Official Review: Five Pieces of Solace

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Five Pieces of Solace

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Five Pieces of Solace" by Alexander Cristini.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Psychedelic, Philosophy, Plumbing, Prophecy, and Peacemaker are the four topics discussed in detail by Alexander Cristini in his book, Five Pieces of Solace. The book explores Cristini’s spiritual and social awareness journey. As a youth growing up in the nineties, the author was heavily influenced by the music of the time. Like his peers, he was curious to experiment and push boundaries. However, his childhood years were not always easy. He suffered from social stigma due to his ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). In this unique book, Cristini recounts those defining moments and explores various historical characters’ lives and events as well.

One of the aspects of the book that stands out is the organization and definition of the building concepts from which the content is derived from. The topics are clearly marked and each is explored in depth. At the beginning of each chapter, a definition is provided which further enhances the understanding of the content. Within the sections, the use of rhetorical questions is frequent. The questions helped in drawing me into the conversation and allowed me to think of the answers and draw my conclusions before actually reading the author’s opinion.

Another great feature of the book is the author’s inclusion of his own experiences both in his childhood and adult life. He narrates these episodes while marking the events that had an impact on anyone growing up in this decade. In general, the book explores the events of the nineties that shaped the childhood years of those born in this generation. Historical characters are included, mostly religious and philosophical figures who have remained notable characters. This additional information further educates and helps in reflecting upon the past. The images of these characters at the end of the book are helpful too.

Even though the book does not support drug abuse, it explores the discussion of using drugs for the purpose of enlightenment. This to me is alarming. The possibility of the use of addictive drugs for whatever purpose except medical has been proven to be dangerous keeping in mind our consumerism-driven society that appears to always want more. Given the information included in the book concerning psychedelic drugs, the support of the content using data and other sources would have been useful. The absence of supporting resources makes the arguments and the information in the book weak.

The fundamental concepts of the book do not also blend together. When read individually, they have useful discussion points but when put together they do not communicate a clear message.

Five Pieces of Solace by Alexander Cristini is well-edited. I only identified one grammatical error. It is a great read for readers who are interested in spirituality and history. Readers who do not enjoy books that discuss these topics may not enjoy the book. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Five Pieces of Solace
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

This is an intriguing book. I love nineties songs so I am very much interested. I also agree with your opinion regarding the use of drugs, however the author may have felt the need to share that episode of his life because ot was a vital point that happened on his life. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

The experiences we go through in our past, especially our childhood, in one way or another always has an impact in what we become. It's great that Alexander decided to share his. Interesting review there.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The personal experiences supported by historical figures sounds interesting. I agree with your comments about using drugs for enlightenment. Great review. Thanks.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am curious about what type of specific music influenced the author. Music can have such an effect on a person, both positive and negative.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think this sounds a bit too out there for me. That and the concept of using drugs for enlightenment turns me off. I'm glad you were able to find some pieces of wisdom, bit I'll pass.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”