Can James ever love Lily?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Can James ever love Lily?

Post by Damian Keyes »

Throughout the book, James is shown to have two sides to him. At one minute he's in love with Lily and is her protector, the next he is treating her as his property. Do you think James will be able to love Lily fully with all his heart? Or, will society's pressures during that time will influence his choice? Is he ready to take on the challenges that will come with his and Lily's potential relationship?
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I think James can love Lily with all his heart. But his choice will be greatly influenced by the society. Their circumstances are very complicated to sustain a relationship. Also, James has to consider the impact of his choice to Lily's career and dreams.
Adekeye-Hassan A
Currently Reading: The Christmas Pig
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Adekeye-Hassan A »

Yes, I do believe that he has the capabilities to love her fully even with the influence of the society. But there relationship is complicated so I believe he can also be influenced by the pressures in the society.
Marija Savic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marija-savic.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Marija Savic »

I think James can love Lily. Society is currently influencing his behavior. I hope that they will flee to Europe as they planned.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Love sometimes cannot stand the pressure. If James is not able to overcome the pressure of the society then love might never happen. Maybe James can never really love Lily, can not give his whole heart to her. If I was James then I might have succumb to the pressure.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I think James' idea of love is different than Lily's but strong none the less. What is frustrating is that he is either hot or cold and doesn't seem to be able to normalize to something in between. He thinks that protecting Lily means that he can't show an ounce of love and doesn't realize that he can kill Lily's sense of love by doing just that.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

I the book his love for Lily is greatly influenced by society, I think he would never be able to love lily completely.
:tiphat:
stevewales96
Currently Reading: Happiness is All We Want!
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by stevewales96 »

To be able to love one successfully you have to first if all shun every negativity coming from the outside world that might taint ones love life. James here wouldn't amount to much in regards to loving lily, though, it's doable but it won't come without its own set of setback since pressure from the society at large still has a hold on them
Raymonda onwuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Raymonda onwuka »

I think James that can Lily. Though the society is influencing James, I think their love will wax stronger if they escape to Europe.
Emmanuel Anyalewechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pharmemma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Emmanuel Anyalewechi »

I strongly believe that love can exist between James and Lily not minding the societal pressure. It is not always the societal ups and downs that determine love. When love leads, then other pressures become weak.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

James relationship with Lily is what I call complicated. Also, James is human and very vulnerable to the demands of the society, although I perceive he truly loves her.
Mariam K 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariam-k-7.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Mariam K 7 »

Why not? It is true that public life has separated James and Lily from each other, but they have been together since childhood. Love knows no ethnos and race, nor social class. The answer is yes, of course. James could have loved Lily
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

I think James can love Lily with all his heart, but to have the relationship, he has to consider the society, and Lily's life with him.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Truc Mai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truc-mai.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Truc Mai »

I think James really loved Lily. But he can't do it in public. Society's pressure caused him to hide. So he used a suitable solution.
Joy Chukwuka
Favorite Book: Double Down
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-chukwuka.html
Latest Review: Double Down by C J Axlerod

Post by Joy Chukwuka »

James loved Lily, and he proved it beyond doubt. Sometimes he had to act brutish to protect her, and at the beginning of the book, he was confused about what to do with his feelings. But he certainly loves her.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”