Lily "plays" smartly.

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Re: Lily "plays" smartly.

Post by Inks and Quills »

Lily did indeed make the best of her situation. Her talent and joy for the piano is mixed with secrecy. This subversion of society norms echoes other themes in the book, where the relationship and vision of a father is fractured as it’s found out that her master is her father. Her deft maneuvering between these themes shows maturity beyond her years.
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

The piano is like a focal point for Lily that has dramatically impacted her life. She has a mix of luck as well as her discreet, smart plays that have shaped her life and led her to success in life. It is very commendable for sure but to me luck played a major role as well since her talent was innate.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

Was very smart to hide her potential from everyone. I felt she would have been in trouble if she went on to display what she can do.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Lily is smart, intelligent and wise. She plays her part well and smartly. Even in her relationship with James, she is calm and collected. I admire her.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1887
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

Lily rising as a star given the most humble circumstances of her life confirms to me that overall, justice and sovereignty prevail in the law of karma in the world! True merit shines in the right atmosphere and ripe conditions and is certainly blessed with success eventually. It provides the readers with the highest motivation and a healthy outlook related to struggle in life and success.
abbyvanana1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyvanana1997.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by abbyvanana1997 »

I was intrigued reading this course of events in the book. I would as well agree that she played her card smartly given the fact that keeping it as a secret for a very long period and may impose adversely.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

I agree that Lily plays smartly, and she had to do so if she were to achieve her dreams, considering she was in a society where odds against slaves's success was high. I greatly admired her courage.
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

Yes, she plays smartly. Her restraint in not acting rashly when she realized her father is her master is smart. Her ability to adapt and do well in the new situation she found herself in, courtesy of James, also showed smartness.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I agree with everything you said. I definitely have a strong appreciation for Lily as a character and how much guts she has. Despite barely being viewed as a human and losing so many people she once loved in her life, she continues to fight for herself through the stories of music she creates on the piano and is calculative with every single decision she makes
leeho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeho.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by leeho »

Lily became rather secretive after discovering that her master was her father, and she found consolation in piano playing, despite the fact that it was banned. I don't believe I could have maintained such a secret at a young age.
Josie Wert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josie-wert.html
Latest Review: The Last Lumenian by S.G. Blaise

Post by Josie Wert »

emma darkwah wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 15:58 Lily really plays her cards smartly from the very beginning when she realizes that her master all this while was her father. She is devastated but she doesn't show it, she finds solace a picks herself up immediately. She turns to piano a source of comfort. She teaches herself to play the piano and she becomes very good at it, she is very reticent as she is able to hide this ability for fourteen years until the nosy master's son; James discovers her deceit. Even though she is punished by James because a slave playing the piano is forbidden, Lily starts her unprecedented journey which dramatically alters her life and influences the lives of thousands, including a powerful man. Regardless of what she faces, Lily is able to push through and conquer life's challenges. The forbidden love of a particular man is questioned, whether his love will be enough to free her from the shackles of slavery. Lily does not lose hope she pushes on to make her life better and not so much like that of a slave.
I think the most impressive thing about her is how despite all the abuse she’s gone through, especially from her masters, she still manages to stand up for herself against James.
Josie Wert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josie-wert.html
Latest Review: The Last Lumenian by S.G. Blaise

Post by Josie Wert »

emma darkwah wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 15:58 Lily really plays her cards smartly from the very beginning when she realizes that her master all this while was her father. She is devastated but she doesn't show it, she finds solace a picks herself up immediately. She turns to piano a source of comfort. She teaches herself to play the piano and she becomes very good at it, she is very reticent as she is able to hide this ability for fourteen years until the nosy master's son; James discovers her deceit. Even though she is punished by James because a slave playing the piano is forbidden, Lily starts her unprecedented journey which dramatically alters her life and influences the lives of thousands, including a powerful man. Regardless of what she faces, Lily is able to push through and conquer life's challenges. The forbidden love of a particular man is questioned, whether his love will be enough to free her from the shackles of slavery. Lily does not lose hope she pushes on to make her life better and not so much like that of a slave.
I think the most impressive thing about her is how despite all the abuse she’s gone through, especially from her masters, she still manages to stand up for herself against James.
F N Chamomile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-f-n-chamomile.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by F N Chamomile »

That's a strong and smart woman for you. Lily is indeed portrayed as a quick-witted and adaptable character. It's actually amazing how she can hide her ability to play the piano, considering all the consequences she had to face.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

For a person with that kind of background like Lily, being able to play smart even after she found out about her father and pursue her dreams despite her situation, made me appreciate the character even more.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

Walter R wrote: 05 Feb 2022, 17:06 Indeed her stealth and ability to hide her talent and skill is quite commendable and I do agree that she does play her part smartly.
Agreed. Do you think it was the push for talent in learning the piano or revenge to show her "master" what she was made of?

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”