Zia Lennox, is she a sexaholic?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Zia Lennox, is she a sexaholic?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Lunastella wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 19:38 Even psychologist and psychiatrists are having trouble defining what sex addiction is, or if it's even a real thing. Although in a patriarchal society it is not often talked about, a woman with high libido, such as Zia, is not that rare.
Maybe patriarchal societies do not talk about that topic, but what such a society will call a woman like Zia who went to other men to satisfy her sexual needa when she already had a lover? Definitely either a prostitute or a lunatic. Defining such a person as a sex-addict will atleast keep her dignity. Having a high llibido is not a wrong thing. What made Zia wrong, and led her to suffering were her decisions and actions that she did to satisfy her libido.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Fae Liesl Enchantee wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 03:10 I wouldn't say sexaholic. I think Zia is just living adventurously. Which is the first time ever I've read where a woman is so confident in her sexcapades
Maybe the author wanted to highlight a bit of female empowerment. As in a patriarchal society only men are such confident and adventurous when it come to satisfying their needs, this seems odd when a female acts in the same manner. But with whatever the background or whatever the motives a wrong doing remains a wrong doing despite the gender of its performer. Maybe Zia was confident and adventurous, but going to Baxter just to sleep with him was wrong. Maybe she was not addicted to it. But she could ignore her lover and continously engage in sex with Baxter despite all the risks and all the clues that showed her the true nature of him.
Sushan Ekanayake

_Maduike wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 05:03 I don't think Zia is a sexaholic. She has a high sex drive which is normal for many women and she expresses it through her sexual encounters with her lovers. Although, her passions blinded her to the true characters of her lovers, she is not a sexaholic.
She had a high libido and one man was not enough for her to satisfy them. Not seeing the true nature of her lovers does not make her a sexaholic, but the cause for that was she being blinded by the lust to see through and see their true natures. She simply craved for sex and she stayed where she could satisfy her needs. So her main drive was nothing else but sex. Isn't that enough to call her a sexaholic?
Oye Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oye-timothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Oye Timothy »

I'm Ambivert. I'm antisocial and I love sex too. Does it make me sexaholic? No.

I think Zia is just someone who very much enthrust herself in the pleasure of sex to distract herself from work stress.
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Elon Gathungu »

I think sexaholic is not an appropriate description of Zia. I think she is aware of her needs and not afraid to indulge herself. Additionally, focusing on the physical helps to cope with anxiety disorder. Physical expression is tangible. So focusing on the physical aspect of her relations may have reduces the stress and anxiety that comes with trying to understand and uncover a person's secrets, intentions, and character.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Sushan wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 16:48
Lunastella wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 19:38 Even psychologist and psychiatrists are having trouble defining what sex addiction is, or if it's even a real thing. Although in a patriarchal society it is not often talked about, a woman with high libido, such as Zia, is not that rare.
Maybe patriarchal societies do not talk about that topic, but what such a society will call a woman like Zia who went to other men to satisfy her sexual needa when she already had a lover? Definitely either a prostitute or a lunatic. Defining such a person as a sex-addict will atleast keep her dignity. Having a high llibido is not a wrong thing. What made Zia wrong, and led her to suffering were her decisions and actions that she did to satisfy her libido.
I admit she is in the wrong. What I don't like is using mental illness as an excuse for a moral flaw (being unfaithful). Because some people truly struggle with all sorts of mental problems and it discredits their suffering to attribute a moral flaw to a highly questionable mental disorder, even if it helps her keep her dignity.
Sushan Ekanayake

Laurina_Olowo wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 11:49 Sexaholic may not be the right word really. There a women with high libido and I think Zia is one of them. Though I don't believe in being that loose about sex though.
Having a high libido and being sexually irresponsible are two things. Though her libido was high her confidence seems not so. She could not reveal her thoughts to Bryce. So she found someone who she can ease up to, and that was Baxter, and she ended up sleeping with him. And she simply let her to be entangled in a love triangle just because she needed to satisfy her bodily needs. This makes her more than just a woman with high libido.
Sushan Ekanayake

Katie Blackmore wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 06:16 I think sexaholic is a bit of a strong word to call Zia. Think she is just very confident and knows what she wants and is not afraid of going after it. I think she has a high libido and isn't ashamed of it. I think it is good for women to know what they want and not be ashamed of it.
Knowing what one needs and going after that confidently is a good thing. But we have to consider the social circumstances and have to be bound by the legal and ethical laws. Zia went after her needs breaking many ethical values, and that is why she was ended up in the love triangle, and ultimately had to come back to Bryce and beg for his forgiveness. If she found the correct way to fulfill her needs she won't end up like that.
Sushan Ekanayake

Sara chhawniwala wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 08:34 Overall, zia's character is weak. She seems like an oblivious fool. She does seem like a sexoholic too. Her desires overpower her ability to know right or wrong.
That is correct. Her motives are driven by her lust. She could not control herself when her body started reacting towards Bryce when such a reaction was unnecessary at all. But later when he refused to have sex with her, she was oblivious to him valuing her more than a mere sex toy. She got it as rejection and went to Baxter. When he gave what she needed she was satisfied and was oblivious to his true nature and what happened around her. Yes, she was a weak character, a fool, and a sexaholic too.
Sushan Ekanayake

