What was your opinion on the relationship between Lily and James? Is it romantic? Or is it inappropriate and forced?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Re: What was your opinion on the relationship between Lily and James? Is it romantic? Or is it inappropriate and forced?

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

I wouldn't say their relationship was neither inappropriate nor forced. These two loved each other from the early stages of childhood, though society somehow had played a role in their relationship, somehow I believe James may have felt some genuine love for Lilly.
Gabriela Contreras
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriela-contreras.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriela Contreras »

I like the idea of the relationship, but I did not find it... real. It was not forced, maybe there wasn't chemistry and that is all.
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

There is unmistakable connection between Lily and James, but there is a class difference, and he is a villain who can switch on Lily at any time. I don't believe their connection is coerced, but James is more concerned with society than with his own sentiments. In this scenario, I'd say his priorities are a little scattered.
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

The relationship between Lily and James is not faced, is a romantic relationship because James was not like his family he had a good, lovely story of slavery.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

I think their relationship is solid and mature. It was rooted in friendship, built on and love and strengthened on trust. I would to find what the author had in mind for us because it seems to be intriguing.
Anne Lucas
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anne-lucas.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Anne Lucas »

I like that James and Lily have been attracted to each other since they were children, but I don't feel like the romance between them is tall merry. James is more concerned about society than his feelings. I don't think the romance between them is forced, but I don't trust James to keep Lily happy and loved forever. I hope, in the sequels, his character changes and becomes more emotional.
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

This is straight and forwards it was romantic, not forced. Because even when James was found by his father that he was friendly with a slave he couldn't stop thinking about Lily, even when they were separated, so the guy was in love.
Chijindu Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

I personally do not think the relationship between James and Lily was forced because they have been closed to one other since they were infant.
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 470
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Post by Reva Parker »

I don't think it was forced, but I am hoping James is strong enough to follow through with it and not lose Lily forever. My thoughts are in different situations falling in love with someone that maybe you shouldn't. But sometimes this had worked out. I think they had a very strong connection even as children. I've heard people in real life say that nobody knows what the relationship is really like. I'd add, sometimes even the two involved don't. I'm hoping that there is an ulterior plan at the end of this book, or I will be very mad at James.
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

While its true that an imbalance of power can mean future troubles for a budding relationship, it is obvious that James was only a victim of circumstance. However, its clear that he loves Lily.
estanlypido12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estanlypido12.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by estanlypido12 »

For me, it is. Usually, it’s the type of relationship that I find romantic. It was not forced, and it was not for anything else. It’s pure love that evokes between the two.
Joyjim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Post by Joyjim »

I love the execution of this part of the story. James and Lily's relationship is believable and is a beautiful part of the story.
Sarai Burgos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarai-burgos.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Sarai Burgos »

I don't get the impression that it was a forced relationship since there was a connection since childhood.
Still I think James looks like he could betray her
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I didn't like it because of the power dynamic between them. She was a slave, he was a slave owner which made me uncomfortable. However, I was willing to give the relationship a chance.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

My opinion was anything but static. The introduction of James to the story portrayed him as a bit of a cad towards Lily. But as the story progressed it became clear that his feelings were genuine. I do not think that a relationship that has its roots in childhood, like this one did, can be fake or forced. James’s first impression of Lily was pity when she was first dragged into his life, he got angry at his dad for hitting her, he also got angry at the lawman for his use of the N-bomb…and so on.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”