Listening to Audio books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Re: Listening to Audio books

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Reading audio books can be fun because you can get through with your eyes closed, if you wish. However, I am a fast reader and I, sometimes, find myself reading ahead of an audio, I can't keep pace. I love audio books anyway.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Audio books are not that great because you don't keep many things from what has been read. You keep more things in memory if you read than if you listen,
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I also think that audio books are not great if you are reviewing books, as it is harder to locate mistakes if you are listening to a book.
sunmuth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunmuth.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by sunmuth »

I typically only listen to audiobooks for fiction but I agree with what other people have been saying, I will generally remember less of the story. When I listen to audiobooks, I am also doing other things like washing dishes or driving so I am not putting my full attention into the story, so I remember less. I do think they are fun, especially if the narrator is good!
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I hate the idea of listening to books to be honest, it feels weird just like watching a movie without pictures.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

I have tried it only once before and for me, it's not the same satisfaction as when I read a bok.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I like audiobooks - only fiction though - and I think they're a great way of making reading and literature more accessible to people with visual impairments or who don't have much time or inclination to read. I also love podcasts, always have them on while I do stuff like showering/cleaning/running errands/commuting.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
SirLaddie
Favorite Author: Brian O'Hare
Favorite Book: Beneath the Dark Ice
Currently Reading: The Everything Creative Writing
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirladdie.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 46107

Post by SirLaddie »

I have tried several audiobooks and really don't care for them. I would start listening to them and would soon find that I wasn't listening anymore. My mother isn't able to read any longer because of macular degeneration and I have been wondering if audiobooks would be a good thing for her. She loves to read but isn't able to any longer.
BarryEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BarryEM »

I've lived for the past 15 years in a retirement home and over that time a number of our reading tenants have had to stop reading. I've helped them get started with audiobooks. Most have been enjoying them. A few don't care for them but there have also been a few who can still read but have switched to audiobooks.

The solution to the problem of your mind wandering away from the story is to keep your hands busy doing some trivial task. When I listen to an audiobook I'll usually play solitaire or some such. Often I go for a walk. My mind doesn't wander if I do something while listening.

Barry
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I listen to audiobooks only when I'm going back to a book that I've already read -- it's useful because it allows you to multitask, but listening to a book for the first time confuses me, as I can't refer backwards without going back and losing my place in the audio.
beatricemanuel
Currently Reading: L'Étranger
Bookshelf Size: 586
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatricemanuel.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by beatricemanuel »

I've always wanted to try listening to an audiobook but have refrained from it because I don't know quite what to expect or how I'll feel after the experience. Trying an audio book is on my reading challenge for this year I will have to do a bit more research and see if there are particularly famous or good audio books out there to start with.

I don't want the first book to be a bad experience and color my opinion of audio books totally.
BarryEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BarryEM »

It's hard to suggest an audiobook without knowing your taste so here's a link to the list of Audie award winners, given each year by the Audio Publishers Association:
https://www.audiopub.org/winners

It might be easier to check the Wikipedia page about the Audie awards since if you scroll down on that page you get a list that's a bit easier to read.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Award

I will give mention a couple that I think are exceptional:
"The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd narrated magically by Jenna Lamia.
"Middlesex" by Jeffery Eugenides narrated by Kristopher Tabori. This is an amazing narration.
"Monsignor Quixote" by Graham Greene narrated by Cyril Cusak

The last one is no longer on Audible.com but it's available on CD from Amazon.

Barry
JT1989
Currently Reading: The Scent of Distant Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by JT1989 »

Definitely prefer reading the book to actually listening to it, but it has its perks. It’s a lot like a podcast in the way you can do other things while listening. It’s nice to have something to listen to during chores and on the road, but doesn’t quite feel as satisfying.
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

I always respect audio books because of the narrator's voice. I always enjoy listening to people reading the book while having some bit of fun with their voices. Sure, they're limited with how they work around with their acting, but what they have can bring a lot of enjoyment.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I like listening to audio books when I don't have time or when I'm drawing. It doesn't have the same satisfaction though.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”