Who benefits from free eBooks?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
BookCollecting101
2017 Reading Goal: 75
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcollecting101.html

Re: Who benefits from free eBooks?

Post by BookCollecting101 » 24 May 2016, 01:10

I can see why an emerging author would benefit from free ebook publishing as they get to be introduced to readers who should then want to buy everything the author writes following the free book.

That being said, I cannot understand why these authors publish the drek I have found on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Books are put out there that have little to no editing. If a book is really bad, I take a moment to highlight the many errors (sometimes 3 or 4 on EVERY PAGE!). I fantasize sending the corrected copy to the authors and give them the opportunity to correct all of those errors in spelling, punctuation, and word usage. Then there are the glaring errors in continuity. A character dies on page 50 and then on page 65 is alive in a scene. Or even characters who have two or three names through the book. And is it really so hard to learn the correct uses of there, they're or too and to - the list goes on. Editing is an important part of writing. If I am willing to committ to read what they have written for hours on end - they should have the respect for me to make sure they are delivering a clean, tight book. It really makes me crazy... :doh:

adria_charles
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles » 04 Jun 2016, 13:13

kalexanderr wrote:I love free ebooks. While I still choose to purchase the majority of my books, the free ebooks are very convenient and have expended my genre of books tremendously. I believe it also gives the authors great exposure as well because a great free ebook causes me to search the author for more great books they have written. I always look up the book reviews before choosing a free ebook so I have yet to run across a bad one that's been offered for free.
This is exactly why I enjoy free ebooks as well. It has exponentially increased my genre reading preferences. I will also include that much of the free ebooks I read are within a series and following the free first book I will generally pay for the following books within the sequence, so the author still makes a profit off of their writing.
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

nymeriastar
2017 Reading Goal: 6
Favorite Author: Robert Galbraith
Currently Reading: Autobiography of a Terrorist
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nymeriastar.html
fav_author_id: 2890

Post by nymeriastar » 07 Jul 2016, 21:37

I see it as a way of self-promoting...and most free kindle books I seen are free for a specific time period, then full price again.

Jojonierends77

Post by Jojonierends77 » 31 Jul 2016, 20:53

The author and the reader's mind maybe :D

Snoop1911

Post by Snoop1911 » 02 Aug 2016, 19:59

Authors and readers benefit. The author gets exposure and the readers can discover new authors or just add another book to their collection. Many balk at free books as the perception is they aren't as good as paid books, but I've read subpar paid books as well. Often the author wants to get their name out or even just a few reviews to improve their writing. Either way if you like the book great if not hey it was free.

Amh73090
2017 Reading Goal: 30
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 » 17 Aug 2016, 09:37

The free ebooks I've come across are not always good quality books. Therefore the readers often times don't benefit. The only way authors benefit is by getting their name out there and free publicity.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

waluhyo
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by waluhyo » 19 Aug 2016, 07:14

not have to pay

Namrata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namrata.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Namrata » 19 Aug 2016, 07:28

Definitely all book lovers would benefit from free ebooks. But I realized that one needs to sift through these ebooks to find the good book. Most books I've seen are heavy on romance or have explicit sexual exploits etc. The purity and passion is missing.

Maria T
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-t.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria T » 20 Aug 2016, 16:39

Ebooks are often free on Amazon to A, help readers get interested in a series or B, to help more people learn about an author. It's not that the author thinks their book isn't worth it but that they're trying to get more exposure.

kebanfi
Currently Reading: Paper Princess
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebanfi.html

Post by kebanfi » 20 Aug 2016, 23:25

I agree with the person above me. Authors are usually looking to get their work out there when they offer the book for free. When readers are unfamiliar with an author they are more likely to read a book which they can get for free.

CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 502
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: Two Wrongs by Anthony L. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by CatInTheHat » 21 Aug 2016, 08:09

As a reader, it is often the way I check out a new author. I'm not spending much on an unknown. I have bought second and third books after reading a freebie.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Hneite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reading Device: B00NBOYRNS

Post by Hneite » 22 Aug 2016, 07:58

I find it a good way to get to know new authors, and i willingly buy other books if they are good. The only losers is the bookstores.

StacyWV

Post by StacyWV » 01 Sep 2016, 16:46

Yes, many authors will make their first-in-series books free to try to hook new fans who will then be more likely to buy their other books... ti's a great marketing technique for writers, especially the self-published indie writers. I don't think it is a blight on the industry really... it is just as easy for an indie author to write a completely horrid book and charge 9.99 for it.

There is an interesting write-up of the data showing that at a certain point of books in a series, or books published the free-first book does help market the author, but in some cases they make more money without going the free route. I think it is still viable as a marketing tool for the new indie authors though. The article can be read on the Author Earnings website (I can't post the link to it as a new member heheh)

DarthMom25
2017 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Deadly Design
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darthmom25.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DarthMom25 » 09 Oct 2016, 22:44

Personally, if I read a free book that I really like, I will more than likely go buy more books by that author. A lot of it is just to get authors exposure, or, as StacyWV pointed out, to hook readers into a series by offering the first book free.

Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa » 09 Oct 2016, 23:36

I personally tend to not read free eBooks. Free books tend to not be written or edited as well, or else the author would think more of their work than giving it away. Sometimes, there are some good free ones but it's just pretty rare.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”