Do words actually carry a big impact?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Book of the month, " Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: Do words actually carry a big impact?

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Saying positive things to a patient does not mean being impracticable or giving false hope. Sincerity is still a treasure in the medical field. But the point is finding a positive way of saying the negative inevitable. Words have impact, as they can create longevity.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

A huge part of recovery from an illness is mental. If your doctor is pessimistic about your outcome you will likely give up fighting. Of course, some illnesses are terminal, but patients can live longer if they have some hope from their doctors.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Talking to a patient revolves around knowing how to address his situation. How to talk to him is as important as what is being said. This is why professional training in the medical field is very important and crucial because you are trained on how to affect a patient with words. Do not hide necessary information from a patient, but ensure that such information is uncovered carefully.
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

I do agree with the author that we should assure the patient about his situation rather telling the actual truth and make him even more critical. Its logical to lie at the beginning and say the truth later when the patient ha stabalised.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

In my experience, I haven’t come across any medical practitioner who lies. Compassion and empathy is a huge part of their training and that is the advice which the book gives. You do have to choose your words carefully because the patient is going through a roller coaster of emotions, the inner turmoil and trying to keep a brave face is difficult so one must tread carefully around them as one wrong word can set off a domino effect. Lying is not encouraged but giving the truth empathically and in episodes is a good advice.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Now this is a tricky one. According to normal practice, at least what I've been exposed to thus far, honesty is the best policy. Just do it blatantly. On the contrary, in some cases, caution and empathy ought to be applied, in my opinion. Patients ail differently and at different levels. I propose that words be chosen carefully, as the author suggests.
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

The actual situation should be kept away from the patient if it's a critical situation. Creating optimism in the mind of the patient helps him heal faster. We should be more after his recovery than telling the truth because a lot of patients may not be able to handle the truth in that situation.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I think it is very important. You need to be honest with your words and body language needs to match. If they are not on matching you are giving the person mixed messages. This coupled with an already potential stressful situation can cause many various problems.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Sometimes the only thing keeping a person alive, is the belief that they will make it. It is of utmost importance to remember this because if you take that away, you will be the direct cause of death. Words shape beliefs, beliefs shape reality. The placebo effect is well known and documented.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Post by Fola Moni »

I agree with the author. Telling the patient the truth is vital because everyone should know their health status. I believe the way that truth is conveyed is the key factor. The right approach and words can never be underestimated.

I also believe that proffering solutions no matter how insignificant can also help. This could be offering them emotional support or even alternate therapies. Anything that can give hope (but not false hope) especially in cases of terminal illnesses can go a long way.
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

Surprisingly, there are numerous interpretations of this thought-provoking discourse. However, in my opinion, speaking the truth is crucial, especially if the patient is already in critical state. Despite the unrelenting circumstance, medical practitioners still have a responsibility to give them hope and encourage them to think healthier. In the event of such occurrences, integrity and candor remain the most viable options.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Sushan wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 00:06
Watch your spoken and body language. Reassure without patronizing, and let nothing that you say or do cause him increased distress.
(Location 944 - Kindle version)

The author says to be careful about what you say when you manage a patient, despite his/her actual condition. Causing panic in the patient can be a disadvantage, I agree, but at the same time I think it is important for the patient to know the truth.

What do you think? Should we keep the patient blind just to avoid him/her getting panicked, or should we reveal the truth no matter how hard it is? Do words have an actual impact on the outcome of the patient?
Yes, words have an impact on a patient, but as a retired nurse, I believe the patient has the right to know what is going on with them. The information can be given gently but honestly. A nurse needs to inform the patient when the nurse has time to stay with them for a while. You should be especially careful with someone who is unconscious, or in a coma. It is unknown if that type of patient can hear you or not. That would not be the time to tell them what is actually going on!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

Since this book is for those who want to be prepared when going off-grid or no-grid, you're already in maybe a panic situation. There's a difference between being able to say, "This is gonna hurt." and "You're bleeding so much you will definitely die." Words do carry a big impact and I would be in favor of keeping the person calm so I would not tell them the entire truth if it meant creating more panic.
-Amy
raj_nandani_poet
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raj-nandani-poet.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by raj_nandani_poet »

In my opinion, this is a debatable and contextual question. It sure is a common knowledge that words make or break people, but hiding the truth might not be exactly the right thing to do.

Let me explain, if there is no positive growth but the doctors encourage the patient by telling that they are getting better, maybe that would have a positive impact on the overall condition of the patient. But if they have some serious illness with inevitable death as the end result, they should be made aware of the condition in full truthfulness. They might be assured that they might have a chance at survival (if there is some) but it shouldn't be hidden from them.

All these are my opinion and I am no medical professional, so if you feel like this is some wrong information, please correct me.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

I think telling a patient truth is so important but timing is also equally important. Some truths should be reserved for certain appointed time; you know what panic can cause. So, I think the author is right here. Words also kill.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison

Return to “Discuss the "Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey”