Who benefits from free eBooks?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
rahul11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Who benefits from free eBooks?

Post by rahul11 »

Everyone !!!! reader gets it free,writer when realize that book is unable to generate income he allows free download and gets some marketing done for his own name ,websites gets the click.
GMAN
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by GMAN »

The writer benefits if the reader likes the book and decides to find more. The reader benefits because they save money and see if the author is worth reading. I rarely finish most free indies and even more rarely continue with any series.
When I did a 3 day freebie I had an explosion of sales for my other Books.
kalexanderr

Post by kalexanderr »

I love free ebooks. While I still choose to purchase the majority of my books, the free ebooks are very convenient and have expended my genre of books tremendously. I believe it also gives the authors great exposure as well because a great free ebook causes me to search the author for more great books they have written. I always look up the book reviews before choosing a free ebook so I have yet to run across a bad one that's been offered for free.
amaziah19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amaziah19.html

Post by amaziah19 »

The author gets some exposure. Other than that, I don't see anyone but the reader benefiting.

Classics are brought to eyes that normally wouldn't have selected them if they had to pay for them. So, that's a plus.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

bcling wrote:As an avid reader of free e-books, I can definitely say I benefit from free e-books! But I'd also like to add that some authors do also benefit. When I read a free book that I really enjoy, I often will go to Amazon and find more by the same author and purchase, sometime multiple books at a time. I see the free books as a chance to sample what the author is like. Of course there are times when I didn't enjoy a book and I know that I will probably bypass others by that author.
I totally agree, but I'm aware that traditional companies are struggling as well. I use to feel guilty about free eBooks, but reading is reading and its all legal.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
polly-petkova
Currently Reading: Dao de jing
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polly-petkova.html

Post by polly-petkova »

I think if I was in charge of the world I would make a law that would make all books free after their fifth year of being on the market! That way the writer gets the money, then the credit and wide recognition!
CeeCee Brown
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceecee-brown.html

Post by CeeCee Brown »

The free ebooks are just a way to learn about authors and to test the waters to see if you like their writing skills. Most free books are a part of a series, so you get your feet wet and have to purchase the rest of the series. I have spent as much as twenty bucks on a kindle series. I then got smart and purchased the ten dollar monthly subscription( you read all the books in the subscription for free). That ten bucks has saved me a lot of money. Actually everyone involves benefits, the author, the reader, and amazon, pretty much a win win. When you read like I do a good book can be a lifesaver
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Just about everyone! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I think the author benefits because they are getting more exposure. Also, if it is a well written book then it would encourage readers to buy more from the author so it's a win win for them.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Fran wrote:I am be very sceptical of free ebooks (excluding public domain books of course) ...... it does strike me that if the author doesn't think his/her work is worth paying for then why on earth would they think I'd want to spend my valuable time reading it. IMO something free is generally not worth a whole lot .... but that's just me!
I agree with you, unless the synopsis of a free ebook is amazing...I won't read it because to me it just seems like it might be a low quality book and the only way someone would read it is because it is free :P
simplysara
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplysara.html

Post by simplysara »

As a reader, I can tell you that authors of serials benefit from free eBooks! Once I get hooked on a book from a series, I HAVE to read them ALL. I try to get them free, such as from the library. Then I try to get the books at a discount, through my local used book store. Sometimes, though, as in the case of the After series by Anna Todd, I HAD to buy them because I had to have it NOW. This might not be a great example because my first book in that particular series wasn't free (I bought the paperback at Target), but the serial concept is the same.
I think it also helps build up reviews. Plus, a book blogger might pick it up and blog about it. There are a number of ways I think free eBooks benefit the author. The benefits to readers are obvious, I think!
morningcoffeevic
Currently Reading: The Last Survivors
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by morningcoffeevic »

As a student, who is living off student loans and can't work due to health reasons. I love beinging able to find ebooks for super cheap or free to get and read. Most of the ebooks I read are from emerging authors who are just trying to make a name for themselves. So I think that both students or people of low income who love to read, and young authors benefit from the ebook craze. Overall if I can find a really great book for cheap, I am so excited, that I tell all my friends about it and they go out and get a copy for themselves. We also all write reviews. All this being said, I think ebooks are a great idea, and helping more people get access to books, and more people's work to be read.
kklaudi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kklaudi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kklaudi »

I am bit sceptical about free ebooks, unless they are classics and so public. For some reason they are not inviting enough, maybe cause I have had few disappointments.
But then again I understand both authors and publishers. I guess it is much easier to break through for free, or at least to catch some interest .
Fighting_lotus
Currently Reading: The Fiery Cross
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fighting-lotus.html

Post by Fighting_lotus »

The Author benefits and losses the most at the same time from free eBooks. They are essentially taking no pay for months if not years of hard work to gain free marketing for their creation . Most of the free eBooks I have read were all self published fantasy books. They mostly had interesting and compelling ideas but fell short. Some were a good read but most were raw and sorely in need of a good editor.
Fighting_lotus
Currently Reading: The Fiery Cross
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fighting-lotus.html

Post by Fighting_lotus »

I think the Authors receive the biggest benefit and loss from free eBooks. They essentially give away what took months or years to achieve for a little free advertising. Most of the free eBooks I have read had wonderfully creative ideas , but failed to execute them to the fullest potential. Some were good reads , but most were in desperate need of an editor.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”