Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beauty Kalu22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-segunjohn.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Re: Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Beauty Kalu22 »

Thank you for a well detailed and honest review. I've always loved non fiction books and this sounds like one I'll definitely love to have for myself.
Richard Chingulo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Richard Chingulo »

This book is well articulated highlighting issues to deal with racial discrimination which Dr.Douglas over came through hard work and commitment despite his upbringing which was full of ups and downs.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Thanks for the review. The plot is interesting and captivating. I look forward to reading it.
MOHAMMAD HARUN
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by MOHAMMAD HARUN »

this douglas story is indeed very extraordinary. a genius person, can be used as a life lesson, and his story is very useful for my life in the future..thank you
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

Racism is still a major issue till today. But am glad that Dr.Douglas was able to perserve till the end. Nice review.
Jatto Onimisi
Currently Reading: Shitolian
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jatto-onimisi.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Jatto Onimisi »

While I adore Douglas's doggedness in navigating life's challenges, I believe stereotypes like those promoted through racial discrimination are unnecessary complications of the complexity of life. It's sad how many generations have been victims of this scourge. The review justifiably describes this book in detail and moves readers to take a look for themselves.
Sumto Nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumto-nii.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sumto Nii »

And the shocking thing is that racism is still very prevalent in our society today. I love the subject matter of this book. And I love the author's resilience.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

This is an interesting story to follow. Dr Douglas exposes how uncivilised other institutions are. Am glad he was a determined man, he persevered and achieved his dream.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83952
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1153%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

This book is a reflection of events and people that made Douglas to be the person he ended up to be he was shocked by the racism he received from white American and the culture prejudice struggling with Faith and identify from black Americans, he grew up in poverty to develop drugs that fight diabetes, seizure and cancer he lived a life based on value, hardworking and self control this book made my day my second favorite book it it and I will highly recommend it 💯
Obanla Roseline
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Obanla Roseline »

I adore DrDouglas for book because many youth have been in this issues but all thank to Douglas for the book that bring light to us. I love the author. Nice review
Richard Algo
Currently Reading: The Unraveling
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Richard Algo »

"Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr. Frank L. Douglas is a compelling memoir that offers a unique perspective on race and identity in America. Dr. Douglas shares his life story, from his humble beginnings in the small island of Antigua to his rise as a successful physician in the United States.

The book is divided into chapters that cover various defining moments in Dr. Douglas's life, from his childhood memories of growing up in Antigua to his experiences as a medical student in the United States. He does an excellent job of weaving personal anecdotes with historical events, providing readers with a nuanced understanding of the complexities of race relations in America.

One of the strengths of this book is Dr. Douglas's ability to write with honesty and vulnerability. He shares personal stories that are at times painful, but always thought-provoking. Through his writing, Dr. Douglas invites readers to reflect on their own experiences with race and identity, encouraging a deeper understanding of the issues facing Black Americans today.

Another strength of this book is the way Dr. Douglas contextualizes his own story within the broader history of race relations in America. He discusses the impact of historical events such as the Civil Rights Movement and the election of Barack Obama on his own life and the lives of Black Americans more broadly. His reflections on these events are insightful and offer a unique perspective on their significance.

Dr. Douglas also touches on the importance of mentorship and the role that it played in his own life. He credits many of his successes to the guidance of mentors, and encourages readers to seek out similar relationships in their own lives.

Overall, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" is a powerful and thought-provoking memoir that offers readers a unique perspective on race and identity in America. Dr. Douglas's writing is honest and vulnerable, inviting readers to reflect on their own experiences with race and identity. His reflections on historical events are insightful, and his emphasis on the importance of mentorship is inspiring.

The book is well-written and engaging, making it an easy and enjoyable read despite the weighty subject matter. It is an important addition to the conversation on race relations in America, and is sure to resonate with readers of all backgrounds. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in understanding the complexities of race and identity in America, and to anyone looking for an inspiring memoir about overcoming adversity and achieving success.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A MEMORY BY DR FRANK L.DOUGLAS WHO TELLS US THE STORY OF HIS DIFFICULT LIFE IN BRITISH GUIANA, HIS SCHOLARSHIP AND THE RACIAL DISCRIMINATION OF WHICH HE WAS VICTIM IN THE UNITED STATES.
AND FINALLY, HIS COURAGE AND DETERMINATION TO REALIZE HIS DREAMS.GOOD REVIEW
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

There are many who see their lives in Dr. Douglas story. Being caught up in the veils of societal perceptions, while in the pursuit of educational and personal excellence. It requires a amazing strength of will and grace to dare through the odds. Good review
Reetika Dawar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reetika-dawar.html
Latest Review: The Illusion of Superiority by Christopher Joseph

Post by Reetika Dawar »

Dr Douglas's memoir will truly inspire many ;especially people who have faced racial discrimination. It's shocking for most of too to see it still in the 21st century and so was he ;when he first landed in USA to study. I liked the honesty depicted in his writing and there is so much truth in what he has described like discrimination in schools and promotions.He has dedicated the book to his family and grandchildren so that they know the struggle from childhood for his whole life a Black man has to go through despite of the so called independence .I loved reading the review and will get the book soon
Reetika D
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83952
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1153%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📖 of the day BOTD is non fiction dr.frank.l.doughlas growing up in poverty to developing drugs that fight diabetes, seizure and cancer, his life was based on value, hardworking and self control on his successful journey he was met by racism prejudice, struggle with Faith and identity the book is a reflection of events and people that made him the person he is today the book was well written and reviewed I will recommend it 💯✅📚

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”