Plot Twist

Use this forum to discuss the December 2021 Book of the month, "Vagabond" by Mary A.J.
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Re: Plot Twist

Post by Brett Linette »

Harsh Soni 3 wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 07:50 I think this is not necessary to do bad things if you are a demon. We can see that by the character of Cecilia.
I feel that the biggest twist for me is to know that Gabriel is Cecilia's saviour.
I do like how Gabriel and his kind were the ones to break up the war between Cecilia and the demons; it was obvious Cecilia was going to win, but having her defeat the demons on her own would've felt cheap.
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Cecilia's inability to focus on just Sebastien was definitely a clever plot twist for me. I didn't see that coming.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

Yulisa Sanchez wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 20:42 The major plot twist for me was discovering more details about Cecilia's mother at the end of the book. This was a great twist since it came with new characters, too (the archangels). It is also when we find out who saved Cecilia from drowning in the river when she was an infant and gave her the watch.
Yes, I agree, I actually liked the end of the book better than the middle. It starts off good, got a bit convoluted with high school drama, and then became interesting when we learn more about Cecilia's mother, and the proverbial war between angels and demons.
SnowStorm244
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Courageous
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowstorm244.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by SnowStorm244 »

I believed that the biggest plot twist was when we found how how Alexander became a demon. I though the “major” plot twist was a bust and just left me with confusion.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

First, I felt sorry for him but does one really need to do demonic things because they are demons? To answer your question, I think the plot twist that caught me the most was that the watch was the missing artifact.
Brian Ruguru
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Self defense or not, the actions were his and his alone. I did not feel sorry for him, but I was quite surprised by the turn of events.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

The best surprise for me was uncovering about Cecilia's childhood. About who saved her from drowning and such.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Fireside119 wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 20:56 Yes, Alexander got accidentally turned into a demon, but he didn't have to perform demonic actions. His character contrasts with Cecilia's. She's a devil by blood yet shies away from her heritage. Hence, Alexander deserves no pity. Let him face the consequences of his monstrous actions.
I agree with you. Alexander should have tried to change his destiny as a demon by doing good, just like Cecilia did.
brooke oakes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooke-oakes.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by brooke oakes »

I think that was definitely a great plot twist! To see him changed into a demon from being murdered created an interesting shift in perspective. I don’t think the book would have been as impactful if this didn’t happen.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

Oh well, it was an emotional moment for me, as I got to find out that Alexander was only trying to defend him self, I was sure if I should go on hating on him or not.
Lasty Kondijo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lasty-kondijo.html
Latest Review: Let's Help You Self-Help! by Anthony Jacob Braaten

Post by Lasty Kondijo »

The author twisted the plotting of the book which, made the book unpredictable and very enjoyable to reade.i enjoyed everything in this book.
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

The watch was the biggest twist for me! I wasn't expecting that at all. Plus finding out that Gabriel was her savior at the beginning - I never would have guessed that.
Fay KM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fay-km.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Fay KM »

Certainly, that was some spectacular plot twist. A reader makes a 180 was being judgemental to becoming sympathetic to Alexander due to his surprising circumstances. Such twists and shocking revelations can potentially alter the course of a novels ending. It can make a really static plot into a completely dramatic story that plays on the emotions and thoughts of the reader.
Rachel Kubus
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Currently Reading: Soundless
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-kubus.html
Latest Review: Acts of Hope by Martin Elsant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Rachel Kubus »

The plot twist you mentioned reminds me of the show "Charmed" and how the one character has to fight against his demonic side, but is ultimately unable to. Because I do believe in demons, I don't really have any sympathy for them, but the author definitely has a unique perspective that challenges my thoughts. Not that the characters are on trial based on my personal beliefs.
Brett Linette wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 09:20 I think the best plot twist is when we find out that the murder which turned Alexander into a demon was arguably an act of self-defense. It was wild to go from judging him to feeling sorry for him.

What do you guys think? Was there one plot twist in the book that you felt stood out from the rest?
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

I agree with the plot twist about Alexander's demonic character but I also really enjoyed the plot twist of Cecilia's mother trying to kill her.

Return to “Discuss "vagabond" by Mary A.J.”