Is Brandy a Good Example of a Strong Female Protagonist Done Right?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Book of the month, "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.
Robert Obikanyi
Currently Reading: Swiss Family Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izuchukwu-obi.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Is Brandy a Good Example of a Strong Female Protagonist Done Right?

Post by Robert Obikanyi »

I think Brandy is a strong character in this story for many reasons, none of which is because she is a female. For instance, some of the reasons I admired her character was her steadfastness in the face of crippling challenges...keeping her head strong as she diligently faced her enemies, and not letting the unknowns in her personal life affect her goals.

I think other writers should emulate the author of this novel in written strong female leads.
Bernard Udofia
Favorite Author: Biz Stone
Currently Reading: Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernard-udofia.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright
fav_author_id: 72309

Post by Bernard Udofia »

I think Brandy's character was just right. She was strong, determined, and unyielding in the right measures. But my biggest appreciation about her character actually lies in something the author DID NOT do. There's a tendency sometimes for author's to overcompensate for the "femaleness" of a lead character. I've read several books where the female lead/heroine was written to such perfection that it became unrealistic, nauseating even. Brandy's character had no such problem. She had her flaws but they didn't deter her—a true example of a kind of person to look up to. But that's just me.
Joshua Jacobsen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua-jacobsen.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B08YR5WN6D

Post by Joshua Jacobsen »

I thought the author was overly desperate to portray the characters as virtuous, attractive, skilled, and overall flawless and worthy of admiration. Not just Brandy, but everyone who was not a villain is basically the best in every way. After the first 1/3rd of the book, the characters seem to suddenly not be perfect at everything and develop some distinct personality and opportunities to grow (imperfections). The rest of the book is a lot better than the beginning. I don't think it's narrated very consistently.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

In most stories, there is a male protagonist who, after an event, usually comes to the fore and shows himself to be very brave, daring, and fearless (in some cases). What I liked about this story is that the female protagonist is found, not as a man, but as a real woman ready to fight, without appearance on men's charts, but entirely feminine. And yet it is a wonderful image that makes you read on, showing the true nature of a strong woman and a well-built character.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

Yes, Brandy is a good example of that because she was determined and focused. This can serve as a guide or blueprint to the female folks. So I totally agree with that.
Ibunyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibunyi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ibunyi »

In the contemporary society, I believe women have equal chances of excelling in life just like men. Brandy is such a stronger, and I believe she affirms that women have equal capabilities to men.
Abby Smith 5
Currently Reading: Run Rose Run
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abby-smith-5.html
Latest Review: Loving Preston by Maria Pryor Herndon

Post by Abby Smith 5 »

Yes I believe that Brandy is a good example, especially at the end. Her life provided her with the chance to learn the importance of love and family and how to channel your emotions in a way that they can be beneficial. She was strong and determined and she fought to learn to not let her past and the life she was born into define who she was at her core and who she wanted to be.
Favour Yahaya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-yahaya.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Favour Yahaya »

Brandy was determined and focus. Not letting her past life determine how she would be, yes I think she is a good example.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

Yes, I think that brandy was a perfect example of a strong female protagonist done right. She didn't completely shut off her emotions, but she never let them stop her from doing what needed to be done.
Luv Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luv-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Ava Flips by Ava Nebel

Post by Luv Emmanuel »

This story gave me a breath of fresh air. I am used to seeing mostly strong determined characters male characters. Most times, the female characters are portrayed as virtuous, and weak (even though they say that that weakness is their strength).

In this case, it was different. I am glad that the author portrayed Brandy as a strong woman who did not stop pushing. I think that the author did well in this book by showing us this side of the character
Latest Review: Ava Flips by Ava Nebel
Judyread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judyread.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Judyread »

Yeah she portrayed everything a strong female character should portray. She had a good charisma, she was patient, she was strong and beautiful too.
mercasa
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odek.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by mercasa »

I loved Brandys character. She is portrayed as someone who is strong and unyielding when facing her enemies. She isn't portrayed as a girl who needs saving but it's also not overdone in a way that makes her look perfect.
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

Yeah, I must agree that Brandy really is a good example of a protagonist. The author literally deviated from the norm in that regard, and I really appreciated it. Brandy is strong willed, determined, resilient and a host of other things, and I really did learn a lot from her.
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

Brandy is a good female protagonist in the novel. Standing strong in the face of challenges is deserving of a protagonist. Her strength boldness and resilience are commendable.
NdegwaSalome
Currently Reading: Four Pebbles on a Bench
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndegwasalome.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by NdegwaSalome »

It was a good break from all other male protagonists, feminine energy was very much welcomed, especially with her resilience.

Return to “Discuss "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson”