Overall rating and opinion of "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Book of the month, "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the April 2022 Book of the month, Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? What did you think of the writing style? What genres are woven into the text? What did you think of the cover? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Rashi Agrawal
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashi-agrawal.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rashi Agrawal »

Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson is a brilliantly written historical novel about pirates, sea captains, corruption, slavery/abolitionism and redemption.This story is wonderfully written. I think Brandy is a strong character in this story for many reasons - for having no fear in the face of her enemies, keeping her head strong as she diligently faced her enemies, and not letting her unknowns in her personal life effect the objective that she was able to reach. I loved the all around setting in this book. The author has done a wonderful job at grabbing and keeping my interest. I would most definitely recommend it to anyone who loves a good adventure book and anyone who enjoys being pulled into the story. However, some parts of the book could have been better, like the relation between Brandy and her mother. I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess is a historical fiction novel that chronicles a teenage pirate's life. Brady must re-write her life after the death of her parents. The author is a fantastic writer who knows how to build an interesting plotline. His attention to detail is incredible. It's a joy to read his superb use of language. I'd give it three out of four stars. Good job!
Chesko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chesko.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chesko »

I absolutely loved this book. It was a beautiful story of love and adventure with perfectly developed characters. I loved the mix of culture in the adventure and piracy stories. I give it a perfect rating of four out of four stars. The author's creativity was definitely top-notch and there was nothing to dislike in the book.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

I gave this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the creativity, the action scenes, the shocking beginning, the strong female lead, and the loving support Brandy received from those close to her. I also enjoyed the storyline, of course. What I didn't like was how some parts were really unrealistic, even though it is a fictional book. The writing style is good. The book is well written. I believe it has the following genres; historical fiction, romance, bildungsroman, adventure, and action. I like the cover. It fits the story very well. Yes, I would recommend this book to other people. I enjoyed reading it, and I think other people will also enjoy reading it. The characters are easily likable, and even the bad guys in the book are interesting. I even laughed at some of them. The book is easy to read and enjoy.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

This book is one book that I can read more than once. The book had a very engaging storyline. The author's style of writing was simple yet would have your attention. The book is an adventure thriller with a nice romance embedded in it. The book is very alluring. I would recommend this book to people who love reading romantic thrillers because the romance in this book was top notch. I rate this 4 out of 4 stars
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

This book is a fast-paced ride. The story follows Brandy, the daughter of pirates and John Edwards, a British Navy officer. They are the most unlikely pair but together they try to right the wrongs in the Caribbean and fight to keep free people from returning back to slavery. I loved the overall setting of this book. This story is a story of strength, faith, believe and unconditional love. Brandy is my favorite character, she’s strong and I love how fearless and defiant she is in the face of the enemy. I would definitely rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I was thoroughly entertained and intrigued throughout. Great book indeed!
Laww
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laww.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Laww »

This book integrates many themes of slavery, sea pirates and corruption among others. I liked the author's use of simple literary styles to enforce the plot. I would like note that the romantic scenes depicted in this book are in line with the storyline. I would give the book 4 out of 4 stars for the such an adventure I went through.
peace_m
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-m.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by peace_m »

This book about sea pirate is a story that depicts determination, survival and betrayal. I enjoyed the book because the author's writing style was straightforward. What I liked the most was that the book gives an account of suspenseful events, especially the Davonte's father revelation. However, I am not impressed with the development of Zhang Yang's character, which made me to rate it 3 out 4 stars.
Sable Pratt
Favorite Book: The Fox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sable-pratt.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Sable Pratt »

Overally, I think this book is a compellingly written historical fiction that effectively balances the line between reality and imagination. I love the characterization presented in this book, as the characters are fleshed out with facts, emotional truths, conflicts, strengths, and weaknesses. There's nothing I dislike about this book. The writing style stays true to the pirate characters, especially their broken English in conversations. This adds authenticity to the book. Romance and thriller are some of the genres the author artfully weaves into this book. The cover is graphic and aptly portrays the turbulent waves of both the sea and the pirates' lives. I would definitely recommend it to fans of pirate stories because of it's compelling narration.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really liked this book. My favorite part was when John stood up for Davonte. I know that back then that was more the exception than the rule. I really disliked that as a child Brandy had to learn about her mother and “father.” That’s something a child shouldn’t have to deal with. The historical aspect won’t appeal to everyone. But then I didn’t think I’d like it either.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

This book is a combination of historical fiction and romance. I gave this book 4 out 4 stars because of the professional editing and the well-written plot that was full of suspense. There was nothing I disliked about this book because it is full of action and fast paced. The cover complemented the title and let me know that it was a book about pirates. I enjoyed the pirates' dialect that the author used. I recommended this book to anyone who enjoys reading about pirates and those who romance novels.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

I think this book deserves a perfect rating of 4 stars. What I liked most was how Kat sacrificed herself for her daughter. The plot was action-packed and full of suspense.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

A pirate novel that stays true to itself. I love how the author depicts the setting perfectly. The book draws on love, duty, passion, and trust. What might seem like an unlikely pair in this novel is later the force that seems to right the wrongs on the sea. An interesting read indeed.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

There was nothing I disliked about this book. That was why I gave it a 4-star rating. The author's writing style was very descriptive, which made this book more enjoyable, as one could vividly picture how the story plays out. This book is a historical fiction, mixed with a bit of romance and crime and action thriller. The book cover was very befitting, as I could see the connection it had with the story. I would recommend this book to adults who enjoy historical fiction with a bit of action in it.

Return to “Discuss "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson”