Can a man be free if he is not yet a master of himself?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
Divine Treasure
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divine-treasure_3577866.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Can a man be free if he is not yet a master of himself?

Post by Divine Treasure »

If one cannot free if he can't control the activities in his life, so man cannot be free if he's not a master of his life.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

I feel like people are beginning to learn that it is not worth risking your mental stability to have financial security. Sadly lost work environments are toxic and so not consider the fact that their workers have lives of their own. I don’t think a person can be free if they are not a master of their own life. Lnowing that someone else makes important decisions that affect your life majorly and you have no control over that can make a man mad
Confidence_derah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Confidence_derah »

I see your point, but some people actually prefer working and exert control on their working hours and conditions. However, for someone to be truly free, he/she should be a Maestro.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

I think control over oneself is a prerequisite to being truly free. The quote is therefore true.
Salma Sallam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-sallam.html
Latest Review: Bombora by Paul Drewitt

Post by Salma Sallam »

The answers to those questions definitely vary between each individual. Someone else might want to be in full control of their financial situation without a medium- like a company or their boss. However, others might like the freedom and flexibility of work that freelancing work gives them. Or perhaps someone just needs a quick buck and they don't have the experience needed from the jobs around them. But either way, I don't think there is such thing as complete free will, our decisions will always be influenced by both our nature and nurture. So if everyone is a product of their experiences, are they ever truly free?
The Olynks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-olynks.html

Post by The Olynks »

No, it's not possible. You can only be a master of yourself when you have full control of your life.
Julia_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-review.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Julia_Review »

Being an employee does not always equal good financial security. There are advantages and disadvantages on both sides.
Shakon90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shakon90.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shakon90 »

I do agree that this line of work comes with incredible risks, but the fact that a lot of people are choosing this path still, likely says more about business leaders than the employees involved.
The Nabongos Duchess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-nabongos-duchess.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by The Nabongos Duchess »

For me it's a No.One has to be the driver of themselves before becoming whom they want to be and there is no two way about it.
Joanne Ike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanne-ike.html

Post by Joanne Ike »

I think many people nowadays are unwilling to accept traditional work conditions. I myself find it difficult to work 9-5 every day, have several meetings a day, reporting to several bosses. But I don't necessarily want to be my own boss. I agree that it's harder to do your own thing and I don't want that kind of stress. I think most people are just looking for work conditions that suit them. For me, that would be remote workspaces, flexible hours, and opportunities to share ideas among other things. I think it's when they don't find conditions that suit them, that they feel forced to create their own. Of course, this relates to just some cases.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Post by Hager Salem »

The example you gave here isn't something to build on. being your own maestro doesn't necessarily mean you should be your own boss, that's not for everyone. it means you should know what type of person you are and what suits you better and go for it.
Versaty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-versaty.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Versaty »

I belive the text that we are not masters of our own if we have not yet mastered ourselves. The meaning I see to this is contrary to your interpretation. To be a master of yourself does not necessarily mean to work under no one. But it does mean you understand yourself by understanding the underlying nature that makes you behave the way you will behave in crucial moments.
UcheNduka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchenduka.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by UcheNduka »

One of the benefits of being an entrepreneur, apart from making profits is independence, which equates to freedom.
Yes, it involves risks, which you already enumerated. But I think the gains outweigh the risks.
And remember, if there were no entrepreneurs, you'll hardly find any boss to work for.
But I'll advise people to tread with caution when venturing into entrepreneurship. Ensure you have backup plans just in case.
Meanwhile, enjoy your newfound freedom.
Crabby69
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crabby69.html

Post by Crabby69 »

Yes a can't be free or else he becomes master of himself. However, becoming a master of oneself is not an easy task and a lot of mistakes and corrections are necessary
Crabby69
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crabby69.html

Post by Crabby69 »

Yes a man can't be free or else he becomes master of himself. However, becoming a master of oneself is not an easy task and a lot of mistakes and corrections are necessary.

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”