Official Review: Hammer & Silicon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Hammer & Silicon

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hammer & Silicon" by Puffer, McCarthy and Satinsky.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hammer & Silicon by Puffer, McCarthy and Satinsky contains enlightening research work that focuses on the contribution of different professionals from the former Soviet Union to the innovation economy in the US.

Through the accounts of one-hundred and fifty-seven (157) interviewees, I began to understand the impact these and many other professionals have had in the US. The book focuses on the three migrations. In Wave One (1972-1986), immigrants composed primarily of Soviet Jews. Wave Two started in 1987 through the 1990s and was mainly caused by the collapse of the Soviet Union. The Third Wave began at the start of the century as Russia became more integrated into the world economy. The book also explores the role played by formal and informal institutions in the former Soviet Union, the differences and the adaptation of immigrants into a foreign business culture, the interviewees’ individual experiences and contributions to the innovation in the US and matters pertaining to their identity.

Hammer & Silicon is well-researched and follows the lives of the professionals not only in the US but also in their former countries. The differences between the two regions in terms of their business practices and their processes of building a professional workforce are clearly seen. The diversity in the content where the authors explore various themes from the interviewees’ personal experiences to the broader topics that include the former Soviet Union’s institutions and way of governance ultimately form a fascinating book with a range of many interesting aspects.

I also liked that the book focused on innovation and how the Soviet Union prepared the immigrants to thrive in sectors that rely heavily on innovation such as medicine, social media, software development and other relevant areas. Many similar books focus on the cultural aspects of immigration and in an age where the term “immigrant” has become the focus of many topics, I think it is important to understand their contribution as far as business and innovation are concerned.

The editing of the book is done professionally and its structure is well-designed. Every topic in each chapter is well-explored and discussions are exhaustive. The personal accounts are interesting to read mainly because they are told from the first person and from the immigrants’ point of view. The use of interviews in the compilation of the book definitely adds to the book’s authentic content.

I rate Hammer & Silicon 4 out of 4 stars. It is an informative read for every reader interested in learning about the contribution of immigrants from the former Soviet Union to the US economy.

Hammer & Silicon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

this is a very interesting book, I love the review and I know for sure I will enjoy the book too.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I find the Soviet Union fascinating. However, I'm usually more interested in their lives there, not as much about how it prepared them for the US. It sounds good for those that enjoy this genre, but I don't think that's me. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

It is always a joy to read a book that has been edited professionally with a well-designed structure. I will be checking out this book because you assured us that every topic in each chapter is well-explored and discussions are exhaustive. Thanks for a detailed and candid review!
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

I like how the author has researched well in this book full of facts.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”