Parenting and e-Books/e-Reader apps

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Parenting and e-Books/e-Reader apps

Post by cdhundley »

I much prefer physical books. That said, my job, which involves a lot of reading on the run, is very screen intensive. I come home and read, but increasingly find myself reading newspapers and journal articles on my phone for work and e-books on my phone. My wife, meanwhile, uses a Kindle.

We've implemented "no screen-time periods" with our kids, make sure they are outside and active, and require their reading involve physical books. But I wanted to ask what people think of the merits of ebooks/readers, as our society - and our children - become increasingly enthralled with screen time.
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I think that, as with all things, there's a point at which too much is not good, but some kids find it easier to learn and to read that way.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

To be honest, although I'm not a parent, I support your strategy as I believe that the time kids spend on digital devices has to be monitored and cut down a notch.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

I think what you are doing is great because a control of screen time is essential anyway.
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlblawrence.html
Latest Review: We Don't Just Eat Lettuce! by Allyn Raifstanger

Post by Jlblawrence »

My kids have tablets and I'm happy to say that they've learned a ton from them! But even though they're learning, if I'm reading with them, I'd rather read a physical book. I've found that I'm able to find books I wanted on the tablets, but I don't like to read to them in that format. I like the tablets for my kids' own enrichment, but I won't choose them for together time.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

I'm a young parent, so I grew up with the electronic craze growing around me. Even so, I love physical books. But that doesn't mean I don't see the value in ebooks and the like. My one-year-old daughter loves her hardcopy books, but when she's a little older, I intend to introduce her to tablets, etc., because that is what schools will be predominately using, especially after the virus outbreak.
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

To be honest, I have a strong opinion that the time kids spend on digital devices has to be monitored and to be advised. They should always be under parental control when it comes to digital media.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

I think it is good time for kids to get aquatinted to these technologies and however there should be a limit in the extent of the usage among the kids.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”