Some fact about ebooks reading

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Re: Some fact about ebooks reading

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I have found that I read ebooks a lot quicker than actual books...I tested that theory out last month and read an actual book versus an ebook and it took me two weeks compared to a few days. Granted it was also around Christmas time but regardless the pace the book was read was significantly slower than reading an ebook.
Bfrisco
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bfrisco.html
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp

Post by Bfrisco »

Hmmm. I feel like I read at about the same speed whether I'm reading a physical book or an ebook, but I've never timed it! It certainly doesn't feel slower!
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp
Harika16
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harika16.html

Post by Harika16 »

I personally like my Nook. It was the first model and has a screen that actually looks like paper. I find myself having a hard time reading on laptops or desktops because I am not physically holding anything in my hands. But, a book is a book, and the amount of time you take reading it should be up to you. Enjoy books as much as possible, that's the most important thing.
nan m
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nan-m.html
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook

Post by nan m »

When I read I just READ. Slow and fast doesnt matter. :P When I'm glued to the story I leave it only when it is finished. :oops:
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:I have found that I read ebooks a lot quicker than actual books...I tested that theory out last month and read an actual book versus an ebook and it took me two weeks compared to a few days...the pace the book was read was significantly slower than reading an ebook.
I agree with you, TrishaAnn, because I did much the same thing over a period of six weeks. My theory is that I treat electronic reading as a disposable medium (not worthy of keeping) whereas a paper book is a tangible item (worthy of keeping) and I savour it more.

Perhaps a way to test the Faster or Slower theory is:

1. Compare a paper book against different reading devices and eReaders and their functions.
2. Compare the length and genre of both paper and ebooks.
3. Compare the purchase of paper books against the purchase of ebooks (and likewise library loans).
4. Compare variable conditions under which both paper books and ebook might be read.

Plus factors like (a) time available to read (b) health issues and (c) reading for work or leisure.

It's a personal thing, I guess - and what does it matter if clinical research finds out one way or the other?
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Jolijt
Currently Reading: Tell the Wolves Im Home

Post by Jolijt »

The time it takes me to complete a page is the same on reader and on paper. However since you can adjust the light and font size and an ereader is easier to hold (for me anyway, because I will never ever crack a spine), I finish a book more quickly on a reader than on paper.

And since I have iBooks on my iPhone I even read in line at the supermarket, while waiting for the children at school etc.
The fact that I do not need a light, that will make my husband aware that I'm (still) reading, makes me read even more books in a year.
Bloopers in my spelling or grammar?? A PM will be greatly appreciated... I do (almost) anything to improve my English!
paperbackreader10

Post by paperbackreader10 »

I have just bought a tablet and put a few kindle books onto it and looking forward to testing out which is the quicker. I like carrying a book with me, so not sure I'll get used to carrying my tablet.
mbeasley
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbeasley.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by mbeasley »

I do think that I read slower on my Nook, but it's so convenient especially because I read multiple books at a time. I can get away with just carrying one tablet in my person instead of several books.
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Post by Reading lady »

I certainly haven't noticed a difference in the speed I read books. Don 't see why there would be a difference. The Kindle is lighter and easier to hold so that actually helps, I think. No big book to bend open.
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
nurse38

Post by nurse38 »

I feel like I read faster on my old kindle without the back lighting. The kindle on my phone hurts my eyes after about an hour of reading. However, I use my phone app a lot more, cause its always with me. I will have to look into these studies more. I have always felt like I was done with books faster on my kindle compared to my real books.
Tai900
Favorite Author: Ash Stone
Favorite Book: Capital D

Post by Tai900 »

I heard some have ebooks have fewer pages on an e-reader than the print edition, because of the book size?? I haven't come across that yet.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Tai900 wrote:I heard some have ebooks have fewer pages on an e-reader than the print edition, because of the book size?? I haven't come across that yet.
I think that has to do with different formatting styles or typefaces and a different understand of what constitues a page.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Tai900
Favorite Author: Ash Stone
Favorite Book: Capital D

Post by Tai900 »

I think that has to do with different formatting styles or typefaces and a different understand of what constitues a page.[/quote]

That makes sense. :D
LittleWilma
Favorite Author: Jeff Melton
Favorite Book: Dark Destiny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlewilma.html

Post by LittleWilma »

I read faster on my Kindle than I do with regular books. It's most likely because the Kindle doesn't strain my eyes as much as regular books.
"I like liquor — its taste and its effects — and that is just the reason why I never drink it."
-Stonewall Jackson
Amsha
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsha.html
Latest Review: "Trophy Target" by Allen Mitchum

Post by Amsha »

I don't notice the difference when I read actual books or an e-reader. I guess if you're just skimming what you read then you would be fast indeed.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."

-George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Trophy Target" by Allen Mitchum

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”