Can e-books replace paperbacks?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Re: Can e-books replace paperbacks?

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

asmaahsan wrote: 07 Jan 2013, 14:48 Nothing gives me more pleasure than a well-written, well-bound book in my hands.

I was an avid reader untill my early twenties when I became a mother and committed home-maker. I didnt read books anymore as I didnt get the time to sit and marvel at an excellent piece of literature. I started reading a lot of stuff on the internet.

As e-books became more popular, I found it so convenient to read them!

I read a lot online. I enjoy e-books now because in the middle of my concentrated reading sessions, if some phrase comes up that confuses me or gives me a sense of deja vu, I can always look it up immediately online, something thats a bit inconvenient if you are curled up with a book and the internet access is not close at hand.

Its easy to read an e-book on an android phone or some other modern internet enabled device and you can always pretend that you are checking your mail if amongst company that may label you as being a bookworm, something you may not like to be considered.

That e-books are the future of reading is a certainty, no doubt, but book lovers like me will always try to unearth and treasure those timeless collector's editions that you would only leave to someone who loves books as much as you, as your legacy.
Agreed! Preach! I often reminisce about the days when all I read were hard copies. :tiphat:
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

E-books are convenient and easier to use. However, it feels different when you have real books on hand. It seems like it's really yours to keep.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

E-books can't replace paperbacks but then again they are more convenient to use.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I will say that e books are great and I love them. But I also hope that they never completely replace real books because it is so much better to hold one in hand
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Personally, I do not feel that the ebook would be able to triumph over the physical book. Although I do recognise the efficiency and convenience of having ebooks – it saves space, time and money – the smell of a new book is unparalleled.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I read a lot on my tablet and phone but I ALWAYS purchase paper copies of my favorite books. I love the look of them on the bookshelf at home and it further supports the author.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

Despite the predictions that physical books were becoming obselete, they are still going strong and even increasing. Digital is handy but physical is personal. Curling up on a couch or in the hammock with a physical book is a luxury and a pleasure that can't be replicated, for me, by a screen.
Cristal2408
Favorite Book: Magic Shifts
Currently Reading: El honor perdido de Katharina Blum
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristal2408.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by Cristal2408 »

There are pros and cons to both options. Favorites are definitely physical while quick reads are ebooks. This has to do with the implication that a well cared for physical book lasts much longer (over 100 years) than an electronic book reader (5-7 years).
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Like many others, I am getting used to reading E-books, either on a Kindle or online. It is a very useful feature to be able to search for something online. However, as I spend a lot of time online doing other related tasks it could never completely take away my preference for a good book to hold as I read. I have some that are like dear friends that I have known for quite some time.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I do not think e-books will ever completely replace paperbacks because people I think enjoy the look and feel of an actual book. However, I think they will continue to grow in popularity, especially since they make it so easy for authors to self-publish and for individuals to have instant access to a book.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
WarBabyMoon
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by WarBabyMoon »

I refuse to read on an e-reader. I have to have the feel of a real book in my hands in order to read. Nothing shall ever replace that feeling! Eeep! Must read...
wolfloneshadow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by wolfloneshadow »

I also feel that reading a real book, whether hardcover or paperback, gives people a retreat from the high tech world. It's like an escape into another world. People spend too much time on computers and need a break.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

I go for the real thing! The smell of new books is just heavenly!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I love books, period. It does not matter to me if they are printed versions or electronic ones. I have met a lot of people who say they are uncomfortable with e-books. While that is a matter of personal choice, I find much depends on habit as well. Since my childhood, I was solely dependent on printed books. But once I got access to a laptop and a smartphone, reading became easier for me for two reasons- one, there are huge stashes of free ebooks available online, just waiting to be downloaded.Secondly, I can carry my entire library with me and also, this is a no-brainer- I can read anywhere. I have seen people reading printed books while standing in a crowded public bus. Unfortunately, I haven't mastered that feat yet, so e-books do great for me. And of course, added bonus- I can check any word/reference anything online.
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber

Post by asmaahsan »

Thankyou so much for keeping this 5 year old post alive. 😊

Fairly recently, I found a hard cover copy of ‘Little Women’, the abridged version nestled lovingly in a book shelf in my friend’s living room.

Such a blast from the past!

I looked at it, then at her, and said,

“Even you?”

☺️

I guess we are all in the same boat.

The Book crazy lot.

Can’t live without them.
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”