Do words actually carry a big impact?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Book of the month, " Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Re: Do words actually carry a big impact?

Post by Goodness C N »

But of course, this is a perfect point. How do you express what you don't mean? Whatever you show to your patient, whether directly or indirectly is what they'd understand. So yeah, words mean a lot.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

Alexandur Gicov wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 01:29 That is quite eloquent, as it is correct from both points of view. The truth can always help, even if it is difficult, but on the other hand, in some cases, it can harm a person. Sometimes our inner desire to know is much stronger than us, even if it is better not to know. In my opinion, for some patients, you have to do your best and tell them the hard truth. Every coin has two sides, and one is always right but from a different point of view.
I completely agree with your comment about how coins have two sides, and I think this is something that everybody should remember whenever we encounter difficult situations. There is a quote that I feel perfectly summarize the impact of words and events in our lives, "You always have the choice to be happy. Learn to understand the purpose of bumps in the road, from from them and stay positive"
regentisbetter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regentisbetter.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by regentisbetter »

I feel that unnecessary harshness or bluntness San affect the mental state of the patient in question thus reducing his willingness to fight against the disease or ailment until he eventually loses. Gentle careful speech can be a hinge on the direction of the patients recovery .
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

Words have a very big impact on a patient. You can't just walk up to a patient and tell him/her that he/she is going to die no matter what happens. Even at a 90% probability for death, people still survive and it largely depends on the determination of the patient. You have to keep that determination and drive alive if not the battle is lost even before it begins.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

Words have more impact in the hospital than any other thing. For instance, if 20 people are told they are gonna die. Only 2 will live without being lackadaisical towards to life. The remaining 18 wouldn't bother about life. In as much we don't want to lie but there are better ways to tell say things
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

I think words and the way they are told have a huge impact on the patient. I can only speak from a patient's side and as such I guarantee that words matter a lot. I think doctors should be 100% honest with their patients but they should use comforting and reassuring voices and ways of speaking. It's just a humane and logical thing to do, doctors should sympathize and support their patients.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

In the situation the author describes, I think it is much better to keep the patient out of the know. Delivering bad news to a patient in a critical condition as described will dampen the patient's mood and give the patient less reason to fight. You have to be able to give the person a reason to fight, a reason to keep believing that he is going to make it if he keeps fighting albeit through lying to that patient.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

As all people react differently to news pertaining to their health, I think it is extremely important to let patients know what is going on and to be absolutely truthful. That being said, I also think we need to choose our words wisely. I am a big believer in “it’s not what you say , it’s how you say it” Words convey a different message to everyone. As long as we are delivering a message in the most respectful and well thought out tone, I think revealing the truth is the correct thing to choose
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

Words have power, and if they come from a person who is perceived to have power or information, they are even more impactful. So I agree it is important how a person is spoken to. Careless comments can be devastating. That does not mean they don't have a right to know, they should be given the facts in a compassionate manner. Yes words have power.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

While I agree that we should not lie to patients, and most people want to know the truth I don't think it is right for doctors to try and be fortune tellers telling people they will get better or not or how pong left they have to live.

This is all guesswork, and things often turn out differently to what they say.

It would be better to say that they will do their best but in cases similar to this...the outcome was... Or something that provides an element of hope bit not a real promise.

There are many people who were told they have months to lives and years later they are still here. It's upsetting to hear that.

When a woman used to know told me that her doctor said she would never get better from depression I felt upset for her.

I could see this made her anxious and more depressed. She asked if I agreed but I told her that she can get better hopefully. I did see her improving too.

I wondered at the time why should we go to doctors if they will tell us we wont get better. It would be better not yo know and not to go and see them.

And in other cases, such as my sister, she was told by a doctor she would not have more children because she had a thyroid problem. We was 35 and had one son.

She rang my mother crying and asking if she could have money for IVF. Straight after this she found herself pregnant naturally with her second child.

Therefore, I wish doctors would stop upsetting people thinking that they are helping by saying they will never get better.

It would be better to merely say they don't know the outcome but they will do their best - and really do so
Christine Joy G 1
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-joy-g-1.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Christine Joy G 1 »

It is necessary for a patient to know the truth about her/his condition however, timing is a very important matter on this one. The truth might worsen her condition if the doctor told it in an uncautious and irreposnible way.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

"Watch your spoken and body language. Reassure without patronizing, and let nothing that you say or do cause him increased distress."

Nowhere in this quote does it say not to tell the patient the truth. However, having worked in an Army ER during emergency situations, I was taught to go by "The three T's" when sharing information with a patient. "Timing," "Tone," and "Tactfulness" All three of these are vital, and two of them are covered in the above quote. Bluntly telling a patient, "Sorry buddy, but you're done for. It's hopeless. You're going to die, and there's nothing anyone can do about it." (or something of that nature) is, very obviously, a horrible idea at any time, in any case. You can reassure someone without lying to them. I agree with "let nothing you say or do cause him/her increased distress." If you have to deliver bad news, do it calmly, tactfully, and gently.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

I have been in the emergency room before in my life, and I understand the impact of the words spoken to me by the nurse. She was quite inconsiderate and unfriendly with words. My healing took time because what she said caused me so much distress. Truly, words have impact on a man's emotions.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

What you say to a patient contributes to his healing and also adds to his distress. Our human souls, which contain emotions are prone to words if you say the right thing to a hurting patient, the tendency of survival increases.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I think patients deserve to know the truth no matter how hard and painful it may be. They have the right to know so they can decide for themselves how to further handle the situation. But the doctor should always try to approach the matter in a very delicate way to avoid panic.

Return to “Discuss the "Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey”