Official Review: And We Never Met A Nazi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: And We Never Met A Nazi

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "And We Never Met A Nazi" by Rose Tuchmann, Oscar Bing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In 1947, shortly after Germany lost WWII, America took occupation of all German territories. At this time, Dorothy and Eric Stillman were celebrating their honeymoon. As Jewish newlyweds, they were none too pleased to be informed that Eric was to return to the American army only to be stationed in post-war Nazi Germany. As his dependent, Dorothy was to join him there shortly after he arrived.

Dorothy retells her story from when she embarked for Germany, up until the point that she and her husband were to return to the United States. She divulges secrets about her neighbours, she paints a picture of the devastation caused by war, and mostly, she simply speaks of the life of an army wife during the two years of their stay.

And we Never Met a Nazi was written by Rose Tuchmann. The events in this book are experiences that she went through when her husband, Ernst, served in the Army of Occupation. The book is a gossipy version of happenings among the people that were stationed in Germany during that time. Upon her death, her nephew found this manuscript and retyped it for publishing purposes.

The thing that makes this story most appealing is its authenticity. Even though the names have been changed, the incidents that occurred were real. The story was written during that time, and because of this, nothing was censored as it may have been if written today. Germans that had occupations before the war became maids and servants after the war. The Germans were considered inferior and were treated as such. Even though this made me feel slightly uncomfortable at times, it added to the legitimacy of the story. It was just what happened.

The book's lack of editing lets it down. I started reading this book with an open mind regarding grammar, knowing that the author had written it many years ago. However, I doubt that the book was even proofread. Missing spaces between words, line breaks mid-sentence, and general spelling errors throughout could have been quite easily rectified by a proofread. The errors aren’t debilitating, they are just copious.

Rose Tuchmann had a knack for storytelling. I can imagine how enjoyable it would have been to read this book as one of her family members. Although simple, her anecdotes were very entertaining and had qualities reminiscent of a soap opera. As someone that didn’t know her, I was just as intrigued as to what would happen next. It was a genuinely fun read, and during that time, I can’t imagine anything being considered ‘fun’.

Because of the errors, I am prevented from rating this book any more than 3 out of 4 stars. It was a quick read that I would recommend to people that enjoy books about WWII. This is a bit of a different angle as it was post-war - but just as enjoyable. The title gives the hint that, while in Germany, Dorothy and her husband met many local people, all of whom were very vocal about the fact that they were not Nazis. The abhorrent things that the party did were actions that most local people didn’t want to be associated with. But Dorothy, in her wisdom, was able to determine the good eggs from the bad. She was truly quite a character.

And We Never Met A Nazi
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like an interesting story. It's a shame about the lack of editing. As always, thanks for your excellent review.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

It would be something to hear the WWII story straight from the horse's mouth. Dorothy seems like such a storyteller. She seems like the kind that wouldn't dare leave out juicy details. Kudos for such a brilliant review.
shereads shereads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shereads shereads »

Wow, sounds interesting. I’m a sucker for WWII stories so I will check this out. Hopefully the author decides to do some more editing.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

It's definitely refreshing to see a book about Post-War Germany, as most titles I seem to find are mostly Holocaust-era books. I would definitely want to read a WWII period book that is not focused entirely on the radical atrocities of the Nazi. It seems like an interesting read. Thanks for the informative review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Hardy evangelista 23
Currently Reading: Karma in Action
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Hardy evangelista 23 »

World war II is a mankind mistake but maybe we nees that mistake to learn from it. Sometimes human is horrible and cruel but we are also kind and loving beside that makes human otherwise. The war and love is a very good combination. Specially all point of view are in the side of ally. Outside the box thinking.
brainwillwrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by brainwillwrites »

An interesting read. An account of post-war Germany.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cecilia_L wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 14:47 This sounds like an interesting story. It's a shame about the lack of editing. As always, thanks for your excellent review.
Thanks, Cecilia :) It was certainly interesting!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

DogoMulla wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 16:59 It would be something to hear the WWII story straight from the horse's mouth. Dorothy seems like such a storyteller. She seems like the kind that wouldn't dare leave out juicy details. Kudos for such a brilliant review.
She was very good at including all the saucy info :) It was a really fun read!
Thanks for stopping by.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm definitely interested in what life was like after the war in Germany. How did everything go back to "normal"? This book would be quite informative I'm sure. It's too bad about the errors, but it still sounds worth picking up. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

shereads shereads wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 20:58 Wow, sounds interesting. I’m a sucker for WWII stories so I will check this out. Hopefully the author decides to do some more editing.
I hope he does :) It's worth the read.
Thanks for stopping by!
- Dr. Seuss
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

What an assignment for an American Jewish army couple. It sounds like an entertaining way to learn about a difficult period. I hope the author cleans up the errors. A beautiful review, Bianka.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 03:24 It's definitely refreshing to see a book about Post-War Germany, as most titles I seem to find are mostly Holocaust-era books. I would definitely want to read a WWII period book that is not focused entirely on the radical atrocities of the Nazi. It seems like an interesting read. Thanks for the informative review!
Absolutely. And the holocaust books are quite heavy, whereas this one is a light-hearted read.
Thank you for your comments :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Hardy evangelista 23 wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 03:36 World war II is a mankind mistake but maybe we nees that mistake to learn from it. Sometimes human is horrible and cruel but we are also kind and loving beside that makes human otherwise. The war and love is a very good combination. Specially all point of view are in the side of ally. Outside the box thinking.
Yes, it was definitely something which I hope we will never repeat :)
Thanks for the comment!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

brainwillwrites wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 06:11 An interesting read. An account of post-war Germany.
Thanks for stopping by :)
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”