Official Review: Tunnel Vision, a focused life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Tunnel Vision, a focused life

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tunnel Vision, a focused life" by Jan Attard.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tunnel Vision, A Focused Life is a non-fiction book by Jan Attard. It describes the challenges faced by the author when the custody of her four children was granted to their father, an abusive and arrogant man. The author shares snippets of her life story as she attempts to rebuild her life and regain custody. Her secret lies in developing tunnel vision, which is both a coping mechanism in the face of life’s trials and a focused system for pursuing one’s goals. Attard perfectly describes the way she pursues her goals and recreates her outlook on life because of this. Her book also includes advice on a wide range of subjects including parenting, finance, and goal setting.

What I liked most about this book was the author’s fearlessness in sharing her story. She did not censor her feelings and thoughts when she described the hurtful experiences in her life. She also gave adequate information surrounding her history and her ex-husband’s history. This helped me to get a better understanding of their personalities and why they behaved the way they did. For instance, her ex-husband came from a culture where women were expected to obey their husbands in every way possible. This led him to exert control in all areas of her life, even discouraging her from accessing pain medication during her pregnancies.

I also appreciated the practical advice Attard provided. She encouraged readers to take life one day at a time when faced with adversity. Journaling, gardening, and caring for others helped her to find new purpose in her life so she willingly inspired readers to do the same. She also advised readers to cherish every moment, take the time to appreciate nature, and find the good things in each day.

Unfortunately, the repetitiveness of some things in the book was off-putting. For example, Attard blamed the family court system several times for granting custody of her children to her ex-husband. She also repeatedly mentioned her son’s lowest point where she found him curled in the corner of his room.

Moreover, I did not like the layout of the book. Attard’s anecdotes, advice, and the application of the tunnel vision system were all rolled into tight chunks of text. The only segmentation was in the form of chapters. This made the book difficult to read. It would have been better if the text was interspersed with subtitles, lists, and images. A clear, step-by-step approach of the tunnel vision system would have also been a nice addition instead of having fragments of it scattered throughout the book.

There were very few errors in this book. These were mainly typos and comma splices which did not ruin my reading experience. Attard’s bravery in sharing her story and the practical advice she gave were the best features of the book. However, the repetitiveness and the book’s poor layout diminished my enjoyment of it. Therefore, I am awarding this book 2 out of 4 stars. I think it will appeal most to women who are going through custody battles, domestic abuse, and divorce. People who are not facing these challenges may not enjoy this book because Attard’s life story will not be relatable to them.

Tunnel Vision, a focused life
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Attard is a very strong woman! Seeing her son curled up in the corner of his room must have been one of many traumatic moments for her. Maybe this is why she mentions it so many times throughout her book. I wonder if this is the very moment that encouraged her to do something to make life better.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book touches on some strong emotional themes. I am glad the author included both her and her husband's backgrounds, to help readers understand the outcome of the court case. I am interested in knowing more about how she overcame this unbelievable emotional pain. Great review. Thanks!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It definitely seems that sometimes the courts are against the parent who is the stable parent. I've seen that happen more than once in real life. The children are the victims and it is sad. I appreciate the author telling her story, and I hope it helps others in a similar situation. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is an intriguing review. The book sounds informative. I like how the author began a path to regain custody of her children again. Sad to see how the upbringing of her husband eventually saw them separating. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

The cover caught my attention because it looks so peaceful along with the title. After reading your great review, it sounds like a book I could relate to, but have no interest in reading. Thanks!

:techie-studyinggray:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I also appreciated the practical advice Attard provided. She encouraged readers to take life one day at a time when faced with adversity. Journaling, gardening, and caring for others helped her to find new purpose in her life so she willingly inspired readers to do the same. She also advised readers to cherish every moment, take the time to appreciate nature, and find the good things in each day.

Unfortunately, the repetitiveness of some things in the book was off-putting. For example, Attard blamed the family court system several times for granting custody of her children to her ex-husband. She also repeatedly mentioned her son’s lowest point where she found him curled in the corner of his room.
After raising three children as a single parent, my heart went out to the author when I read your description of the book. I think I would enjoy and dislike the same issues you mentioned. Thanks for the thought-provoking review. :tiphat:
clancy8
Currently Reading: Toward Happier Choices
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clancy8.html
Latest Review: A Loaf Of Bread by Rana Bitar

Post by clancy8 »

The book cover drew my attention; but after your wonderful review i lost interest on the book.
Not just my kind.
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

I have a hard time imagining how tunnel vision could actually be a good thing. I feel like I lived the first 40 years of my life with tunnel vision, and while it helped me achieve my goals and dreams, it didn't necessarily guide me on what kind of goals and dreams to have. After my divorce, I feel like I really came to life, so I think I could relate to Jan on some levels. Thanks for the candid review. I think regardless of the flaws, it is a book I'd like to read.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”