Cecilia being Lucifer's daughter is compatible with her personality?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2021 Book of the month, "Vagabond" by Mary A.J.
Marceleria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: Cecilia being Lucifer's daughter is compatible with her personality?

Post by Marceleria »

I actually like the fact that she is different from her father. Besides it is not necessary for a child to follow in the footsteps of their parents. And Cecilia being like her father would have made the book cliche.
Aubrie_Waters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrie-waters.html
Latest Review: The Northern Pike Story by Thomas Ashmore
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aubrie_Waters »

I think Cecilia has a healthy mix of both her parents. The author is right in the fact that children don't need to inherit the personality characteristics of their parents. If the whole world was too similar to their parents, we'd have a society of near clones.
sabira62
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabira62.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by sabira62 »

I agree and disagree with the author at the same time, children will develop their own personalities for sure however it is inevitable to have some of her father's traits since she grew up with him, it's an unavoidable thing because developed their personality based on what they see and hear since infancy.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

We are not what our parents are. Being Lucifer's daughter doesn't necessarily mean she has to be like him. She has her own character traits as every person does. Her choices portray who she is not her parentage. So I agree with the author.
auth_r
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-auth-r.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by auth_r »

It seems like the way the author made Cecilia is a little issue. But as for me, the author did great on not making Cecilia as much as how his father is. It also contributed to the uniqueness of the book.
aconcaguanana22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aconcaguanana22.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by aconcaguanana22 »

Cecilia is the windfall that dropped way out of the tree's perimeter. This is not an alien phenomenon in life . We can always have children who never end up like their parents.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

Cecilia doesn't have to be the same as his father's persona, in my opinion. Her character has been thoroughly formed, which adds to the book's appeal. Despite the fact that she has become peculiar, I find her endearing.
Mariam02
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Mariam02 »

It shows that it doesn’t matter who your parents is ,you can change the narrative, Cecilia has characteristics that are different from Lucifer and that’s a good thing ,it shows that you can be whatever you want to be regardless of your upbringing.
TUSHAR_4041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by TUSHAR_4041 »

Cecilia is not like her father. And it's not a rule for a child to be exactly like her parents. Cecilia is a different personality and that adds to my interest in the book.
Alyssa444
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa444.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Alyssa444 »

Coming from a childhood where I was told to be, think and act a certain way, I could relate to her choosing to not be like her father. The story is clear that she was exactly like him for a long time and then that changed. The reason wasn't very clear. I remember her saying she just got tired of that life. I feel like there need to be more details and digging into the why. Why did she change? What changed her? Brainwashing is very possible with a toxic parent and Lucifer was obviously the most toxic parent of all
Kuchi Mercy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kuchi-mercy.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Kuchi Mercy »

It is only expected that a child portrays either of the parent's traits. However, I do not count it an off point if Cecilia's personality contrasted that of Lucifer.
expansive writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-expansive-writer.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by expansive writer »

With how Cecilia behaved as a spoiled rich girls who hard fights with her dad this automatically made her to have qualitaties of devils daughter.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

I think the fact that Cecile had a different personality from her father is not shocking as children can take different paths from their parents
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 07:03 Cecelia Harrow is Lucifer's daughter, but she seems to be very different from who the princess of Hell should be. I know that this way the author removes the cliche from the character, but at the same time, for me it seems that it also removes other possibilities that the character personality might have. Do you think that Cecilia being Lucifer's daughter is compatible with her personality?
Perhaps not in the normative stereotypical way one would assume, but yet it does give one that 'rebellious princess' vibe in a different light. One can consider the series Sabrina as an example, she too is the daughter of the devil, yet she pivots between the ideals of being the child she is expected to be and the person she was raised to be. This book is different, of course, but the idea can in some ways still be applied.

We, unfortunately, cannot make the judgement on whether or not her personality is compatible with her birth or not. These characters are speculative and there is no real data to base their personalities from; hence, we can only speculate.
Who am I to say it is or is not.

Again, this is but my subjective meaning.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I half expected her to have the attitude of her father but I also how the author proved me wrong by showing Cecilia's trait rooting differently from that of Lucifer.

Return to “Discuss "vagabond" by Mary A.J.”