Digital Textbooks

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Digital Textbooks

Post by Ak1412 » 07 Feb 2019, 15:00

I just started a new semester and bought a few digital texts to save money and to prevent me from carrying as much. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Chikari
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari » 10 Feb 2019, 20:16

I actually bought the digital copies of the textbooks for my next class. They were way cheaper too! I find using digital textbooks to work just fine and does make it easier to get around. I usually do homework at work before I have to clock in so it's nice not having to carry as much. All of mine have been compatible with my Kindle, though, so that might make a difference.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: Red Rising
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Letora » 24 Feb 2019, 18:30

Digital is so much easier and cheaper. When I was in college the first time, I didn't know any better and all my books were hard copies. When I went back again, I looked into digital and it was better not having to lug all those books around on days with multiple classes.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

mamilla93
2019 Reading Goal: 400
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 » 24 Feb 2019, 22:46

I did the same thing. I realized I could save cost on the books and also, was easier to carry around the campus and also easier whenever I have to move.

jahagen
2019 Reading Goal: 55
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: Limbo.
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Post by jahagen » 06 Mar 2019, 11:41

I think getting the digital version of textbooks is far wiser, especially when they're cheaper and more convenient. If you don't have to, why would you spend more money just to have the physical copy? The digital can do just as much and has the same information, and school is already expensive as is.

Ak1412

Post by Ak1412 » 17 Mar 2019, 12:02

Chikari wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 20:16
I actually bought the digital copies of the textbooks for my next class. They were way cheaper too! I find using digital textbooks to work just fine and does make it easier to get around. I usually do homework at work before I have to clock in so it's nice not having to carry as much. All of mine have been compatible with my Kindle, though, so that might make a difference.
It has worked well for me so far this semester. I'm glad to see it's working out for other people too.

Ak1412

Post by Ak1412 » 17 Mar 2019, 12:06

Letora wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 18:30
Digital is so much easier and cheaper. When I was in college the first time, I didn't know any better and all my books were hard copies. When I went back again, I looked into digital and it was better not having to lug all those books around on days with multiple classes.
It's definitely a pain to lug books around. I'm in the same building all day and don't go back to my dorm, so my ebooks have been a life saver!

finebunchofnothing
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Currently Reading: The Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finebunchofnothing.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by finebunchofnothing » 22 Mar 2019, 15:10

This semester two out of my five textbooks are digital, and that is very convenient because my bag is so much lighter now! The only thing I do not like about the books on my tablet is the fact that I cannot highlight the main points or add some extra details that would help me understand the material better. However, I rewrite the main points to a notebook anyway, so not being able to highlight them in the book is not a big issue.
And our dreams will break the boundaries of our fear

IamShing
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing » 25 Mar 2019, 12:18

If your academy allows it..it is okay and especially if it works best for you.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'

ChaosLibrarian
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ChaosLibrarian » 30 Mar 2019, 19:36

When I went to grad school I used a mix of print and digital textbooks. I preferred the print textbooks because I feel like I can focus better and without distractions or notifications, but the find feature in the digital textbooks was amazing and saved me so much time from not having to flip back and forth when I was looking for a particular topic or subject that wasn’t all in one chapter together. There also aren’t used copies available for digital textbooks so sometimes a used print textbook was cheaper than a digital copy, but sometimes the reverse was true. There are pros and cons to both. I’m glad both were available for many of my classes so I could make a decision based on the subject being covered as well as the price.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”