Vagabond's Cover Artwork

Use this forum to discuss the December 2021 Book of the month, "Vagabond" by Mary A.J.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Vagabond's Cover Artwork

Post by Wesusa »

In my opinion, the saying "Don't Judge a Book By It's Cover," is applicable to everything except books. To me, much of my general interest is garnered from the cover. It should be a representation of the book. However, it's completely possible to be an amazing book with a lackluster cover (case in point, Game of Thrones) Vagabond's cover is quite pretty, with the pocketwatch being the center piece of the entire cover. The colors are nice and synthesize to create a pretty looking cover, but ultimately somewhat generic in the sea of covers that look practically identical. Do you guys feel it is a good representation of the story, or somewhat lacking in comparison to the book?
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Chinaka94
Currently Reading: Making Her His
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaka94.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chinaka94 »

It's okay. The time piece is symbolic of the age of a character like Cecelia and her new life in a different time as a different person.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I think it is symbolic enough without concealing or uncovering the whole story. I felt like the author was trying to get a simple cover yet astonishing read. I agree the time piece was very relevant.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

Chinaka94 wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 03:27 It's okay. The time piece is symbolic of the age of a character like Cecelia and her new life in a different time as a different person.
That does quite make sense, and I hadn't really thought of it until now. I'm not sure if it's an intentional theme or a motif, but regardless, thanks for the insight!
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

The cover artwork of the book “Vagabond" fits its plot. It doesn't show too much or too little. Readers like me, are first attracted to a book by its cover.
sabira62
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabira62.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by sabira62 »

I am not sure about how i feel about it, the clock isn't that relatable to the story clocks symbolize time but the story talks about lucifer's daughter more than time itself so I was a bit confused, even the colors were not that relatable to me
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Raquel Sojo »

I find the cover too generic. In terms of design it's striking, it offers certain historical features with the lettering and decorative elements, but I find it similar to many covers of books about time travel or mysteries. I always look forward to covers that tell me something about the story and this one leaves me a bit blank.
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Raquel Sojo »

Wesusa wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 13:36 In my opinion, the saying "Don't Judge a Book By It's Cover," is applicable to everything except books. To me, much of my general interest is garnered from the cover. It should be a representation of the book. However, it's completely possible to be an amazing book with a lackluster cover (case in point, Game of Thrones) Vagabond's cover is quite pretty, with the pocketwatch being the center piece of the entire cover. The colors are nice and synthesize to create a pretty looking cover, but ultimately somewhat generic in the sea of covers that look practically identical. Do you guys feel it is a good representation of the story, or somewhat lacking in comparison to the book?
I agree with you, my first impression is based on the cover. For me, it has a lot of value in the decision to read a book.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I feel that book covers are there to help start your reading journey of that book. For this book, it may be a whole time experience, it may be a period of time in life. We don’t know yet. I also see beauty in the cover, just as I see beauty in the time we have getting to know Cecelia throughout the story. It’s intriguing. It draws questions I hope to get answered as I read.
Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

Raquel Sojo wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 22:07 I find the cover too generic. In terms of design it's striking, it offers certain historical features with the lettering and decorative elements, but I find it similar to many covers of books about time travel or mysteries. I always look forward to covers that tell me something about the story and this one leaves me a bit blank.
I definitely agree. There are so many covers nowadays that could easily be mistaken for this one. For me it doesn't outline any particular things of importance from the book.

Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

Book covers tell me a lot about the author and the book content. For vagabond the cover was pretty. That is why I selected it in the first place.
Edem Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edem-michael.html
Latest Review: Loria by Gunnar Hedman

Post by Edem Michael »

The book cover design is unique but a little bit generic. I think it is a good representation of the what the book entails. The clock is a symbolic piece, and the artwork would spur people to read the book.
Latest Review: Loria by Gunnar Hedman
Hihiamira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hihiamira.html
Latest Review: The Illusion of Superiority by Christopher Joseph

Post by Hihiamira »

I understand and respect your point of view; the book cover has a distinct style that, in some ways, I believe reflects the author's work.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

Well, I believe that is congruent with the author's imagery. I don't mind because I can see some linkages between the cover and the main plotline. However, it should have been more understandable to the general public so that we would not be perplexed.
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

The cover of the book seems simple enough, subtly depicting the overall theme of story. While I try not to judge a book by it's cover, I am drawn more to covers with an ancient background and vintage clocks. So no complaints with the cover.

Return to “Discuss "vagabond" by Mary A.J.”