"You must work on yourself first if you're to apply a recipe or prescription..."

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

"You must work on yourself first if you're to apply a recipe or prescription..."

Post by Scott »

I really like the following quote which is from the 89% mark in my Kindle copy of The Maestro Monologue by Rob White.

Rob White wrote:We're often told that if we are to achieve our ambitions, we must find the right "how-to book," with the right recipe for success, or the right seminar with the right prescription for winning. Yet for so many, no matter how diligently they follow the recipe or prescription, be it for meaningful relationships, better health, more wealth, or higher spiritual fulfillment--it just doesn't seem to work. What happened?

What they didn't understand was that there is no power in a recipe or prescription; the power is in them. Or more aptly stated: "You are that power." Hence, you must work on yourself first if you're to apply a recipe or prescription and have it work effectively. No formula can do for you what you must do for yourself.
Do you agree with these words from Rob White?

I agree wholeheartedly.

One area that I think epitomizes it is in dieting and weight loss. Many people will research, share, or come up with it all sorts of complex diets. Sometimes it seems like everyday there is new fad diet. Many people will say they have tried many diets that didn't work. But the simply reality is that almost any of the countless fad diets all work... if one sticks to it. Generally speaking, all weight loss diets work if you stick to it.

I believe the trick to success on such things--and by extension on most things--is not in finding the right recipe, prescription, or diet plan, but in doing the work needed to more fully manifest self-discipline (a.k.a. spiritual freedom). Or as Rob White so wisely puts it, "No formula can do for you what you must do for yourself."

What do you think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
clumsy smurf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clumsy-smurf.html
Latest Review: A Walk in the Twilight by John J Bosco Jr.

Post by clumsy smurf »

I also think there is some truth in this quote because I feel that if you have not prepared yourself mentally and have also not worked on yourself and prepared for change then there is no way you can do this.
Prosper2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prosper2000.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Prosper2000 »

I do agree exactly with this quote. Personal discipline is definitely more important than what one will learn in any self-help book. The question isn't if you know what you need to do, the right question is if you are ready to do whatever is required of you.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

I have to say I totally agree. The diet isn’t going to magically make you lose weight, if you don’t stick to it. Now that I think about it, nothing will work in your life, if you are not determined to see it through.
Scottie Rames
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scottie-rames.html
Latest Review: 10 Leading Tools by KG Butler

Post by Scottie Rames »

I definitely agree with the author on this one. Hard work and discipline are the only things that can get you through it. You real what you sow. So you definitely must be ready to put the work in.
Yaninaninana
Currently Reading: A touch of Malice
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaninaninana.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Yaninaninana »

I completely agree with it. A cake and a muffin are both pastries, but they have their own recipe to follow. Just like how we are all humans, we are different in terms of our personalities and experiences in life. Whether you follow a certain steps, if you just follow it mindlessly without compassion, it is just nothing. The power is within us, the power to start, to change, to stay, to continue, to stop, to rest, and many more. We must know ourselves first to know what fits to us, what is lacking, what needs more attention, and others. We should look at ourselves first before comparing or looking at other people.
The Uklighter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-uklighter.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by The Uklighter »

I agree with this 100 percent. There is no short cut to anything in life, especially success in whatever field. Hard work and discipline plays a large role in this kind of thing
Jatto Onimisi
Currently Reading: Shitolian
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jatto-onimisi.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Jatto Onimisi »

I wholeheartedly agree. Just as original ideas are actuated Into reality by our actions, so is any idea we are fed. You must bring it to life by your actions.
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Olomofe »

I also agree totally with this statement from Rob white. In many instances of life, success is usually gotten by those who happen to do for themselves what they must do for themselves. For example, in school, no matter how much books (recipe) you have at your disposal, you must develop discipline to diligently go through them and really digest the content
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

This is the hard truth! It is the fault of each one of us that we make excuses when we should work hard and be dedicated. Changes in personality change the world around us or simply bring us different events that help us adjust.
Sarah Myers 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-myers-1.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Sarah Myers 1 »

I agree with what you posted! A lot of people expect to have a book or blog tell them exactly how to "fix" their problems and live their life. But I think people and things are placed in your life at just the right time and you're able to apply what they give you to what you're currently going through.
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

I totally agree with that statement. Most of these books contain recipes for success and all but most importantly forget that we are all different, our paths are all different, our problems as well. So it is up to us to choose what works for us. It is fine to take advice or tips from sources but it should resonate with us.
Corrie-Lynn Penny
Currently Reading: Thunderhead
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corrie-lynn-penny.html
Latest Review: Consciousness Unbundled by Jack Veffer

Post by Corrie-Lynn Penny »

I agree. No self-health book will help without the right mindset or dedication and discipline.
Julia_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-review.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Julia_Review »

I agree. It is not always the lack of knowledge that puts us back but the lack of initiative. You just have to start doing.
The Nabongos Duchess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-nabongos-duchess.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by The Nabongos Duchess »

I think this is absolutely true.No one can unleash what is on our inside unless we agree to do it for ourselves.We have to be present for ourselves and decide what is better.

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”