Do you feel like Vagabond established its setting well?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2021 Book of the month, "Vagabond" by Mary A.J.
6eyed
Currently Reading: Pedro Paramo
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-6eyed.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Do you feel like Vagabond established its setting well?

Post by 6eyed »

When I say setting, Im referring to the town Cecilia arrives in and Cornelia High. I felt like the author took their time establishing the atmosphere of New Haven and Jamestown. The nostalgia Cecilia experiences in these human towns shows us why she becomes attached to them and Cornelia High. In contrast, I felt like a lot of aspects of Cornelia high were hardly described. Though the author gives us its history, its students and student life are not explored very much. For example, we are told that the whole school loves Cecilia, and that Sebastian is considered an outcast within the school social structure. We are even told (not shown) that Cecilia is popular with boys and has to deal with a boy repeatedly asking her out. Even though we are told these things, I felt like the school operated more as a tool to give characters' their goals rather than a setting that consistently impact their lives.
What did you feel about the worldbuilding in Vagabond?
Danielle Briggs
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-briggs.html
Latest Review: Moonlit Nights by Jacob Parr

Post by Danielle Briggs »

I agree with you 100%. That was actually one of my only negatives of the book. I thought we were given a very basic picture of the school grounds and rooms/buildings within the school but not enough to fully visualize the setting they are in. This was most frustrating to me during some of the action-packed scenes because I could not visualize exactly how things were happening because we were not given a great picture of the setting.
Ahñ Mèiã
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ah-m-i.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Ahñ Mèiã »

I agree with you. In my opinion, it would have been better if the author described the school life more, before and after her arrival and some details regarding the the rest of the characters, rather than just focusing on her
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

The author should have giving a more inept description of her surrounding. It would create a great mental picture in the mind of the readers. Aside from this every other thing in this book was awesome.
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

Yes, I am fully agreed with you. I feel that author give too little details to imagine the school atmosphere. I think it will be better if the author gives more detail of the school.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

I do agree that the whole premise of a school setting was not depicted that well. The whole atmosphere of the school is through the characters but not the setting. It kind of lacked imagination but I think the author wanted us to focus more on the story rather than the background. That's what I felt.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I feel like Cecilia’s arrival was rather convenient, based on the ending. I do, however, agree that some relevant items were barely explained. We seem to know a whole lot about some things and hardly anything about really important details.
The fabulous
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-fabulous.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by The fabulous »

The author should have described her surroundings more sloppily. It would paint a vivid mental picture in the readers' minds. Aside from that, everything else in this book was fantastic.
beauri21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beauri21.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by beauri21 »

I agree with you, the author should have been more elaborate with the school setting. It was quite basic.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

My understanding was that the school was created by the forefathers who had the option to join the Devil as demons. I though the statute and crypt were adequately described by the author.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
6eyed
Currently Reading: Pedro Paramo
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-6eyed.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by 6eyed »

T T 2 wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 09:36 I do agree that the whole premise of a school setting was not depicted that well. The whole atmosphere of the school is through the characters but not the setting. It kind of lacked imagination but I think the author wanted us to focus more on the story rather than the background. That's what I felt.
I got this sense too! and it makes sense for a character driven story. I don't normally like high school settings but it IS an young adult novel. High school settings work because the characters see each other every day, so it doesn't have to be a particularly imaginative setting. What makes the lack of worldbuilding stick out in Vagabond is that the protagonist hasn't even been to school in her two centuries of life. Because the school is meant to be this safe, new place for Cecilia, the setting becomes a fundamental part of Cecilia's character growth.
Tim Toby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tim-toby.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Tim Toby »

The author created a great plot, however, I agree that the establishment of the settings does not match the plot. I also felt like I needed more description of the settings. I love to imagine the settings whenever I read books so the more description a writer gives of a setting, the more enjoyable the book is.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

6eyed wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 00:08
T T 2 wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 09:36 I do agree that the whole premise of a school setting was not depicted that well. The whole atmosphere of the school is through the characters but not the setting. It kind of lacked imagination but I think the author wanted us to focus more on the story rather than the background. That's what I felt.
I got this sense too! and it makes sense for a character driven story. I don't normally like high school settings but it IS an young adult novel. High school settings work because the characters see each other every day, so it doesn't have to be a particularly imaginative setting. What makes the lack of worldbuilding stick out in Vagabond is that the protagonist hasn't even been to school in her two centuries of life. Because the school is meant to be this safe, new place for Cecilia, the setting becomes a fundamental part of Cecilia's character growth.
Exactly! For Cecelia, it is a completely new place so maybe the author could have given a bit more emphasis on the school setting from her eyes/perspective
Georg Kelb
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georg-kelb.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Georg Kelb »

I totally agree with you. This part of the story was very interesting to me and I was expecting more attention from the author as well. It is also noteworthy that the school and the environment there play a big role in Cecilia's development. However with the help of my imagination I created a complete picture.
Bello Qudus Ola
Currently Reading: Pick the Plot
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Bello Qudus Ola »

mary a.j. did an awesome job on the vagabond but the scenes were not as detailed as i expected it to be, i find it hard to visualize some scenes from the novel

Return to “Discuss "vagabond" by Mary A.J.”