What was your opinion on the relationship between Lily and James? Is it romantic? Or is it inappropriate and forced?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Aubrie_Waters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrie-waters.html
Latest Review: The Northern Pike Story by Thomas Ashmore
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

What was your opinion on the relationship between Lily and James? Is it romantic? Or is it inappropriate and forced?

Post by Aubrie_Waters »

I think that this book is wonderfully written, but the option to make James and Lily’s relationship romantic is interesting. It defies the confines of a standard relationship, and I don’t know if I like how it was executed.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

The same is for me. I did like the unconventional romance between the two but somehow I did not feel anything while reading the story. It was not portrayed that effectively. The writing could have been more impactful.
Adeyemi6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Adeyemi6 »

I don't believe the connection was forced because James and Lily have been attracted to one other since they were children, but I'm not confident James won't be persuaded into betraying her.
bello jamiu5
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bello-jamiu5.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by bello jamiu5 »

I can't say much about James' feelings for Lily as I am yet to be convinced that he truly loves her and will stand by her through the hardship she will be facing in the process of liberation. In a culture where slavery is prevalent, it is simple for a master in love with a slave to flip sides and become a furious ruler rather than a lover.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I am torn. While they have an undeniable attraction, I wonder if that will be enough. To me, James didn't seem sincere, and I worry that he could easily be led astray into betrayal.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I don't think their relationship was forced, but I am not sure about James's sincerity toward Lilly. I hope he doesn't betray her in any way!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

James didn't force anything on Lily. The feeling was mutual. Lily at first thought James intentions was bad. She soon understood why James did whatever he did.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Aubrie_Waters wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 03:37 I think that this book is wonderfully written, but the option to make James and Lily’s relationship romantic is interesting. It defies the confines of a standard relationship, and I don’t know if I like how it was executed.
I felt that it was too sexualized as I read further into the book. There are little snippets of their friendship, but I did not feel that the romance side of it was appropriate. I wanted to see more of Lilly's character and her talent in the first book and more of their romance in the second one.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Well it seems that everyone is convinced that James can betray lily but what don't we see all sides of the story. James could be sincere but society is the one that forces him to betray her. We have to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

It felt a little forced. I say this mostly because James' occupation as a slave owner does pose some problems to the relationship. I felt at all times there was no telling what he was capable of doing- and that sort of took away from the romance aspect for me.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
OTrain D
Currently Reading: My Living Will
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-d.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by OTrain D »

I can't say it was forced because they fell in love since they were young and didn't have any clue about the environment they were born into. Yes, I agree, growing up, it all felt awkward to me, so I get why you would also this way. But nonetheless I approve of it. I beleive love conquers all.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I also agree with others. I like where their relationship is trying to go. I liked how they start out as friends when they were little, but now, I feel she is much more in love than he is at this time. Maybe she is a bit more mature? Maybe he needs to mature mentally a little? I guess if there are more books, maybe we will see these too again. But for now, i’m not sure their love will last forever. I don’t feel it’s very forced though.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

I don't think that the relationship between James and Lily is inappropriate or forced in any way, the only thing is James can easily switch from lover to villain if things don't go his way.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I liked the unconventionalness of the relationship, but for some reason, it felt like the author was trying to force the two characters, Lily and James, into doing something that didn't quite match the characters. I cannot quite put my finger on why it comes across like this to me.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I think that such an imbalance of power is not a good start in any relationship, let alone at the times. Yes, James feelings seem sincere, but how long for?

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”