is it worth getting an e-reader (like kindle) or just get ebooks on the app/play store?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
RaidenX
Bookshelf Size: 0

is it worth getting an e-reader (like kindle) or just get ebooks on the app/play store?

Post by RaidenX »

ive been wondering about this for some time now, but do you guys think its worth getting an e-reader like a kindle? im asking cuz while i could also buy digital books over things like amazon or the appstore, id kinda rather want to have like a dedicated device for reading? cause having it on the phone sounds kinda tedious to me (since thats also where i have all my work stuff) and ive heared that reading on/using a kindle is really nice and that their batteries last longer than phones? so if any of you have experiences with e-readers like kindle, would you recommend them greatly or you think that its not much better than reading on your smartphone. thanks :)
(ps: yes so far ive only been reading printed books and manga or webnovels over my pc, but i really want to get into ebooks)
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I personally rotate through using my phone, an ipad, an extremely old kindle, and a newer paper white kindle. I prefer either using the ipad, or my very old non back lit kindle. The ipad is super easy on my eyes because the words are just so crisp and clear, and a nice screen size, but it just becomes quite heavy after a while. My newer kindle is nice because it is back lit, but it drains the battery more quickly, and the buttons are also in a dumb spot in my mind, at the very bottom of the device so I'm constantly hitting the button on accident. Which also kills the battery faster with all the constant on/off. I also find it to be quite blurry/fuzzy. It's just not as easy on the eye for me.

I would have no issues giving up my newer kindle, but definitely would not give up my ipad or my older kindle as reading devices.

It did take me quite some time to get into the e-book era, however. The best book in my mind has always been, and will always be, a physical copy.
Maria Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maria Fernandez »

Personally, I use a Kindle Fire for all my digital books. I also use the Kindle Fire as my main source to stream Disney plus, Netflix, Hulu..etc. So it kind of does double duty for me which is convenient because I live in a very small apartment, so I don't have a lot of room to really have a lot of devices. Plus my phone is I feel too small for me to be able to read comfortably. The only downside to having the Kindle Fire is that none of the Google apps work on it because it's a whole different system. But if you have an Amazon account you should be fine. It is very convenient, I carry my books wherever I go and I can always get the definition of any word that I don't understand in a book automatically. I hope that helps with you making your decision.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

I have been using a Kindle for a while now and I find it easy to read there. I can look up the meaning of any word, highlight and add notes. My eyes get strained when I read on my phone but not on Kindle.
estanlypido12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estanlypido12.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by estanlypido12 »

Surely an e-reader will make your reading excursion much more enjoyable and thrilling. You should get one as this is not really costly. However, if your budget says no, there’s nothing wrong with resorting to the app you are referring to.
Preye I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

Depends on the person you are. For example I just use my laptop and download epub and pdf apps to help make the reading easier. But my mom has a kindle because it is more like an actually book than using a phone. But then again an iPad would work great. Like I said it depends on who you are and what you like best. There is no universal answer.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

I use ebook reader apps like Lightreader and I enjoy reading from it.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

Right now I am using the Kindle app, and it's good. But one day I would like to try Kindle E-reader.
kasedy Fairbairn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasedy-fairbairn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by kasedy Fairbairn »

I prefer kindle unlimited compared to apps. Most apps you have to buy the chapters, and kindle unlimited is cheaper.
Faatimah Noormahomed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faatimah-noormahomed.html
Latest Review: Karrana by Anne Skyvington
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Faatimah Noormahomed »

I would highly recommend getting an e-reader! It's so convenient to have all your books in one place, and also there's no distractions with an e-reader. You won't be getting notifications on your phone while trying to read! It's also a lot more comfortable to look at for long periods of time. Would highly recommend getting one! I have the Kindle Paperwhite 11th generation and love it!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”