Who benefits from free eBooks?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faisal-kurfi.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers: by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Who benefits from free eBooks?

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

Honestly, I have never published any ebook so I'm inclined to say the reader. If you enjoyed reading it, then you can buy the hard copy, but if not, then you have been saved.
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

Readers are benefit a lot. Specially me. Free staffs are sweet! Publishers are losing great profit, infact. Authors also lose higher value since eBooks are cheaper.
I see some influencer use free eBooks as a way to add up their email lists.
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jay_shon03 »

Considering the frenzy in reading eBooks, I think it benefits new and unpopular authors the more. For instance, it is herculean to get paperbacks of books written by new authors in third-world countries, but citizens of such countries who have smartphones can easily access the ebooks.
Priya Mehta11
Favorite Book: The MISOGI Method
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature, second edition
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-mehta11.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Priya Mehta11 »

Ebooks are great if you have the zeal for reading. Easy to use, manage and refer back when needed- it has so many advantages. Many people don't get into reading habits because they don't like storing hardcopies and stocking their shelves up, when they had finished reading the book. Only a few books are such that we cherish reading and re-read them, rest all are just existing there in the library among many other books.
I am amazed by the various opinions posted in this thread and this gave me insights about public domain books. I heard that they could be sold or annotated and sold by anybody but that's good only for classics. Because who even would want to buy your annotated version after paying when he can get that for free, exception exists that if just notes, summary or the annotations are required.
AllTooWell
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alltoowell.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by AllTooWell »

I think that readers and Amazon are the only ones getting a benefit. The authors can gain exposure, but people can also buy the book, never read it, don't leave a review or talk about it. Besides, I am not sure if the author has to pay a fee to have the book on Amazon and the time they invested writing is not paid with exposure.
Samuel Onowhakpor
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-onowhakpor.html
Latest Review: Seeker: A Sea Odyssey by Rita Pomade

Post by Samuel Onowhakpor »

The readers who fall into the category of not having enough money to purchase the hard copy. I don't necessarily know if dishing put free copies is a great way to market the book, but what I do know is that hard copy books are not in vogue as before.
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-shon-voyamba.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Jesse Shon Voyamba »

Prior to 2018, I usually read an average of 20 books every year. However, the number doubled when I started reading eBooks. As a reader, I can say that eBooks have benefitted readers more than authors.
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

Mainly the readers! The ability to read is valuable, and the more content that's available, the more people are able to experience that. To a lesser extent, the authors may benefit if readers remember their name/work and spread it by word of mouth. However, I don't believe this is as prevalent as the basic idea that readers benefit from free content.
dwaynecharles13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dwaynecharles13 »

The person getting the book obviously benefits lol but the person giving the book away is also Highly benefiting bcuz he has an alterior notice😜 Like getting his site noticed..
You could say I'm an independent book shop. I'm jus getting started though and I don't know how to get people to come to my site let alone buy books lol I'm into self help and personal growth, I teach about the law of attraction and prosperity.... I just wanna elevate your mind! I'm giving away a free sample ebook if you just go to my site: https://dwaynecharles.business.blog/

Go to my biolink page and click Freebee. It's a blog also, so feel free to give me some constructive criticism....
Selmuq Voruma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selmuq-voruma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Selmuq Voruma »

As someone who has read more than 30 eBooks within the space of 6 months, I can boldly say that eBooks benefit the readers more than the authors.
Tamara Bengesai
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

Ebooks benefit all involved thus Author, reader, amazon, kindle, etc
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

It depends how it is done. I got hooked on a 4 part series where only the first book was free on Amazon. If the author is confident in their book and have other books available then it can drive up additional sales.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

Fran wrote: 19 Jun 2012, 10:17 I am be very sceptical of free ebooks (excluding public domain books of course) ...... it does strike me that if the author doesn't think his/her work is worth paying for then why on earth would they think I'd want to spend my valuable time reading it. IMO something free is generally not worth a whole lot .... but that's just me!
I thought the same thing! If the author is giving it away for free, is it even worth reading? Now I do understand giving a number of copies for free as a way to gain exposure, and with Kindle Unlimited, I'm pretty sure the authors get a kickback from the monthly membership cost depending on the popularity of their book being downloaded. I could be wrong. 
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

Jack King wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 14:32 It depends how it is done. I got hooked on a 4 part series where only the first book was free on Amazon. If the author is confident in their book and have other books available then it can drive up additional sales.
Now this does make perfect sense. It's a risk for the author, but I can see how that can pay off with a series.
syevale111
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by syevale111 »

Thanks for your inforamtion.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”