Was James too jealous?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Chesko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chesko.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Re: Was James too jealous?

Post by Chesko »

I strongly agree with you. I thought James was unnecessarily acting out of extreme jealousy. Some of his reactions were so wild and I cannot believe Lily had to put up with it.
Itz Savaga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

I don't think James was being too possessive. A man in love should mark his territory and set standards for the relationship. If he does otherwise, a lot could wrong with his relationship. So James did not overdo it.
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

Marija Savic wrote: 09 Jan 2022, 11:02 James reacts very inappropriately in some situations. I'm not sure if it's just his jealousy or inability to say and do what he wants. I believe that his behavior would have been different if society had approved of his views.
I completely agree with this. His behaviour at times made it difficult to tell if it was truly love or jealously. I think the society had a big impact on him, cos he lacked proper communication of his feelings in a matured way.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Charlize Venter wrote: 09 Jan 2022, 09:02 I may agree with you here...
The thing one needs to take into account is the influence that James’s father had on his personality. A lot of that jealousy, I assume, must have been engrained by the meandering that Jesse left on and in his son.
The jealousy can also be understood in the sense that in the beginning of the friendship in childhood, Lily and James shared and incredibly beautiful friendship; then their friendship was discovered and, subsequently, Lily was taken from James. She was taken from him before. The effect of her being taken from him in this manner is intensified when one notices his jealousy: how painful it must have been for young James to lose someone so close to him (an abrupt taking of a loved one), just as he had abruptly lost his mother-permanently lost her. Yet, Lily is still alive. This must heighten a fear of losing her again -permanently- as he lost his mother to death.
The fear of losing her again must fuel his jealousy, he tries to avoid the danger in the pain of even the slightest possibility of losing her again.
I really like how you interpreted James's behaviour in relation to his past and his friendship with Lily. I also agree with your first line, all this reflection doesn't negate the fact that he was being jealous or any of his other traits. It's just thay sometimes when you study a person, you can understand them and still not deny the facts.
Bookallious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookallious.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bookallious »

I would say obsessive, and totally possessive. Personally though, I believe it is alright for the strength his feelings.
jemimapaul
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by jemimapaul »

Yes, James was too jealous. He has no right to feel that way when he himself has been with other women apart from Lily.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html

Post by Fajarr »

He was jealous. There is no other way to describe him towards Lily. And this is what turned me off about him. I guess he made a perfect villain.
Samuel Onowhakpor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-onowhakpor.html
Latest Review: Seeker: A Sea Odyssey by Rita Pomade

Post by Samuel Onowhakpor »

Yeah, I agree with the fact that his excessiveness and jealously with Lily at some instances is wrong. He could have treated Lily with dignity at many situations in the book.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

In my opinion, James is pathologically jealous and over-protective at the same time.
His jealousy often seems very stupid. Perhaps this is the influence of the slave-master society on his poor brain. James was used to seeing people as his own things, and this kind of perverted his psyche. A perverted society can transform even love into something strange.
As many people have mentioned here, James is afraid of losing Lily again. So he is over-protective about her too.
Jackson ONeil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackson-oneil.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Jackson ONeil »

I will agree that James was too overprotective of Lily, maybe because he was scared of losing her again but I don't think he was too jealous as jealousy and over protectiveness are two different things
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Yeah, he acted wired at some point. I didn't really feel good with it.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”