Hard copy books V digital

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Vivid_rainbow
Bookshelf Size: 0

Hard copy books V digital

Post by Vivid_rainbow »

Hi, i'm new to the forum. Just thought i'd make my first post about hard copy(i.e. real books) Versus the electronic types, notable those offered in either PDF or Kindle format. I honestly prefer the real thing, the look and touch of holding any book in your hand outweighs its electronic emotioneless counterpart. However over the last year or so I have started seeing the benefits of having a book in Kindle. For example i've just recently become dual Cisco certified and currently working towards my CCNP. The study books were about 800 pages long and big heavy hard back types. Having this on Kindle has really helped me save space and also I've found it actually easier to read. Probably because having such a lare book can be very cumbersome. Another benefit is it is kinder to resources in the sense that no paper is being used. No paper means less manufacturing costs which should result in a cheaper end product.
However I still believe that if you're reading a novel then the best format is in its original hard copy print or alternatively as an audio book. Study books in my opinion are better served in electronic format.

ANyone have any opinions on this topic, I look forward to hearing them

Stef
Santanico

Post by Santanico »

I can see the advantage of Ebooks (space saving, more convenient for travel, and yes - save the trees!) but there's something about real books that makes me weak at the knees. For me, I find great pleasure at looking at my 4 fully stocked bookshelves and knowing I'll need another one soon because I'm running out of room.

Rupert Giles (Buffy) said it best:

"Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower, or a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell musty and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer is - it, uh, it has no texture, no context. It's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then the getting of knowledge should be, uh, tangible, it should be, um, smelly."
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Attributed to Groucho Marx
Vivid_rainbow

Post by Vivid_rainbow »

That is a wonderful quote and thank you for making us aware of it. I totally agree with you but I just hope future generations see it that way. I hope we're not heading towards disaster by embracing technology too much. Ironic coming from me but I think too much of a seemingly good thing always ends in disaster.
MaxDaniel

Post by MaxDaniel »

Hard copy is better then digital. That is my point of view. I feel comfortable while reading hard copy.
bookgator
Favorite Author: JK Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter series

Post by bookgator »

Vivid_rainbow wrote:Hi, i'm new to the forum. Just thought i'd make my first post about hard copy(i.e. real books) Versus the electronic types, notable those offered in either PDF or Kindle format. I honestly prefer the real thing, the look and touch of holding any book in your hand outweighs its electronic emotioneless counterpart. However over the last year or so I have started seeing the benefits of having a book in Kindle. For example i've just recently become dual Cisco certified and currently working towards my CCNP. The study books were about 800 pages long and big heavy hard back types. Having this on Kindle has really helped me save space and also I've found it actually easier to read. Probably because having such a lare book can be very cumbersome. Another benefit is it is kinder to resources in the sense that no paper is being used. No paper means less manufacturing costs which should result in a cheaper end product.
However I still believe that if you're reading a novel then the best format is in its original hard copy print or alternatively as an audio book. Study books in my opinion are better served in electronic format.

ANyone have any opinions on this topic, I look forward to hearing them

Stef
I still think that it depends in the user who are using it. I prefer some best seller books to be purchased in print format and those that are in PDF or in eFormat. I'd like to believe that that the future of books are in the e form as resources are starting to dwindle and we want to become less and less dependent to wood resources to lessen our carbon footprint. It depends on the user really but I always buy the electronic version because I travel a lot and I cannot afford to bring stacks of books in my travel. I use my tablet to the books I purchase online and enjoy the convenience it gives me.
bookfalcons

Post by bookfalcons »

since almost all books can we find on the web in kindle or pdf format. So every body moving toward digital books.
MarryAnn

Post by MarryAnn »

I realy prefer softcopy...way better imo
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

I don't know what it is.. I just can't focus whilst reading on digital.
RaeGeorge
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raegeorge.html

Post by RaeGeorge »

As practical as ereaders are, I really hope actual books don't become a thing of the past. I dont want to read bedtime stories to my children and grandchildren from an ereader.
For me, nothings better than seeing an overflowing bookcase, wandering around bookshops etc.
I like to feel the paper and the pages between my fingers and to actually see how much of the book ive left to read.
And I love to be able to simply give the book to someone else who I think would enjoy it.
psyche
Currently Reading: Void Contract
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psyche.html
Latest Review: "NovoPulp Anthology - Volume 2" by Niamh Brown, B. Morris Allen, M. J. Kobernus, David Grigg, Kimberly Unger, Daniela Huguet, Russ Bick

Post by psyche »

I like book, both formats have advantages and disadvantages.
Latest Review: "NovoPulp Anthology - Volume 2" by Niamh Brown, B. Morris Allen, M. J. Kobernus, David Grigg, Kimberly Unger, Daniela Huguet, Russ Bick
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

Another benifit of my Kindle Touch vs a hard copy book is when the book is over 300 pgs long, my Kindle is so much lighter and easier to hold.
Artemisia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artemisia.html

Post by Artemisia »

Yes, I must say that while I am environmentally concious, I would hate if books became a thing of the past.
“If you don't turn your life into a story, you just become a part of someone else's story.”
― Terry Pratchett
AndreaJ

Post by AndreaJ »

I like the Kindle vs. the actual book. I have poor eye sight and refuse to wear glasses so the light up screen on my Kindle helps with that. Although, my eye sight will ruin more over time with this, at the moment I just care about the book. It's easier for me to read at night while my husband's sleeping since this is the only time I have to read anymore it's much better for me. Also, much easier to turn pages as lazy as that sounds!
authorkcfinn
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authorkcfinn.html

Post by authorkcfinn »

I tend to only buy a hard copy if I intend to read the book more than once because I feel it's a shame to have books sitting on the shelf that are just going to be ignored for evermore. So I often read digitally first and then I might buy the book or series to keep if I've really enjoyed it.
nowanico2403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nowanico2403.html

Post by nowanico2403 »

i love when you are at a cliffhanger and have to flip the page as fast as you can to find out whats next

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”