Too Predictable? Or perfect foreshadowing? (Contains spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Book of the month, "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Too Predictable? Or perfect foreshadowing? (Contains spoilers)

Post by Erin Dydek »

As I read the book, I started to pick up on many of the clues that indicated that Captain Joshua was the father of Devonte. For me, the biggest tip-off was the color of their eyes and when the fish merchant wondered where he had seen the kindness of the gray eyes before. At first, I thought that the author had made this connection too obvious. Then I started to wonder if this was simply a well-developed lead up to the big reveal. What do you think? Was the father-daughter relationship too predictable? Or was the reveal a result of perfect foreshadowing?
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I was very surprised by this revelation. I guess all of the clues went right over my head! I can see them now in hindsight, though.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

@Amy Luman It's okay, Amy! I didn't guess the truth about Skinner being Brandy's real father...and that was after I kept thinking he seemed so fatherly to her. I even remember thinking that it would have been nice if he was her father instead of Eric so she would have at least one good parent.
Stephanie Kanu
Currently Reading: A dream for peace
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladywhyte3.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Stephanie Kanu »

I don't think it was too predictable. Not for me at least. I didn't take note of these clues you cited so the revelation was startling .
Adore Alaike
Currently Reading: The Da Vinci Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adore-alaike.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Adore Alaike »

I must say certain parts and clues in the book were predictable and easy to figure out. For example, Captain Joshua being Devonte's father. The way the author described them both clearly showed that they had the same facial features such as their eye colour.
But still a great book and the end of the day.
Lily_flower_the_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-flower-the-reader.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Lily_flower_the_reader »

I really didn't notice anything predictable, i just enjoyed the book and definitely saw one or two shocking events.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

Maybe if I had read the book twice, I would have been able to notice hints of their relationship. I didn’t notice a thing from my first time reading the book. Perfect foreshadowing I’d say.
Emmanuel Anyalewechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pharmemma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Emmanuel Anyalewechi »

At some point, the book is predictable. Although this didn't impair my justification that the book is a captivating one.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I don’t think the plots were predictable. Maybe I just didn't notice certain indication, like their eye colours being same.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

There must have been hints that seemed like a tip off. I don't think them obvious enough to be spoilers.
Anne Lucas
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anne-lucas.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Anne Lucas »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 12:30 As I read the book, I started to pick up on many of the clues that indicated that Captain Joshua was the father of Devonte. For me, the biggest tip-off was the color of their eyes and when the fish merchant wondered where he had seen the kindness of the gray eyes before. At first, I thought that the author had made this connection too obvious. Then I started to wonder if this was simply a well-developed lead-up to the big reveal. What do you think? Was the father-daughter relationship too predictable? Or was the reveal a result of perfect foreshadowing?
Nothing actually was too predictable for me in this book. But, I have to admit I kept brainstorming the clues throughout. And the only thing I will say about the father-daughter relationship is that I loved the way this turned out to be.
:tiphat:
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

The book was not too predictable as I was able to figure out hints from the author as he kept on writing. I won't say they were spoilers though.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

Not, it wasn't predictable to me. The reveal definitely came as a surprise and we should commend the author for this, managing to hide details in front of eyes.
Bookfest101
Currently Reading: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfest101.html
Latest Review: The Ping-Pong Champion of Chinatown by James Hanna

Post by Bookfest101 »

I think most authors and writers try to leave hints and clues to their audience and readers as to what they intend to achieve without giving much away. And this was not that different. Had you not mentioned it, I honestly wouldn't have noticed these connections infact.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

To me, it was a series of breadcrumbs to build anticipation and intrigue. The relations were not as obvious and easy to note but they instead led to wonder and wanting to read more to confirm any suspicions. It was a perfect balance.

Return to “Discuss "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson”