches quite easily from the lighting which makes the physical book more appealing to me as well.
Me too! I also find that e-books can induce headaches, so I prefer a physical book.
Jake7542
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Jake7542 »

Exactly, happy to see the majority of the replies to this forum preferred physical paper books. Not only is it better for the eyes, but you get the proper feel of the book as you can have special edition covers with textures. Another key factor that needs to be taken into consideration is the fact that it can easily be passed down to the next generation where as with the digital copies, not only can files get corrupt, but the account needs to remain active and so on...
Lilith J Tennant

Post by Lilith J Tennant »

I always loved the good old feeling of paper, its scent and the sound of the pages as I turned them. The fact that e-readers lack of these factors made me, at first, think that I will have ended up hating them. Surprisingly, it turned out that I actually enjoyed the lightness and practicality of them (especially while travelling or on public transports) so much that I found myself reading e-books more often than paper ones!
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

I love physical copies any day! I was slightly disturbed at discovering the fact that paper industries are the third-largest contributor to environmental pollution but the fact that more and more publishing industries are adopting FSC certified papers puts me at ease.
A ship may be safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are meant for.
hmweiler

Post by hmweiler »

I am personally an avid reader with both. Although, I do read more with my Kindle as it gives me more flexibility in options readily available and ease, I still refuse to purchase any books specifically for it. I am set on only using Kindle Unlimited and borrowing ebooks from my local library. With that being said, I have an extensive hard cover book collection and cannot imagine not having that in my life either.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”