Official Review: Civilisation Hijacked by Albert Morris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Civilisation Hijacked by Albert Morris

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Civilisation Hijacked" by Albert Morris.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Civilisation Hijacked by Albert Morris is a book that attempts to lampoon the greatest evils of modern times, in addition to providing ways that humanity can collectively overcome them. In general, it succeeds at this first point, with an extensive list of decisions made on the parts of companies, governments, and media outlets that do great harm. This part of the book was strikingly similar to opinions that appear to be held by many millennials, who are starting to see the shortcomings of an extensively capitalist system.

However, the solutions Morris proposes are somewhat weak. They mostly boil down to discussions of education that closely mimic other sources, such as praising the Montessori Method of education, and this part of the book felt much less thorough and researched than the evaluation of society's problems. This is especially a problem due to the book's tagline, "Rescuing Jesus from Christianity and the Human Spirit from Bondage," suggests that a discussion of solutions will make up much more of the book than it does.

Speaking of Christianity, the author denounces organized religion entirely, often stopping just short of calling it outright lies and propaganda. While I'm not a part of any organized religion myself, in my opinion, this viewpoint is incredibly short-sighted and fails to take into account the good that many people do in the name of religion. While religion has undoubtedly been the root of many societal ills, I still can't help but feel that the author's viewpoint completely ignores some very important nuances.

The book is also organized in a way that makes it hard to follow. Morris opens with an extended summary of the book's contents, and the rest of the text consists of a collection of essays of varying lengths that focus on the topics he outlined at the start. This made reading feel somewhat directionless, and the writing at times seems to be stream-of-consciousness. It seems like it would've been more effective to pair specific issues with their proposed solutions.

Ultimately, Morris takes a well-researched and thorough look at the problems plaguing our modern society, but this is severely hampered by its lack of depth in discussing issues like religion and education, as well as its confusing layout. Therefore, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. There were also a significant number of grammatical errors, mostly pertaining to comma and hyphen usage, as well as capitalization. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to examine the major issues with our current capitalist society, so long as they can overlook the shortcomings I mentioned earlier.

Civilisation Hijacked
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thank you for your enlightening review of this book. I've always thought education is important. However, along with the knowledge acquired through education, people also need wisdom to know how to use that knowledge. It seems like this book does not bridge that gap. Great analysis of the book!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have no doubt that decisions are being made that aren't for anyone's benefit but perhaps those that own these companies. However, I'm not sure this book really makes a difference in any of its proposed answers. Thanks for the review, but I'm going to pass.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

ViziVoir wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 03:53 Speaking of Christianity, the author denounces organized religion entirely, often stopping just short of calling it outright lies and propaganda. While I'm not a part of any organized religion myself, in my opinion, this viewpoint is incredibly short-sighted and fails to take into account the good that many people do in the name of religion. While religion has undoubtedly been the root of many societal ills, I still can't help but feel that the author's viewpoint completely ignores some very important nuances.
I can't like this comment enough! If the author aims to make the world a better place, speaking poorly of the largest group of people who would otherwise be willing to help this movement is most likely not the best route to take.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
linham02660
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by linham02660 »

Greed is the downfall to all civilizations. It is too bad the author did not delve more into the solutions. I agree education should be much more individualized and much less conforming but in saying that we MUST do much more accurate teaching of world history. Thanks for your review. I will pass on the book.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Thanks for this insightful review. It sounds like this book does not offer much beyond an assessment of issues facing the world today that many might agree with. Education is essential, but I'm not sure Montessori will cure all that ails us. :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I remember seeing this book in my selections and thinking it looked intriguing. It's too bad it had some problems with the essays falling apart somewhat. I think it is sometimes difficult to review a book with a religious theme. I just reviewed such a book and was a bit challenged by the review process. Great job on this one!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
jlrinc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlrinc.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jlrinc »

I agree with you about the silliness of disparaging all of eeligion for the acts of the past without ackniwledging it has often been the spur to greater good.This is a problem with a lot of atheists these days.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”