Ending

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Ending

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

Every writer shouldn't sabotage their own book and should think hard about how they end their trilogy. A good example is this book. You could either give readers something to look forward to or drive them away to read other books that are massive and better in the bookstores, online or offline. The last taste you leave in the mouth, in this case, the minds of readers, matters. I wasn't happy about the ending. It was disappointing, in my opinion. But I hope she learns and gets better with her endings. She can only get better at story writing and needs all the encouragement she can get. Writers shouldn't take unnecessary risks like that... Maybe she wasn't expecting it to be a big hit? Reading is getting on fire now. People are reading, not for the sake of reading, but to stimulate their minds. If you don't write well, people will ask you questions.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

I wouldn't want an obvious cliffhanger for the ending. While I had doubts about it being the perfect ending, I'm glad it's not an obvious one.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

I felt sad, angry, and disappointed too. I expected something that would leave me stuck up, but no. The author left me hanging so I wonder what she has in mind for us. I hope there is more than more where that came from.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

A sequel to an already good book will always be asked if it's necessary. Sometimes the author has so many ideas for the characters that one book is not enough. I guess that's what happened here. The author realized there's so much more than can be done with Lily and James. It may seem abrupt but that's why it is also called a plot twist. It happens when you least expect it. I may not agree with how it ended but I applaud the risk the author took.
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 470
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Post by Reva Parker »

When I was reading the last part of the book, I was thinking it was going to be her mom that was standing by James and he had been late because he went to buy her so that she could be with Lily. But then when I read that it was Jesse, I was just confused. And then when James didn't do anything, I was not only confused but very angry and at first didn't want to finish the book. But I do want to at least start the second book because not only did I really enjoy this one, but I want to see if James has an ulterior plan and if so would Lily ever forgive him for it.
Anne Lucas
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anne-lucas.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Anne Lucas »

I personally am not a fan of cliff hanger or abrupt endings. The story, especially in the parts of Lily’s character, was so spectacularly written that the ending felt like a huge disappointment. Although I don’t know whether I would read the upcoming books of the series or not, what I know is that the author could’ve done better at the ending of this first book.
:tiphat:
estanlypido12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estanlypido12.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by estanlypido12 »

I think it’s part of the author’s style, though. I was satisfied, but maybe it could have been established well. Moreso, I believe there’s a next sequel to anticipate.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I loved the story a lot. However, as you said, the ending threw me off. I understand this book is part of a trilogy, however, I truly cannot even remotely understand what could have caused such a massive shift in Jame's attitude, especially when he was the one making the call to end all the misery along with his dreams of escaping the world he repeatedly said he felt stuck in. I know I'll have to check book two to continue and get an understanding, but the ending left me so distraught in a way that it almost makes me not want to read the second sequel to see what type of excuse he has for this behavior.
Jumana Fawmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jumana-fawmi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Jumana Fawmi »

I feel the ending a bit rushed. It left me taken back and hanging after the author did a good job with the rest of the story. But I guess it's intentional to entice the reader towards the sequel.
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

The ending really wasn’t it for me. I could see that this was a way of introducing a sequel but I still think it could have been fine tuned. However, it did make me read the sequel anyway so I guess that counts for something!
tyron esendi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tyron-esendi.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by tyron esendi »

Katie Canedy wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 13:57
Wesusa wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 13:20 A common trend permeating a great many of the reviews of "The Prodigy Slave" on the site revolve around its cryptic ending. I recently read through it, and although I enjoyed the book for the most part, I too was a bit confused by the ending. While I quite enjoyed its significance to the story and its nature of being a cliffhanger does induce some excitement for the sequel, I don't think it stuck the landing completely. It felt a bit abrupt and not cohesive enough. What did you think of the ending? Was it effective, or did it simply not need to happen?
I found the ending abrupt and left very little regarding what to expect for the next book. I was unsure of which characters were involved in the ending, and I can say that the ending left me not wanting to finish the series. I do think the ending needed to happen, but the execution could have been better.

My thoughts exactly. The ending was necessary and it does create suspense and excitement about the next book. However, the writing is lackluster. The ending's writing took the wind from my sails. Now I'm not so sure I will look for the next book.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

I think the way the book ends, had the purpose to make us create or chose the ending that we would like, therefore, the author attempted to indirectly involve us in its end.
Luyar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Luyar »

Romance books tend to have a certain type of ending, and this was not typical, not at all! It left me totally confused and wanting to get my hands on the sequel as fast as possible to see how the story would continue.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

I so loved and appreciated the ending. It was so unexpected yet so needed. From the middle of the book, I could tell that this wasn't a story to be told in one week. That is just me, I look ahead of things. But the plot twists succeeded to keep me in my toes at least and left me with my mouth agape.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Samuel Onowhakpor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-onowhakpor.html
Latest Review: Seeker: A Sea Odyssey by Rita Pomade

Post by Samuel Onowhakpor »

The art of cliffhanging should not be used for some books and this book is an example of such exemptions. The loose ends do not make me craving for the sequel, but instead water down it. The ending could have been done better.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”