Official Review: Love, Care and Share by Tom Herstad

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Love, Care and Share by Tom Herstad

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love, Care and Share" by Tom Herstad.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love, Care and Share – A Message for All of Us is a written tribute to Mary Margaret (also known as Margie), a phenomenal woman who lived a life of service to others. Her generosity, kindness, and love shine through all of the pages in this book. This heartwarming memoir is penned by Tom Herstad, Margie’s son. It consists of detailed anecdotes of her life, including stories of the people whom she helped, and those whose lives she touched in some way. Margie’s legacy lives on through this book. Like her, it will continue to teach, inspire, and encourage others.

I enjoy reading memoirs because they present fascinating insights into another soul’s experience here on Earth. I always feel like I have met someone new after I finish reading them. When I completed this memoir, I felt as if I had made a new friend. Margie truly was a beautiful soul. When I read about how she offered others a place to stay during difficult times in their life, or looked after their kids, or helped others to die peacefully when their time came, I felt a deep sense of awe and admiration. Her ability to sense the energy of others around her was extraordinary. I think the author perfectly captured Margie’s motherly personality together with her beliefs, and her unique way of life.

One of the most distinctive features of this book was the multitude of life lessons one can learn from it. These were not directly apparent, but readers can easily pick up on them from the anecdotes that described Margie’s life. For instance, there was a beautiful description of how Margie wanted the author’s son to own his unique identity since he was a mixed-race child. She explained to him that he was ahead of our time because he represented the color we will all be one day when all of the world’s races eventually mixed. Margie was also courageous enough to end her second relationship because it was not beneficial to her alcoholism recovery. Furthermore, her caring nature expanded to animals. She cared for dogs, birds, and even a wild hen that wandered into their premises.

The author included several photos in the book. I appreciated looking at these because I was able to link faces with the names that were mentioned. It was nice to see what Margie looked like since she was the main character in the book. Additionally, some pictures brought a smile to my face because they were so endearing. One example was the photo captioned, ‘Visiting Grandma’s Together’ which depicted a group of happy kids. There was even a photo of the chair which Margie used to assign timeouts when she babysat children. The author also shared pictures from his childhood, such as when they went fishing with their father. These pictures gave fascinating insights into the author’s life and his memories.

This memoir had an excellent layout. The anecdotes were properly titled and sorted into chapters. The text-to-image ratio was fitting for the book as it made it interesting and easy to read. I believe the book was professionally edited since I only came across a few minor errors like typos and missing quotation marks.

In conclusion, I am awarding Love, Care and Share 4 out of 4 stars for its inspirational account of Margie, a remarkable woman that graced the Earth with her presence. This memoir will appeal to readers who enjoy reading true stories about motivational people. Those who have lost a motherly figure in their lives may also find solace in reading this memoir. However, those who don’t like memoirs may not enjoy this book.

Love, Care and Share
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Keslerae
Currently Reading: Rionsod
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keslerae.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Keslerae »

What a heartwarming review! Thank you Kristy for describing this book so adequately, I have only read a few memoirs about various historical figures but your review entices me to delve a little deeper and read more books of this caliber. Your ability to properly analyze and explain Margie's story will likely impact this books popularity. I know that I for one have been impacted and I will keep my eye out for Love, Care, and Share.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

What a selfless novel. The fact that Margie graced the Earth with her presence makes one wants to emulate her lifestyle. Great review Kristy.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like Mary Margaret was quite the woman. I appreciate the lessons that can be learned from her life, but I don't think this is a book that would capture my attention. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Keslerae wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 15:51 What a heartwarming review! Thank you Kristy for describing this book so adequately, I have only read a few memoirs about various historical figures but your review entices me to delve a little deeper and read more books of this caliber. Your ability to properly analyze and explain Margie's story will likely impact this books popularity. I know that I for one have been impacted and I will keep my eye out for Love, Care, and Share.
Thank you for commenting :) I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

The cover of the book is beautiful. Looking up at a sunny sky through a bunch of trees is one of my most favorite views. I wish I could be more like Margie. Her story sounds very inspirational.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

What a lovely testament of a son's love for his mother! This sounds like an inspiring book. Thanks for your heart-warming review!
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

What a lovely review there! I'm amazed at how gracefully you described the book, I can really feel that you liked it, the emotions emanate from the text and inspire readers to reach for that book. Wow, I am trully impressed with your style of writing, the choice of words and the skill with which you summarize the book. Thank you!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 00:37 What a lovely review there! I'm amazed at how gracefully you described the book, I can really feel that you liked it, the emotions emanate from the text and inspire readers to reach for that book. Wow, I am trully impressed with your style of writing, the choice of words and the skill with which you summarize the book. Thank you!
Thank you so much! I feel really happy that you enjoyed my writing <3
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

I can feel the passion coming from your review, Mary Margaret was a phenomenal woman and i am glad that she is immortalized in this way. Great review.
CreativeK67
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CreativeK67 »

What a wonderful review. Can't wait to read this book and learn for about Margie's life.
Goldencheese3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldencheese3.html
Latest Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by Goldencheese3 »

"I enjoy reading memoirs because they present fascinating insights into another soul’s experience here on Earth...." I enjoy reading well-written memoirs too like this one according to your well-written review.
flourishbenson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by flourishbenson »

what a wonderful book to behold. can't wait to read this lovely book. hope to gain from it. so I can relate well wt people around me.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”