Was anyone else completely in love with the father/daughter relationship between Lily and William?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Katelyn Townsend 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelyn-townsend-1.html
Latest Review: The Curious Spell of Madam Genova by J.G. Schwartz

Re: Was anyone else completely in love with the father/daughter relationship between Lily and William?

Post by Katelyn Townsend 1 »

I think William was an amazing father figure towards Lily. He gave her the support and confidence needed to help her grow as a woman, as a father figure should.
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

I agree, the nuance in the relationship made it believable. Loved that they made each other better people.
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

I definitely agree with you. I feel like this was my favorite aspect of the whole book. William, to me, seemed like an amazing person despite him being rich. He's easily my favorite.
cutemami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cutemami.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by cutemami »

William as a character on his own is lovable but how he treated Lily made him all the more lovable. Their relationship was amazing and anyone would be lucky to have a father like him. The way he treated lily like his daughter despite their differences in social class goes to show just how much of a great human being he was. The relationship between them could be used as a teaching moment to some people out there.
Rhea_K
Currently Reading: Rising Sun
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-k_2353942.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Rhea_K »

William is my favourite character too! There is something so heartwarming and wholesome about this father/daughter relationship between him and Lily that really makes me smile. Nice to see that other readers felt the same.
Nyavaloesther
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyavaloesther.html
Latest Review: The Truth Is Beyond Belief! by Jerry Durr

Post by Nyavaloesther »

They say the relationship of the fathers and their daughters is always strong, I saw this to be true in this book. The way William took Lily to be his daughter is beautiful. I hope that every girl gets to enjoy this kind of fatherly love, even if they do not have their biological fathers.
Siphesihle Prince
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siphesihle-prince.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Siphesihle Prince »

Yes I loved it. Their relationship was very heart-warming. The character, William, himself, was a much needed touch to the story. His personality is very endearing and the way she created Lily made one not lose belief in the humanity of the people of that time.
Ayomikun Babalola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomikun-babalola.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ayomikun Babalola »

I completely agree. I loved how attentive and absolutely caring he was towards her.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

The way William treated Lily was adorable and heart-warming to witness, considering the social class divide and the era they lived in. I applaud the author for highlighting this side of the story since there were masters like William during slavery period who were not as bad as they were being conditioned to be.
CreatedbyGob
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-createdbygob.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by CreatedbyGob »

I loved reading and seeing the relationship between William and Lilly, it was very wholesome reading how the characters interacted with each other.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I thought it was absolutely heartwarming. The part where WIlliam is begging Jame's father to set Lily free from slavery, even going as far to offer to buy her really grabbed at my heart and I could truly feel the bond the two had created through a love of music
The Reviewer63
Favorite Book: The Fox
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-reviewer63.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by The Reviewer63 »

Of course me. its always love of mine to enjoy the relationship of a family. love of father and daughter comes at first as it is such a sacred relation. I love the way William helped lily and in turn, Lilly helped him in his passion. plus he is my favorite character in the ebook I really appreciate his stance to take any slaves.
Georgina Rossi
Currently Reading: Secrets the Walkers Keep
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Georgina Rossi »

Mounce574 wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 15:36 William is the epitome of what anyone would like as father. His participation with developing Lily's natural talent was something positive in the book. It helped with lightening the dark subject of slavery. He treated her as though he was her real father and didn't care what others thought.
I wholeheartedly agree. William's unrelenting "fight" for freeing the slaves shows how selfless he is. As a wealthy landowner, he could easily have had his own slaves but chose the side of basic humanity, treating Negros equally as the whites.
GaKuu De Mamer
Currently Reading: Disasters To Dream
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gakuu-de-mamer.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by GaKuu De Mamer »

I believe and agreed that William's character is one of the most fascinating in the novel. His support of Lili's dream becoming a reality was truly heartwarming. The book was truly inspirational. I believe that William's character is one of the most interesting in the novel. His support of Lili's dream becoming a reality was truly heartwarming. His character was well-represented in the novel.
Boohoo31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boohoo31.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Boohoo31 »

That’s true of you. Williams’ character is different from others, helpful in his way. I also love the way he brought out the best in Lily, supporting her music career while he himself also found his love for music again.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”