surprise with the book-possible spoilers

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
akumferman
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akumferman.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Icon surprise with the book-possible spoilers

Post by akumferman »

-possible spoiler
Did anyone else find it surprising that in Chameleons it wasn't just about romance? I thought the book was gonna just be about some love triangle with heated sex scenes. It definitely took me to a place I didn't expect with the plot of not just romance but of murders and who the killer was. Does anyone else go back and forth between being mad at Zia for sleeping with Baxton or is it just me? :?: :techie-studyingbrown:
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

It is written in the official review that this book has scenes of romance, suspense, thriller and even murder but I wasn't expecting that there would be so much of it. I thought there would be minor mysteries and romance as major aspect of the story. But yeah I too get this sort of spoiler as you did and definitely I didn't like zia sleeping with Baxton.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
akumferman
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akumferman.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by akumferman »

Muskan Upadhyaya wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 00:06 It is written in the official review that this book has scenes of romance, suspense, thriller and even murder but I wasn't expecting that there would be so much of it. I thought there would be minor mysteries and romance as major aspect of the story. But yeah I too get this sort of spoiler as you did and definitely I didn't like zia sleeping with Baxton.
I am so glad I'm not the only one who wasn't happy with her sleeping with Baxton and the fact that yeah, there was a lot more mystery than I thought there would be. It made it that much better in my opinion. Not just about all sex.
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

I wasn't happy at all that she slept with Baxter. I love that this book combined mystery and romance, making each feature largely in the storyline.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I thought Chameleons was going to be about this professional businesswoman who gets caught up in this love triangle and her having to choose the right man for her. The murder aspect just brought some spice to the story and then how it involved her best friend/co-worker is crazy. Honestly, I wasn't mad with Zia for sleeping with Baxter, because she was not in a sexual relationship with Bryce. I felt that if Bryce was open to Zia about him wanting her in the way that Baxter did, then she would have not gotten involved with a serial killer.
Akshobhya B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshobhya-b.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Akshobhya B »

I'm not interested in "romance" novels and wasn't expecting much from Chameleons but it surprised me. It's a genre-bending story with themes of mystery, murder, erotica and romance. I liked that Zia had sex with another person because her partner refused her. I found it refreshing. Male protagonists usually do it so why not women?
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

That was one of the things I did like about this book. Why be boring with a sex/love triangle? Throw in the mind of a killer. It definitely made the story much more interesting for me.
-Amy
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

When I read the book contained possible murders, I did not expect too much of it. I wanted the book to be an erotica with heated sexual scenes. Be that as it may, the romance bit of the work was great. And yes, I was mad that Zia slept with Baxton. I felt a rage inside me when I encountered both them together.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

I expected romance and love issues to be the themes that explored in this book but I was thrilled to find some mystery, racial issues, including a murder in the book.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Namuddu Erin
Favorite Author: Pen Patience lovely
Favorite Book: God’s Victorious Army
Currently Reading: Cracker Jacked
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 224334

Post by Namuddu Erin »

I agree with the authors who referred that the book is combined of; romance, mystery, racial issues plus murder.
To my surprise, she slept with Baxter, because she was not in sexual relationship with Bryce.
Oye Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oye-timothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Oye Timothy »

Actually, when I saw the book is a mixture of romance, suspense and thriller. I foresaw it that the main character, Zia, would be having an affair with a character that evokes suspense and, of course, the killing, Baxton.
Ana C Barrantes
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-c-barrantes.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ana C Barrantes »

Yeah, I was surprised but how much suspense and mystery there is in the book. I was expecting just romance. But it added depth to the story, and I really liked that.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I was so disappointed with Zia for sleeping with Baxter. I feel like instead she should have had a talk with her partner. But I loved the combination of romance and murder. I’m a huge fan of horror/ thriller but I also enjoy romance. So getting to see both wrapped into one story was nice for me.
MysticSpade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysticspade.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by MysticSpade »

I actually did find it quite surprising at the amount of mystery in this novel. The cover is a dead giveaway that it's erotic fiction so I wasn't expecting the amount of suspense that was included. Great point!
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

I was really surprised by that fact. I, like you, also assumed this book was going to be just about romances and romantic affairs, so the idea of serial killings took me by surprise. However, I have to say in the end it was definitely worth the read. I enjoyed both the romantic aspect and the thriller. It was a great book to read.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”