Mounce574 wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 20:02 I don't think she was but I think she thought love involved sex. Her love for Baxter rested mostly on the physical act whereas Bryce was on an emotional connection.
Maybe she confused love and sex. But we clearly see how she craved for sex. Maybe her mind was somewhere else, but the body took full control and got aroused quite easily in many occasions. Either her mind was weak to give in in each and every such occasions, or she really was a sexaholic that she was addicted to sex and with no will power she could restrain herself. I don't say she had the strongest mind. But at most occasions she just gave her body willingly and in return she was pleased with the experience, and that is why I name her as a sexaholic.
Peace Chux
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-chux.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Peace Chux »

Zia seemed oblivious to those things because of the deficit in her social and personal life. Her sexual life however was not the case. While calling her sexaholic is a tad too far, I would say instead that she had a really active sexual life and is not afraid to go after what she wants.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Sushan wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 19:13
Mounce574 wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 20:02 I don't think she was but I think she thought love involved sex. Her love for Baxter rested mostly on the physical act whereas Bryce was on an emotional connection.
Maybe she confused love and sex. But we clearly see how she craved for sex. Maybe her mind was somewhere else, but the body took full control and got aroused quite easily in many occasions. Either her mind was weak to give in in each and every such occasions, or she really was a sexaholic that she was addicted to sex and with no will power she could restrain herself. I don't say she had the strongest mind. But at most occasions she just gave her body willingly and in return she was pleased with the experience, and that is why I name her as a sexaholic.
I think she had poor morals. I would think a sexaholic would seek more men than just Baxter. She does tend to teeter close to the line with being promiscuous. In both first dates she agreed to go back to each man's place without hesitating so I can understand your reasoning.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Sushan Ekanayake

Shannon Ruane wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 00:36
Arimart99 wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 01:55
BookBoyP wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 00:47 I would not go as far as using the word sexaholic. With women with high libido, once they are attracted to someone, they let their wild side out. The author was able to capture this fact perfectly in this book.
I agree fully that the word sexaholic is not the proper word to describe Zia. I would also add that I suffer from social anxiety and I saw much of myself in Zia, so I think she most likely suffers from it too.
Hi! I agree, sexaholic is too strong of a word. She learns that she enjoys sex quite deeply (when she is spoiled by millionaires). Would it sound odd if I said intercourse (when treated kindly) decreased Zia's social anxiety?
When her extremely high sexual desires are fulfilled, is she less anxious?

I would have thought she would be too anxious to even think about having sex with her (future) husband on their first date, but she opens up and he declines. By the end, I see his logic but at first, I was quite surprised. That did not make her feel good, but it was not life-destroying like she makes anxiety seem at the beginning. Did getting a date itself cause her to feel good?

Bax really pushed Zia to the limit between his preferences for sex and treatment of her. Sex, in general, might not be anxiety-inducing but his methods which seemed BDSM (although the word is never used) would be a logical anxiety cause. But instead of anxiety (before finding out he is the murderer), she opens up to a phone/email, then a physical relationship. Most people, whether they suffer anxiety or not would be hesitant to mix personal/professional relationships, and even less would cheat on their significant other.

There is a sequel called Ravenous Snakes. I know you can find and purchase the book online but I was wondering if that is on this website? I can not find a search bar that directly allows you to type the name of a book and see if it is in the database for review or not?

If someone could post a link to the sequel ( Ravenous Snakes ) on this website I would greatly appreciate it. (If it is not listed for review on this website I understand).

It would be interesting to see the psychological effects of the previous book's events on Zia and her friends. There is a jump skip to a happily ever after for those alive but we do not know what happened between. Being filled in on the details briefly and then introducing a new plot would be ideal.
What I see is a poor connection between Zia's sexual desires and actions, and her anxiety disorder. Either the author has not cared about her anxiety disorder when it came to her high libido. Or he had totally forgotten it and only developed a erotic story. Otherwise how sex becomes so easy for a person like she who could not even make friends in her day to day working environment? This is totally incoherent.
Sushan Ekanayake

Clifford Munene wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 11:14 I don't believe Zia is a sexaholic. That description is very strong. I'd rather believe she has more often than normal. Then again I try to understand her due to her previous lifestyle
Having it more often too can make one a sexaholic. But I did not call Zia that, depending on that. She opened up to Bryce for sex but he refused. Then she just turned towards Baxter who she only knew through emails. And she easily fell for him sexually and even allowed him to push her to the BDSM level. And she simply went to meet Baxter just for sex. Doesn't that make her a sexaholic?
Sushan Ekanayake

Raquel Sojo wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 01:25 This is a good topic. Analyzing the context, I don't think Zia is simply a "sexaholic" If you look closely at the character's background, she has a non-existent social life, a questionable personal life, and suffers from an anxiety disorder. These factors added together indicate to me that having sex frequently is probably her outlet. Sex is something that helps her focus on the moment, and she enjoys it.
That can be taken as a possibility. But can it be practically applied? We see how she is socially anxious. She cannot tolerate strangers or develop new connections. Such a person being sexually open to strangers is quite incoherent. Bryce being her lover it is okay when she opens up to him. But how she could easily turn towards Baxter, who she has never met but only spoken via emails?

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”