The Book Cover Design

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Re: The Book Cover Design

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

The book's cover is primarily black and red. Red is a strong color that evokes sentiments of passion and violence. Black is a solemn color that conjures up images of mystery and death. Both hues may be seen in horror and thriller films. From the start, the colors create a tense atmosphere. On a red backdrop, a black shadow. This sets the right tone for the reader to enjoy the work. The book's cover, in my opinion, is well-chosen.
Adeyinka7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Adeyinka7 »

The protagonist's shadow behind the title text is enticing enough to make you want to read this book. The book cover is well-designed to pique the interest of curious readers.
Juliet Johnson
Currently Reading: Functional Dysfunction
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-johnson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by Juliet Johnson »

I think the book cover is great. The use of a silhouette, as well as the red and black colors, was excellent. With a silhouette, readers can visualize their protagonist in any way they like, and the colors chosen convey seriousness
Abi1
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi1.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B01KLMX1KM

Post by Abi1 »

I love the design of the book cover and how it links with the three phrases on the book: "His building. His genius. His darkness."

"His building." This phrase on the cover is conveyed in the way in which the title of the book on the cover is layed out almost like a skyscraper, with a broad base and narrowing inwards the higher it goes.

"His genius" is highlighted in the posture of the silhouette, looking to be pondering some great problem as he racks his brain for a solution or idea.

"His darkness" ties nicely in with the black silhouette of a man, which is likely of the main character.

These phrases and the way they are conveyed through the imagery and textual style of the cover is subtle, yet beautifully and cleverly designed.
Ify-babe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-babe.html
Latest Review: The Spiritual Game of Golf . . . and of life by Gerald Collier Davis

Post by Ify-babe »

While it is said not to judge a book by its cover, this particular cover got me attracted, from the fonts to the colours to the images. I think it was well planned and the aim achieved
Laura P 2
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-p-2.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Laura P 2 »

I have not read this book yet and depending on a cover, I would not want to read it. I like the silhouette and the emotion it expresses, moreover, red and black color really catches an eye and promise some intriguing plot. However, it is the way and font of the title that displeasing for me. Anyway, I heard it is a great book, so it is going to my "want to read" shelf.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I like the mix of different colors, especially the way the font was written on the cover of the book. I thought it was pretty creative. Most book titles aren't like that. I also like that there was a silhouette because I like to make my imagination take control and not have to stick to one image.
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

Personally, the book cover gives a retro feel to the reader. But apart from that, does not seem to give any hints or relate in any way to the story. Nonetheless, the cover is indeed eye-catchy and may grab the attention of a prospective reader.
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

The book cover design is ingenious and full of meaning. At a glance, I had the general idea that the story is about a building and there is something foreboding as well.
STabassum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stabassum.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by STabassum »

Never judge a book by its cover. But in today’s world, the first impression is the outer cover of any book. I liked the silhouette image on the cover because of a sense of suspense in it. The cover speaks a lot about the turmoil in the life of the protagonist.
Khasheem
Currently Reading: Prince of Fools
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khasheem.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Khasheem »

I feel like it is a more immersive experience if some things are left up to the reader after being given a starting point. If everything was detailed there would be nothing to wonder about or personalise. I believe they were trying the same thing with the cover.
Aubrie_Waters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrie-waters.html
Latest Review: The Northern Pike Story by Thomas Ashmore
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aubrie_Waters »

After reading the book, I love the cover. I think the pose and shape of the silhouette tells so much about the protagonist. However, I have to say, I am not sure I would have been interested in the book based solely on the cover. Without understanding the context of the book, the cover is almost bland.
bello jamiu5
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bello-jamiu5.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by bello jamiu5 »

The book cover is promising enough to interest curious readers like me. I had to admit that the author really delivered. From my understanding of the little art on the book cover, it tells us about a lost individual who is struggling to get back on his feet.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I quite like the placement of the font, it serves to look like a building and is easy to read. However I don't think the silhouette or the red background really intrigues the reader. Had I not previously read the book I would not have given it a chance from its lackluster cover.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Miracle Chidera 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-chidera-1.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Miracle Chidera 1 »

Kike17 wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 17:04 I believe that book covers should share vital information about a book's content. Therefore, this book's cover was not satisfactory since I couldn't decipher much from the silhouette on the cover.
I actually think the book cover shared vital information about the Freedom Building's content. We actually know that the building is a strong factor in the book and the silhouette is also important in the mystery of the real builder of the Zenith building.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”