The dream/vision sequences

Use this forum to discuss the February 2022 Book of the month Totem: (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Re: The dream/vision sequences

Post by Amenrodion »

I feel that the earlier time events are ancestral memories because of how real they were and how they allowed her to be immersed in the culture quickly
ericaball
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericamartabee.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by ericaball »

Charlie Sheldon wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 18:27 Are the "earlier time" accounts visions, dreams, ancestral memories, or time travel?
It might be interesting to note that for many peoples around the world the connection to one's ancestors is very deep and spiritual. Many believe that the spirit is not limited to time or place, which is a little different then these options
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Rita Nuncia »

I will go with ancestral memories because she could communicate with the ancestors and also easily blend in with the locals. Moreover, time travel, dreams and visions doesn't give such instant understanding and confidence in what needs to be done as she gets them.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

As others have suggested, Sarah's experiences are most likely ancestral memories. It's a little complicated because she appears to be able to change the outcome of previous occurrences. The fact that sarah’s wound got healed when she met her friends also serves to support time travel.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
pudding047
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pudding047.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by pudding047 »

I think the whole point of the "earlier time" was to have an open interpretation, as many people might believe in time travel but not in visions and so. Personally, I thought it was mix of vision and ancestral memory.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I think she's having a blending of memories from her past selves with ancestral memories. I don't really count memories of past selves (which Sarah appears to be having) as 'ancestral' memories, so (to me) it's two different things happening together. It does make a certain sort of sense that her past selves could interact with her ancestors because they are also in her past.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
SamanthaGarcia
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthagarcia.html
Latest Review: Fates Sweet Passion by Patricia Crumpler

Post by SamanthaGarcia »

I haven't finished the book but I have read many of the scenes. To answer the question, I feel it is explained by time travel. It would explain where they went when they disappeared and reappeared. This older life is too specific to be seen as only a memory. I feel they physically went there and once returned, had living scars and proof of having lived a different life.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

marba wrote: 04 Feb 2022, 13:22 Probably what Sarah experiences are ancestral memories, as others are saying. It's a bit tricky, though, because she seems able to influence the course of past events; so the question is: is Sarah just remembering her past-self decisions or is she actually making them? At the same time, in the first book, Sarah loses half of her finger. When Tom, Myra, and William found her, the cut is almost healed, and I don't think it would be possible in eight days: this would push in the direction of the time travel theory.
This is a really good point about the cut on her finger. I think that definitely makes the time travel theory seem most likely.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

I will describe the 'early times' account as ancestral memories because, judging from the whole idea of the book, it's the most reasonable inference to make.
Nicole Alfarone
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nicole Alfarone »

I loved this book it really hit a place in my heart! It can be a little confusing i guess you can say because sarah seems to be able to influence people of the past especially in regards to her ansetors and past events. Its all explained through time travel which is so cool!!you just have to read this book yourself to really understand,its great!!!
Reading_Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-jack.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Reading_Jack »

I would say that it was both ancestral memories and time travel. This is because she was in the past and was still able to communicate with her past relatives.
dcruzsammy
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcruzsammy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by dcruzsammy »

I think ancestral memories make more sense. She's using the memory of her past self to blend in with the locals.
jeanmtdb
Favorite Book: Devil Among Us
Currently Reading: The Dragons of Chiroptera
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanmtdb »

I would say the dream sequences or time travels are ancestral memories that travel through tribal DNA. Sarah, Laurie, and others who traveled back into the memories learned the history and language and became a person who lived then. I thought they were well-written and woven into the present-day events seamlessly.
Charlie Sheldon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Charlie Sheldon »

jeanmtdb wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 13:30 I would say the dream sequences or time travels are ancestral memories that travel through tribal DNA. Sarah, Laurie, and others who traveled back into the memories learned the history and language and became a person who lived then. I thought they were well-written and woven into the present-day events seamlessly.
Except.....Henry David Olsen was not descended from the Sol Duc tribe, and neither was Laurie, yet they had similar experiences....
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I think it's both, saying is just ancestral memory will not fit the equation because how do we explain Sarah's communication with the ancestors? So I think is both ancestral memory and time travel.

Return to “Discuss Totem (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon”