What was your opinion on the relationship between Lily and James? Is it romantic? Or is it inappropriate and forced?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Aistar Posh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aistar-posh.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Re: What was your opinion on the relationship between Lily and James? Is it romantic? Or is it inappropriate and forced?

Post by Aistar Posh »

I liked they they defied the norm at that time and got involved romantically. I expected to feel something about their relationship and i did. it was beautiful and filled me with many emotions. I liked it.
Kashmir Lalla
Currently Reading: Turtles All the Way Down
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kashmir-lalla.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Kashmir Lalla »

This book was well-written, and I think the relationship between the master's son, James, and the slave, Lily, was not forced neither was it inappropriate. I think I loved the way they related with each other unconventionally.
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

If it was a realistic story I would've said that their love will come to an end and James will find someone else to love because the time period didn't allow it and punished by law if they were caught. But with all that happened in this book and the lengths they went through to get to where they were, it makes me believe that they might need to start over but they will always end up back together.
“Just keep swimming.”
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

I appreciated how different their relationship turned out to be, but it felt like the author was attempting to force the two characters to do something that didn't seem to fit them. While reading the book, I went through similar feelings.
savannah storey
Currently Reading: You Have Reached Sam
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by savannah storey »

I believe they were forced feelings, that neither of them felt, but over time it became more mutual. It was a good romance and if it were real people would call it “toxic”
bello jamiu5
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bello-jamiu5.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by bello jamiu5 »

For once, I never found their love to be inappropriate because we are all human and, besides, this would not have been a topic if not for the conflict that occurred between the human races.
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

I am a bit undecided on this. Maybe because the balance of power weighs more with James than with Lily. As a result there would always be that fear that under pressure, James may begin to love her less.
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Rita Nuncia »

James and Lily's love story is not the usual type of love story but I don't think it's forced. But the problem is the uncertainty of James future action towards their relationship.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

I do not think the relationship was forced. I thought it was romantic but I feel the imbalanced power dynamics between both makes it a bit inappropriate but definitely not forced.
Larissa Sawers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larissa-sawers.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Larissa Sawers »

I think the attraction between them is mutual. However, I worry about Lily's and James' frame of mind. The writer could have done more to clear up the ambiguity or unnaturalness that appeared in certain parts of the story. This might be cleared up in other books since it is a series.
Siphesihle Prince
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siphesihle-prince.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Siphesihle Prince »

I'd like to share the early experience I had as while reading the initial part of the book.

"I feel that the romance is rather mechanically forced to be more difficult than it ought to be. James is an intelligent and educated man, and nothing is more indoctrine-liberating than a good education. It's a bit strange that all of his knowledge has failed to undo the coarse pedagogy of his father. It makes no sense to me why he would continue to mistreat and be so cold to Lily when he really should no longer fear his papa."

Well, let's just say the plot-twist that the whole charade was just that, a charade, was warmly welcomed by me and my common sense. The heart is a very fickle thing, it's also a very sensitive and tender thing. It makes sense that Lily and James fell in love with each other. They were in a very unloving, unforgiving and cold world, counting only on each other for warmth. That's the kind of bond that only grows and creates more longing with distance and time, like a small flame left out in the middle of the forest. Their love, in all its messiness and confusion sometimes, is very human and organic to me, because that's how love works. It's rarely ever without confusion.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

The relationship is a natural outflow from their childhood friendship. They loved each other from a very young age, so not forced in any way.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I am of a different opinion. Other than the book's ending, I found the romance that kindled between the two was based on honest feelings and passion. The way the affair was portrayed was, thus, sufficient and fulfilling for me.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

James genuinely loves Lily as the author made us understand that they both had feelings for each other from childhood. However, the prevailing situation made James pull back.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

I definitely think the love was genuine and not at all forced. James surely loved Lily and while there was the possibility of him bowing to societal pressure, I do not think it wipes the obvious love all away. Love is a really strong emotion.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”