The Book Cover Design

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Cwilde13
Currently Reading: Watership Down
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwilde13.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Re: The Book Cover Design

Post by Cwilde13 »

I enjoy how the cover design allowed the reader to come to their own conclusions about which character was represented. It went well with the ambiguous nature of the story.
Inge van Tonder
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inge-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Inge van Tonder »

I think it is quite fitting to what happens in the book. The darkness being with him everywhere, it can be portrayed as an underlying symbol. The words as well, looks like a building shape, and could be because he doesn't know what the building looks like, the words, "The freedom building" makes up a silhouette of a high building.
Jolaade Idowu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborah363.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Jolaade Idowu »

I like spending time on book covers to uncover hidden meanings. The silhouette of a man on the cover is obviously John. If we look closely at the red background, we see lines. These lines are architectural line drawings
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

Though the image of a silhouette on the cover page of the book gave readers a glimpse of what the book is about, readers still have to read couple of pages to unravel the true storyline. Summarily, I like the design of the cover.
katerina_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katerina-12.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by katerina_12 »

Limpho Mojakisane wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 14:23
katerina_12 wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 11:41 The cover of the book is mostly in black and red. Red is bold and conveys feelings of passion, and aggression. Black is serious and signifies mystery and death. You will find both colors in horror and thrillers. The colors create a tense mood from the beginning. The black shadow on a red background. This creates the appropriate mood for the reader to read the novel. I think the cover of the book is perfectly selected.
Black signifying mystery also adds to the silhouette part don't you think? Because the silhouette also poses some sort of mystery which also speaks volumes! Moreover, I believe the reader can already guess that there is some sort of mystery and suspense in the book just by the design of the cover.
Yes, it is very clever. We often hear that we should not judge a book by its cover. I think we may judge as well as understand its contents with the help of a cover. 8)
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

I really like that the cover doesnt have a real person on it, or even a face but just a sillhoutte. I like to imagine charachters in my own way and so not having the image of someone on the covers leaves the imagination up to the reader.
Rachel Kubus
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Currently Reading: Soundless
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-kubus.html
Latest Review: Acts of Hope by Martin Elsant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Rachel Kubus »

The cover definitely intrigues you, so you want to read the book description. From the cover though, I have no idea what the book is about, which to me is important in getting me to read a book. I don’t like too much obscurity.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I like how the cover reflects the genre of the book. The moment I saw it, I knew it fits the story and overall vibes of the novel. The faceless silhouette definitely caught my attention because it's mysterious. My favorite part is the color of the cover, and I didn't find anything to dislike about it.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I like that only a silhouette is shown. It leaves everything up to the imagination, which is fun for me. I found this to be very clever of the author as it made me want to read the book.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I always look for books which have interesting covers to them, and this one was no exception. The silhouette design of the book grabbed my attention the most, and it serves it's purpose as well.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

The cover gives of a thriller vibe: dark, bold, and intriguing. I think it was suitable for the book.
Rowan The-First
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rowan-the-first.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Rowan The-First »

I think the cover does not tell much about the novel and I don't like it. The dark silhouette and the red color are not appealing to me. They are also not impressive to me.
What's the reason for your creation, Who really created you and why. Kind regards, That's Rowan of Islam. :?: :tiphat:
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

I think the book cover design somewhat aligns to the content. The silhouette figure of the character speaks what the story is all about. So yeah, the book cover design is good.
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

The cover is a very visual representation of the content within the book. The silhouette on the cover shows and represents a troubled John. I liked the red background color which screamed passion and aggression. The title of the book was also arranged to give a visual representation of the Zenith building which is the general theme of this book. I think the cover was suited for the book. Ok
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Now that I am familiar with the story, I find the cover of this book very fitting. The graphic designer did a good job in including all the important details of the story into the cover. However, the problem for me was that when I first saw this cover, I didn’t find it interesting at all. I don’t like the combination of black and red, and I definitely didn’t get any ideas of the content of this book. What I’m saying is that the book cover has an important role in marketing the story. If the cover starts to make sense only after reading the story, it doesn’t serve its purpose as an attention catcher. Maybe it is just me, but I would not have picked this book out if I’d only seen the cover somewhere 🤔
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”