Official Review: It's Just a Matter of Balance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: It's Just a Matter of Balance

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It's Just a Matter of Balance" by Kevin S. Garrison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kevin Garrison started his life as a very healthy child. He enjoyed running and playing as much as any kid and was even part of the wrestling team in high school. So at the tender age of 16, after a lump appears on his foot, he isn't too concerned. When it turns out to be cancerous, he's forced to face the very real possibility of the amputation of his foot. In It's Just a Matter of Balance, we join Kevin on his journey from anger to acceptance.

I was very impressed with this book. Not only does Mr. Garrison have much to teach us, he does so in a way that is entertaining and, at times, almost poetic. The story flows along in a very smooth manner and is organized chronologically so as to avoid confusion. Though it's non-fiction, I kept being pulled back into the story, wanting to see how Kevin progressed in his life. I wanted to see where he was headed, his final destination, so to speak.

Honestly, there were only a few issues with the book, and they were very minor. First, there were some sentences that appeared in a box. I think the author was trying to emphasize certain sentences. However, some of them just didn't feel like they were important enough to delineate in this manner. Secondly, in the epilogue, Mr. Garrison briefly tells us about a few more sticking points in his life. This felt like too much of an afterthought to me. I would like to have seen these covered in the main course of the novel as a way of showing us a few more of Kevin's struggles.

Despite these problems, I enjoyed learning more about Kevin, especially in his young adult years. His attitude isn't always positive, which I thought was extremely realistic. Not many of us would have good thoughts just after learning that part of our body was to be cut off. This would be quite inspirational for those that are facing that situation themselves, but I found it useful even in my everyday life with the full use of my limbs.

I enthusiastically give It's Just a Matter of Balance 4 out of 4 stars. There were no editing issues and very few grammatical errors. I found the book to flow well from one chapter into the next, making it quite easy to read. I highly recommend it to any amputees, future amputees or those thinking of going into prosthetics or orthotics. More than that, I think it would be useful for anyone struggling with their attitudes in life. I found it to be quite encouraging myself.

It's Just a Matter of Balance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

My impression is that it's an inspiring book. I am intrigued by the story and I think I could use some useful lessons from it. Thank you for the enlightening review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 05:22 My impression is that it's an inspiring book. I am intrigued by the story and I think I could use some useful lessons from it. Thank you for the enlightening review.
Yes! It's definitely quite inspiring. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like an inspiring and enlightening read, as well as a great resource. Thanks for the detailed review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

gen_g wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 09:46 This seems like an inspiring and enlightening read, as well as a great resource. Thanks for the detailed review!
Oh yes! There's so much to learn. I admire the author for taking his "disability" and turning it into an opportunity!
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Sounds like a heart-warming, inspiring story.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

teacherjh wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 13:29 Sounds like a heart-warming, inspiring story.
It is! Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I was very impressed with this book. Not only does Mr. Garrison have much to teach us, he does so in a way that is entertaining and, at times, almost poetic. The story flows along in a very smooth manner and is organized chronologically so as to avoid confusion. Though it's non-fiction, I kept being pulled back into the story, wanting to see how Kevin progressed in his life. I wanted to see where he was headed, his final destination, so to speak.
This sounds like a book I would really enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It sounds like an inspiring book for anyone that is going through a similar experience. I'd like to read how he pushes himself through it. Great review!
:tiphat:
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Though the book seems to contain a heartbreaking story of Kevin suffering from cancer (I assume he was no longer able to play his favourite sport anymore😢), I like the fact that it was written in the entertaining and poetic manner. Fascinating review!
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan »

Thanks for your very insightful review. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to skip this one.

Good job on your review :D
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 19:46
This sounds like a book I would really enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation!
It really was interesting and inspirational at the same time. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 21:08 It sounds like an inspiring book for anyone that is going through a similar experience. I'd like to read how he pushes himself through it. Great review!
It was inspirational no matter your circumstances. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 04:12 Though the book seems to contain a heartbreaking story of Kevin suffering from cancer (I assume he was no longer able to play his favourite sport anymore😢), I like the fact that it was written in the entertaining and poetic manner. Fascinating review!
He takes this negative experience and turns it into something positive. What more could you ask for? Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Keevan wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 17:45 Thanks for your very insightful review. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to skip this one.

Good job on your review :D
I understand. Not every book is for every person. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”