Ask the author...

Use this forum to discuss the February 2022 Book of the month Totem: (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon
nwanasebuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanyi-nata1.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Re: Ask the author...

Post by nwanasebuka »

I was astounded to discover so much detail and mystery, and I thought it encouraging that an author could pack so much excitement into such a little package. What drew you to start the first book in this series, and what compelled you to keep going?
Trustedbest
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trustedbest.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Trustedbest »

What were the main challenges encountered while writing this book?
Trustedpls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trustedpls.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Trustedpls »

Was there a reason why this book was written? Or was it written because you have a passion for writing?
Charlie Sheldon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Charlie Sheldon »

Kanyi nata1 wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 05:46  I was astounded to discover so much detail and mystery, and I thought it encouraging that an author could pack so much excitement into such a little package. What drew you to start the first book in this series, and what compelled you to keep going?
This question is covered in my earlier responses to earlier questions
Charlie Sheldon

Trustedbest wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 01:53 What were the main challenges encountered while writing this book?
The main challenge was making a decision about whether this third book was going to be number 3 in a series of more books, ie books, 4,5,6 etc, or whether I should complete a short series instead. At first when I wrote Totem it was titled "Found" and was only the first of the two books in the current Totem - Kill Sites in Totem today. I knew that didn't really end the story. On the other hand, I was three books into a series - which btw did not start as a series at all - and while I had and have good readership my sense was that each later book in a series is restricted to those who have read the earlier books, ie, the audience goes from general to just the series readers. Plus, as an author writing a series you can feel trapped in the series, yoked to characters and a tale, caught, and I didn;t want to be in that position either. I finished "Found" really in 2018, I actually went up to Denali park in Alaska and spent a week in a cabin deep in the park, isolated in ten feet of snow, editing and rewriting, but when I returned I knew I needed to move on and somehow conclude this thing, so I started writing a fourth book, and almost as soon as I started I thought, to heck with this, I will write this tale and be done with the series, or done enough so my series readers can feel resolved whether or not I might go on for more tales. Then when I got the fourth tale done, the Unnamed Lake in the current Totem, I thought, to heck with it, I will combine both these in one biog book, end up with a trilogy, three books, and at least have the tales done. And this is what I did and I think it was the right decision. So this was the main challenge - how long is this series, how to end it, what is best?

The other big challenge with this book, and the first book, too, Strong Heart, was coming up with a writing style and level of detail celebrating the beautiful country without falling into sounding like a pamphlet for an environmental organization or tourist guide. I hope I have done that, but it is tricky. I was helped with this because when I started Strong Heart in 2013 in a writing class one of the other students said about one chapter, "This sounds like a Sierra Club pamphlet," and that stung, but he was right - a reader will turn off immediately if they think they are being preached to, or guided and managed.....
Charlie Sheldon

Trustedpls wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 06:06 Was there a reason why this book was written? Or was it written because you have a passion for writing?
Answered in earlier questions in this forum.
Stellah Chege
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellah-chege.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Stellah Chege »

Did you anticipate this kind of reception of your book? Did you get satisfied with the end result?
The Reviewer63
Favorite Book: The Fox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-reviewer63.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by The Reviewer63 »

Just one thing that I have always wondered, is how these writes can do such extensive research or what exact method you guys use to research about the factors of fictional books just wanted to ask this if you kindly answer it. I think it is easy to research for non-fictional writing but extremely difficult in other cases.
Charlie Sheldon

chege wangui wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 00:20 Did you anticipate this kind of reception of your book? Did you get satisfied with the end result?
It is very nice that readers enjoy the book and give nice reviews, but nicer still when readers wander into ideas and areas presented, especially when considering the character's challenges. It was as good as I could make it, meaning, it's at the limit of my expertise and I cannot make any improvements. The biggest issue these days is to be noticed, be seen, because there are so many books out there, so many writers, and then you hope for word of mouth to expand readership, but in the end each reader, individually, either falls into the story or not.
Charlie Sheldon

The Reviewer63 wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 04:20 Just one thing that I have always wondered, is how these writes can do such extensive research or what exact method you guys use to research about the factors of fictional books just wanted to ask this if you kindly answer it. I think it is easy to research for non-fictional writing but extremely difficult in other cases.
I don't think there is any difference in doing research for fiction or non fiction works. In both cases you find sources of information - books, articles, people, newspapers - and learn from them, take notes, and build knowledge. I think as a writer of fiction is greatly helps to feel aware of what you are writing about, be informed, to know things, and research gives that background, as well as, of course, personal experiences. In the case of Totem I had personal experience as a hiker and backpacker and also as a sailor in addition to many years working with local tribes on fishing issues, but I needed more knowledge about geology, history, human origins, genetics, ice age movements, weather, ancient animals, the Gulf of Alaska area, and here is where I did the research. Notebook after notebook.
Katib Mahmood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katib-mahmood.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Katib Mahmood »

the question that comes to my mind after reading your three books is what was the factor behind these books. how did you get an idea for writing the first book?
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

In the story, I enjoyed the totem history and also reading about Indian history. My question is what was the motivation to come up with the great piece and what were the challenges you faced?
Charlie Sheldon

Katib Mahmood wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 02:57 the question that comes to my mind after reading your three books is what was the factor behind these books. how did you get an idea for writing the first book?
This I answered earlier - the whole thing began when I heard about this seemingly universal belief among First Peoples of the Americas that they have always been here. I learned this over 30 years ago and the idea kept whispering to me....
Charlie Sheldon

UncleP wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 06:17 In the story, I enjoyed the totem history and also reading about Indian history. My question is what was the motivation to come up with the great piece and what were the challenges you faced?
See some of my other answers to earlier questions - I think I have answered both the motivation and challenges queries. The main motivation was wanting to write something about the Olympic Peninsula and the ancient belief among First Peoples they have always been here. The main challenge was being patient enough to let the story emerge.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

Your series are great and captivating, Sir. Please, how were you able to successfully connect and situate the storyline?

Return to “Discuss Totem (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon”