Did anyone find it hard to believe that Cecilia was 201 years old?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2021 Book of the month, "Vagabond" by Mary A.J.
tyron esendi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tyron-esendi.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Re: Did anyone find it hard to believe that Cecilia was 201 years old?

Post by tyron esendi »

I think the disparity between Cecilia's age and her maturity is because of her inexperience. The older a person gets the more mature they become because they have more experiences in life.
Nwadinso Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-michael.html
Latest Review: Mon Cheri by Spare Time Novels

Post by Nwadinso Michael »

I think she is supposed to be more sensitive as she is up to 201 years. However, I also think that being Lucifer's daughter comes with a lot restraint and restrictions. There was a little flaw but I think the flaw shouldn't be over exaggerated.
God is a Poet and he taught me how to hold my pen.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I was expecting Cecilia to be way more mature than how she behaved. However, it makes sense when you consider the backstory of what happened to her all of those years before living amongst humans.
Rashi Agrawal
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashi-agrawal.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rashi Agrawal »

I completely agree. Cecilia is 201 year old which does not perfectly go with the scenes explained.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

At times, I doubted Cecilia's character since it contradicted her age. I can understand, however, that age does not automatically equate wisdom; rather, our experiences do. Because Cecilia's early existence was so unlike to a typical human life, I was better equipped to assess her character in a new perspective.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

I agree that there is a flaw in character here. Cecelia should have been more 'educated' since she would have had more experience being as old as she was. She shouldn't have fell so easily for Sebastian
Themmie10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themmie10.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Themmie10 »

I think a person that said she's 201 years old should have some prior knowledge about a few things, even if she's not going to be so good at it. For someone that has been ignoring love before, she fell too hard and somewhat quick for Sebastian. It's not too bad though, it added to the uniqueness of the book.
Tinski23
Currently Reading: TBD
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinski23.html
Latest Review: Marco Martinez by R M Allan

Post by Tinski23 »

The idea of a 201 year old being so naive and gullible also seemed odd to me. However, it could be the author's way of emphasizing the youth in love.
VictoriousReader
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriousreader.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VictoriousReader »

Cecilia's character may have contradicted her age, but that might have been because she lived a pretty much sheltered life. Up until joining Cornelia High, all she had done was kill mortals and follow her father's commands.
Bradley Shelvie
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

Not at all. In fact, it was an underestimation to me. I've read several books and watched videos (vampire genre) and the Dracula or whatever is even more than that. Considering her nature as an immortal, it is expected to be way more than that.
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Bradley Shelvie

sabira62 wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 17:58
Brittany LaPour wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 15:59 Now I know that Cecilia is a 16-year-old junior in a 201-year-old Princess of Hell body, but the girl didn't know what basketball was? She has never been in love? I understand that perhaps she was busy killing mortals and just didn't find anyone to pine after but for her to fall so hard so quickly for Sebastian when she's so old. It seems a little bit of a character flaw to me. Maybe I'm reading too much into it because it is a young adult book but I thought she would be a tad more mature than the rest of the 16-year-olds.
I actually disagree, she was 201 years old in another world, and what world: HELL, so obviously she wouldn't know anything about the human world, maybe she could be wiser for her age in hell but not about things in the human world, and her falling for Sebastian , well I think since its her first time, she would fall for a 14 year old and not care because of the amazing feeling she's having
Oh yes! I hadn't even thought about it in this view. It's most probable that the time in hell is different from time on earth. Just like the Biblical "a thousand days to a man is one day to God". :D
Bradley Shelvie

Phyll Kamau wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 17:22 I find it hard to believe that Cecilia was 201 years old. She should have been more mature and worldly at that age. I understand that Lucifer wanted her to live a sheltered life, but even sheltered 16-year-olds are more worldly than Cecilia at 201 years old.
But then the time frame in hell is different from that in earth. Also, her nature as an immortal justifies the age since they may take quite a pretty long time to grow. I remember a Dracula movie where the daughter was eight-hundred-and-something years old but "uh-oh, you still can't date since you're still way too young" says father Dracula (add in a little Dracula voice :lol2:).
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

Well, I feel it depends on how the author portrayed his story. It's was quite believable for me that Cecilia was older than she looked. Being a 16 year old in a different place was a new experience for her, and I felt that was why she didn't act a bit mature.
Blessing Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-odii.html
Latest Review: The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Post by Blessing Odii »

She's obviously not mortal and shouldn't be judged by space and time. I believe that could be her age.
Dhyanvi Patel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dhyanvi Patel »

I completely agree with what you've said. I can't image Cecilia to be a lady who is 201 years old. It's also difficult for me to imagine that she can fall in love with Sebastian in such a short period of time. In any case, it's possible that this was one of the strategies utilised by the author to distinguish her work from others with the same premise.

Return to “Discuss "vagabond" by Mary A.J.”