Official Review: Head Waggling in Delhi by Eytan Uliel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Head Waggling in Delhi by Eytan Uliel

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Head Waggling in Delhi" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Head Waggling in Delhi and Other Travel Tales from an Epic Journey around India is a travel memoir by Eytan Uliel. He candidly captures the essence of India through his writing and details the multi-faceted Indian lifestyle and culture with a lively fusion of witty humor and a grand sense of adventure. He describes the journey that he and his girlfriend take from Varanasi to Delhi as two lone backpacker tourists in the 1990s. For Uliel, living in India presents an array of challenges in addition to the culture clash, but he realizes that it is also a land filled with rich history, unique people, fascinating culture, and breathtaking natural landscapes.

According to Uliel, one of the most distinctive features of Indians is their habit of frequent nodding, which he calls ‘head waggling’. He describes it as a whole other language, where a waggle can have a multitude of different meanings. Although he encounters pockets of different cultures within the various towns of India, one unique characteristic binds all of India’s people, regardless of their social status – head waggling. His book, aptly named, is the main reason why I chose to read this travel memoir. The title intrigued me because it was different, and I sensed that this book was going to be an epic read. I was not disappointed.

I loved Uliel’s conversational tone throughout the book. His humorous way of story-telling made me burst out laughing more than once. I liked how he described characters based on their garments, such as ‘Red Pants’ and ‘Floral Shirt’. One memorable incident occurred in Goa, where he hung out his laundry outside to dry and was reprimanded by a fellow tourist for packing too many underwears. I felt like he was telling me his travel stories in person as if he had just gotten back from India and I was his friend excitedly hanging on to every delicious morsel of adventure and laughing at every hilarious situation he seemed to find himself in.

India’s rich history was one of the most fascinating things in the book. In addition to writing about various places in India, Uliel also included historical information about them. The world-famous Taj Mahal had a very heartwarming history behind its construction. The caves of Ajanta and the mysterious hex placed upon the carvings there by the original inhabitants were extremely fascinating to read about. The strange historical tale of the nearly impenetrable fort at Daulatabad was gory but captivating. Whereas historical accounts tend to make dull reading, Uliel’s descriptions were vivaciously written. I truly relished reading about India’s history in this book.

I appreciated that the author not only wrote about his positive experiences in India, but he also described the country’s undesirable countenances like the frustrations of traveling via rail, the extreme weather, the blatant poverty and homelessness, the sad fates of young women in the red-light districts, and the brazen extortion of money by locals. Including these features helped me to get a real, uncensored account of life in India.

Uliel’s travel memoir is certainly worth reading. There are only a few errors, but they are minor things like typos which do not limit the reading experience. I believe the book was professionally edited. This book deserves a perfect rating. Uliel captured the true spirit of India and its diverse cultures, places, history, people, and lifestyle with his witty story-telling. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. This book will appeal most to fans of adventure and travel. People who have visited India may also enjoy reading about Uliel’s relatable experiences. However, this book will not appeal to readers who dislike reading about travel, people, and culture.

Head Waggling in Delhi
View: on Bookshelves
Books_life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-life.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by Books_life »

What a neat review. You have sold this book to me. Hope to read it soon.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I know little about India, and I'm interested in the head waggling for sure. I can't quite picture that. I don't know if this would fully capture my attention. I might, though, just have to try it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Oh, I like this. I've had an interest in India ever since I was a child and I've become familiar with both its public and private faces. That Uliel managed to retain a sense of humour despite the sadder aspects is encouraging.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Many cultures have unique meanings for hand movements and motions. This waggling of the head is unique and I appreciate the author noticing this cultural idiosyncrasy. I really enjoyed the way you described the author's depictions of his travels. This looks like an interesting and educative book. Thanks for the captivating review!
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

I enjoyed reading your review very much. It is informational and engaging. You convinced me to give this book try. Great job on the review!
Rea_der
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rea-der.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Rea_der »

Wow, this review gives me family like feeling :)
I haven't seen many Indian books here This is also not by an Indian author but still its about india, i feel connection with this book.
Great review, thanks!
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Although this isn't my genre, I did enjoy learning about the history of head waggling in India.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I agree wholeheartedly with you that his writing style is so natural
and conversational. I read the first few pages and wanted to keep on with it. I appreciate your insight on the book and am strongly considering reading this one. Thanks for the recommendation.
Everything happens for a reason...
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 350

Post by Tars »

I don't like non-fiction and not really all that fond of travels as well. Therefore those travel guides, memoirs, journals and notes are completely out of my interest sphere. No offense, but I will have to pass this one. Congrats on BOTD all the same!
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

This seems like a well-written, fascinating book, but I've had my own experiences with India so I think I'll pass on this read. I'm sure his perspective is different from mine but I'd rather not compare them. Thanks for a lovely review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a non-fiction travel memoire that explores India and its cultures and lifestyles with humour, adventure, and a sense of open wonder. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has a perfectly written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @eytanuliel on the BOTD selection.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for the review, but I'm really not into travelogues, and one covering India is a definite 'no' for me.
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

Eytan candidly captures the essence of India through his writings and gives us the details of India's multi faceted cultures.India 's rich history was one of the most fascinating things in the book.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

Head Waggling in Delhi by Eytan Uliel sounds pretty amazing. With as much as I love memoirs, I will have to skip this book. All the same, I will recommend it. Great review.
Books are beautiful.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”